DW6600 Battery Replacement Problem

Thread: DW6600 Battery Replacement Problem

DW6600 Battery Replacement Problem

My first post and I'm hoping someone can help...

I've had a DW6600, with an 1199 module since it was given to me new in 1994. No issues. Ever. Recently, the digits were disappearing whenever EL button was pressed, so I figured it was time for a new battery. I took it to a reputable place in the area. The guy tried, but mistakingly put the battery in upside down, so the polarity was wrong. Digits read all 8's. The new battery was put in properly, and the watch keeps the corrrect time, but now the watch is really acting up. Without pressing any buttons the watch will start making a high-frequency sound (think of a hearing test) that goes on for a long time. The beeps from button presses, top-of-hour and alarm now sound "crackly" at times, and less frequently - the entire display will disappear. The sound will stop on its' own after some time, and when the display disappears, a few button presses will bring it back.

I searched the forums, and haven't found anything with similar symptoms. Has anyone experienced this, and could possibly tell me how to fix it? The watch has a lot of sentimental value, and I'm hoping it can be fixed.

Brian

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Re: DW6600 Battery Replacement Problem

did you reset the module after battery replacement?

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was told the module was reset, but I wasn't able to confirm. After getting the info from this forum, I asked the shop to make sure they performed the AC reset, and to even leave the watch open without the battery to perhaps let the capacitors drain. Unfortunately, I not sure if either of those steps were done.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

One more thing I should add, and it worries me...

Putting the watch on my wrist seems to start the issues, so I experimented a bit. A piece of the band rests against the back plate. When putting the watch on, the band changes the pressure on the plate, which starts/stops or changes the high-frequency noise. I wonder if during the battery replacement, something happened to the alarm spring, and it's causing the noise?

Thread Information