DW5600e back from the dead!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cornelius

Thread: DW5600e back from the dead!

DW5600e back from the dead!

Just want to share a little success story.. My trusty bog standard 5600w got flooded during a swim during the holidays. All due to a misaligned gasket..

Well, I opened it up noticed a lot of water, took it apart, dried all the parts with a hair drier, popped in a new battery and it just worked!

Was I really lucky or is this common with e G-Shocks? I just counted on it to be shorted. So well worth a try if you'd find yourself in the same position.
    Rocat likes this.

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Re: DW5600e back from the dead!

Water damage to electronics is depending on the water in contact

If the water is very salty is will short the circuit of a watch and let it go blank instantly. Due to electrochemical corrosion the battery and the contacts will beginn to degrade. usually the circuit board is damaged after some minutes if you not remove the power source and stop the corrosion.
    If you dry this electronic without rinsing away the ionized water with fresh (de-mineralized) water then the died out salt "crust" may stay on the board and damage it further in presence of slight amounts of air humidity.
    In fact de-mineralized water can be used (and is used) to cool running electronics directly in some applications.

In your lucky case the water was probably not that salty and there isnt enought salt residue (you may have blown out the water with the drier rather then drying it) to harm the functionality.
    But you may expierience some long-time damage or higher battery comsumption, depending of the minerals left on the board.

But of course i hope your G was not damaged and will run for years without problems!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Just want to share a little success story.. My trusty bog standard 5600w got flooded during a swim during the holidays. All due to a misaligned gasket..

Well, I opened it up noticed a lot of water, took it apart, dried all the parts with a hair drier, popped in a new battery and it just worked!

Was I really lucky or is this common with e G-Shocks? I just counted on it to be shorted. So well worth a try if you'd find yourself in the same position.

Re: DW5600e back from the dead!

It was pool water. Since it was the simple 5600 I didn't think much of it. It went blank instantly, and as I was far from my tools, about 2700km :)

it was flooded for about a week before I opened it up. Perhaps the battery was shorted first. Electronics and water is not problem as long as there is no current.

Thread Information