DW5600C vs. DW5600E ?

Thread: DW5600C vs. DW5600E ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Confused DW5600C vs. DW5600E ?

Okay all, I have a question..Is there a reason to choose a DW5600C, off the web somewhere, plus the spare bezel, band, battery, new seal, and have it restored to as like as new condition as possible, versus just getting a brand new DW5600E model? I'm thinking the 5600C choice is based on having a nice example in your collection, sentimentality..

I like the 'Indiglo' backlight feature actually more than the straight small bulb light on the 5600C. But a lot of people feel there's better quality on the screw down caseback and buttons. Plus dealing with an older module, who knows what it's been put through, or how long it would last under use.

I live in a very hot, humid, dirty, environment, and I'm hard on my watches. I'd be planning on the G Shock lasting a lot of years with a lot of hard use. You can take a vintage 6309 Seiko diver and probably restore it to like new cosmetically, but I hear the movement can still be 'tired', and it's NOT really a good idea to dive with them, even with new seals, because of caseback warpage over time and use, crown tubes, etc.

I don't like the looks of the 'Spike Lee' edition, or the 'dot' displays on the upper right of the newer models. it reminds me of the old 'dot matrix' printing. So, basically I see those as my choices.

There's never a 'perfect' watch... What are your thoughts guys?

Dave

Re: DW5600C vs. DW5600E ?

Hi Dave If you plan on "hard use" I'd go 5600E if you want a "nice example" for the collection then 5600C is my answer. I just can't see hard use and nice (sustaining) example as being the same watch- for very long anyway . Probably not a good answer but just my .02 Cheers -Ronbo

For everyday use I'd go with the 5600E, much easier to replace and, as you said, the backlight is better.
    The screw-down caseback can be considered of better quality, but the 5600E stands the G-Shock high resistance criteria. The fact is that it's quite common to see people in Brasil with their 5600C without the resin besel, a thing that wouldn't be possible with the 5600E, but I'd only recommend the 5600C for collectors or, as in my case, undecided persons

Here's my DW-5600C, DW-5600E, GW-M5600BC and GW-5000

Audaces Fortuna Juvat
    If I have to choose between people or watches... I choose people everytime!
    Cheers,
    Paulo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Paulo, ronbo!:thanks Okay, one step closer!

Some more questions guys...is it worth getting a spare band, bezel, battery for the 5600E now when you purchase it? Or by the time you need it, the spare parts might be brittle, cracked too? Is it better to wait until you actually need it/them?

I've noticed a DEFINITE difference between Energizer brand batteries and other brands when you're dealing with the bigger AA or AAA. That's all I'll use for durability and longevity. Is it the same with watch batteries?

Stupid question, but how is it advisable to clean your G? I've always used a soft nylon toothbrush, warm water and hand soap on my S/S divers, and then towel dried. Never once had any problems. I don't like the idea of sweat and gunk building up on my watch.

Dave

As long as these parts remain available, I see no gain in storing them at home. It's a different case if it's a special edition, then you should get the spares and keep them at home (away from light, of course).

Regarding watch batteries, I have no idea.

In order to clean well a G you should disassemble the bezel and give it the treatement you mentioned.

Audaces Fortuna Juvat
    If I have to choose between people or watches... I choose people everytime!
    Cheers,
    Paulo

Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    As long as these parts remain available, I see no gain in storing them at home. It's a different case if it's a special edition, then you should get the spares and keep them at home (away from light, of course).
    Agreed...Especially for a mass produced $40 watch

Banned
    Brokeback Mountain, The Balkans, N. Korea, NY, The Middle East.....all the nice places on earth

I prefer the all stainless steel DW5000SL if you want a watch that's just as good and even better than the old vintage DW5600C. You can find a brand new DW5000SL on Ebay for $130. Do it! Get one!

Hi- I just got this bezel & strap for my DW-5600C-9BV and I am actually thinking about getting another set lol. I used a little Maguairs rubber & vinyl cleaner on my resin vintage G-Shock bands and the come out great. It's a mild car care product. It also preserves them from becoming brittle. I would much rather spend the funds on more G Shocks but if there's a little left over I like to get a few spare parts (especially the resin) Because llike the Bull Bars (I am searching for) they may ... disappear :). Cheers-Ronbo

I agree with the earlier postings, get a 5600E for rough use and if you want a classic for other times the 5600C is a great watch. Both are great and will perform well, but if it were me I'd buy a $35 E model to use and abuse, I just like my C to stay pristine.

As others have said a screwback 5000 model is another possibility, and plenty to choose from there, not just the skipelee model

Thanks guys for all chiming in:thanks~ I'll probably go ahead and get a DW5600E. My watchmaker said it's the most basic model, and runs $41 USD in Hong Kong. I might be able to find it here, but you're probably paying 'tourist', or 'long nose tax' heavily prices. It's not available here locally in Bicol, I do go to Manila on Oct. 3rd for a few days.

I asked how much for these services;

.Get it, and give it the once over, see if anything is misaligned or wonky.

.Install the correct Energizer watch battery for that model.

.Time it on the machine?

.Put in a new gasket.

.Lube/grease the gasket, and the pushers.

He asked, "Why, it's brand new, and a $41 USD watch?" I guess he's right....

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information