dw5600e crystal stealth mod
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: dw5600e crystal stealth mod

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

dw5600e crystal stealth mod

Hi everyone I recently got a 5600MS module and was going to transplant it in an E and I'd like to black out the crystal, similar to this thread https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/ste...ek-852350.html anyone have any tips on removing the crystal?

Edit: I used a hair dryer and pushed slowly from the back, took me a few minutes before I noticed it was slowly coming out, so I used the hair dryer more then pushed harder and it finally came free.
    Last edited by woodt3; October 17th, 2013 at 23:18.

Re: Removing 5600E crystal

Removing that crystal will probably be pretty similar to this thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/dw5...al-906169.html

Since the 5600-E doesn't have a metal case, that might work for OR against you, depending on how it might "flex" when you try to remove the crystal.
    Last edited by Mike K; October 17th, 2013 at 22:39.

Funny because I started that thread too :p I got the crystal removed, but I don't get how to remove the graphics. The thread I linked to says to scrape it. Currently I am trying a solvent but it doesn't seem to do much, the back of the crystal has black stuff on it that I thought was just paint but it may just need a soak.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by woodt3 View Post
    Funny because I started that thread too :p
    Ha! Yes, you did, and I hadn't even noticed!

I got the crystal removed, but I don't get how to remove the graphics.
    Sounds as though this thread needs to be retitled, if you've got the crystal out already -- that was FAST!

I've got no ideas or experience with what type of paint that is on the crystal, or what sort of solvent you'll need to get that off. My best guess is "something strong, like turpentine or acetone, PLUS lots of time."

Looking forward to seeing the finished project, though!

Got the crystal paint removed, put a small square of painters tape where there should be no paint, I think the trick will be getting a clean line, removed more paint than I probably should have, if I left more it would be easier to tape off, but I wanted the white line removed and it was hard to be precise. Now the question is, matte black or gloss black for the crystal?

Got the crystal paint removed, put a small square of painters tape where there should be no paint, I think the trick will be getting a clean line, removed more paint than I probably should have....
    Completely hypothetical since I've never done this with a watch, but I built a ton of plastic models back in the day....

I think the best way to get a clean line (or more specifically, four clean lines) would be to paint the crystal in four stages, with each "stage" being one side of the rectangle. rather than trying to peel one rectangle of tape off cleanly.

Since you're working with crystal and not plastic, though, if you do go with the rectangle: after the paint is dry you can work from the middle of the tape to the outside, rather than trying to lift the tape from the edge and possibly scraping off any of the fresh paint!

Now the question is, matte black or gloss black for the crystal?
    The shiny vs. matte finish won't matter since the paint will be on the inside of the glass, but according to the guys at my local hobby shop, flat paint will provide a more opaque layer than gloss, if both paints are put on at the same thickness. (I was asking them because I wanted a bright, opaque white paint for a black G-Shock bezel.) Based on that, I think that I'd go with flat or matte paint.
    G-fob likes this.

I thought about painting each side separately, wasn't sure if it'd come out better that way, I'll try it. I got gloss :/ Interesting flat would be more opaque though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Completely hypothetical since I've never done this with a watch, but I built a ton of plastic models back in the day....

I think the best way to get a clean line (or more specifically, four clean lines) would be to paint the crystal in four stages, with each "stage" being one side of the rectangle. rather than trying to peel one rectangle of tape off cleanly.

Since you're working with crystal and not plastic, though, if you do go with the rectangle: after the paint is dry you can work from the middle of the tape to the outside, rather than trying to lift the tape from the edge and possibly scraping off any of the fresh paint!

The shiny vs. matte finish won't matter since the paint will be on the inside of the glass, but according to the guys at my local hobby shop, flat paint will provide a more opaque layer than gloss, if both paints are put on at the same thickness. (I was asking them because I wanted a bright, opaque white paint for a black G-Shock bezel.) Based on that, I think that I'd go with flat or matte paint.
    Edit: Painting has recommenced for the third and final time. Its looking much better now, although for some reason no matter what I seem to do I can't get it perfectly centered, I think it'll look good nonetheless, pictures will be up after its dry and reassembled.
    Last edited by woodt3; October 18th, 2013 at 02:59.

Re: dw5600e crystal stealth mod

Can't get a clean line with the tape I'm using so I may try the rectangle method

So, the rectangle method worked well, but I damaged the paint trying to put back in the crystal. Is there a trick to getting it in? Can it be done without a press?

Can't get a clean line with the tape I'm using so I may try the rectangle method
    "Painter's tape" sounds like a paper-type masking tape, which is great for masking woodwork but I'm not sure how clean a line it would make on a smooth surface like a watch crystal. I'd think a smoother tape like vinyl electrical tape might work better. (Your project is making me want to try this on MY old "stealthed" and negative display modded DW-5600E!)

What sort(s) of solvent worked in taking off the old paint/printing?

In retrospect, do you think it would be possible without removing the crystal?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information