DW5600e-1 or GW5600 atomic tough solar? Which would you choose?

View Poll Results: Which 5600 should I get...

Voters
38. This poll is closed
  • DW5600e-1

14 36.84%
  • GW5600j-1 atomic tough solar

24 63.16%

Thread: DW5600e-1 or GW5600 atomic tough solar? Which would you choose?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DW5600e-1 or GW5600 atomic tough solar? Which would you choose?

I like the square, classic design.

I love the classic and would be happy to wear the basic model.

I also like the size of the GW's display.

Atomic solar intrigues me, but I've heard the functionality is not all it's cracked up to be, inconvenient and impractical.

But it's down to these two. Which would you choose?

Re: DW5600e-1 or GW5600 atomic tough solar? Which would you choose?

atomic/solar is inconvenient because the users make it that way. their OCD traits takes over their common sense and they force themselves to resort to all silly habits to ensure that their watch is 100% functioning. and then when they miss an atomic sync or if the watch has been underneath a sleeve for more than an hour, they come to the forum and ask if the watch is defective or not.

What's a sane approach to using the technology? Are there certain maintenance requirements?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like the basic. It does most everything I want. Actually, I'm finding that my basic Gs are still my favourites, all DW's. The others are ok, and I appreciate some of the modern functionality, but they always seem to miss something I like.

I did have a G-5600-1JF. I loved it until the solar cell died. That's the only bad solar experience I've had, and I have quite a few, but it's really put me off.
    Wear what you like.

The best approach is to not approach it at all. I just wear the watch, whether it's a mechanical or solar/atomic. It's best not to worry about the technology and let it work itself on it's own. I think that was the point of technology in the first place. It's either own the device or let the device own you. if it syncs, fantastic. if it doesn't, no big deal, it'll happen eventually.

That sounds sensible. The complaints make it sound like there are casio-prescribed measures that need to be taken to keep the watch on track. But this is not the case?

I had the opotunity to buy the GW5600 a few months back but wasnt over impressed for the price so ill stick to my 5600e ,.

paul

I felt the same about the DW5600ms-1 I just returned. I opened it up and thought $72? Really?

But I would have kept it if it weren't so hard to read.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Junkie View Post
    atomic/solar is inconvenient because the users make it that way. their OCD traits takes over their common sense and they force themselves to resort to all silly habits to ensure that their watch is 100% functioning. and then when they miss an atomic sync or if the watch has been underneath a sleeve for more than an hour, they come to the forum and ask if the watch is defective or not.
    I tend to agree with this. The idea of a watch that's always accurate down to the second as long as it syncs even once in a couple of months is great for me. In addition, as long as you wear it often to expose it to light instead of letting it in the dark corner of a drawer, you should be good to go. I love all my solar atomic watches and I started giving them as gifts. All of the recipients have been impressed with the technology incorporated with these watches. However, if you have OCD with the need to check if it syncs everyday or the fact that the reserve power isn't showing "H", you will probably be better off with the regular DW version.

For every one bad experience reported, there are probably 10 good experiences un-reported. Just keep in mind when you read about solar cells failing and/or atomic not syncing. I've never had a problem with mine but YMMV.

the difference in price is not so large. amazon sold the gw5600j recently for 49 bucks. the cheapest i have seen the dw5600e was around 39 bucks. for such a small difference in price, i would get the additional atomic and solar functions. some people complain the gw5600j doesn't have the day of the week on display with the date but it doesn't bother me. i would gladly give up the day of the week for larger digits, atomic, and solar. it is all a preference.
    "It is the hour of pearl—the interval between day and night when time stops and examines itself."
    -j. steinbeck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information