DW6900 Metal Band Conversion!!
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: DW6900 Metal Band Conversion!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DW6900 Metal Band Conversion!!

Aright guys, you may have seen some of these shots in a previous thread, but deal with it ;)
    You know the drill, pictures from phone, words from computer

Essentially, I wanted to try metal band, but didn't feel like forking out for a combi right now. We just happened to have a black bracelet at my shop!

First up, I took out the spring-loaded piece that let you adapt the width of the band, didn't need 'em here! This reduced the size to 18mm.

Up next, marking off how much of the lug I needed to take off, quickest way was to score the lugs a little out of where the ends of the bracelet were.

Then, I used my Leatherman to file back the resin, this was maybe a five minute ordeal. Cleaner ways of doing it, but whatever, this was just a fun bit of science!

Cleaned up the lug holes, fitted the spring bars in, and BAM!

That was yesterday, now that I am at my shop, I was able to add everything back to the watch and size the bracelet. Isn't it pretty?!

Of course a wrist shot is in order. Thanks again to JohnQFord for sending me things to science with, haha. ;)

Alright, suppose I should get back to work or something :P

Have a great day everyone!
    Last edited by TRSCP; May 31st, 2015 at 20:28.

Re: DW6900 Metal Band Conversion!!

Currently I have a mirror dial installed, but I am thinking about taking a spare and spray painting it black, and tossing in a negative display, sort of like a Basic Black. Dumb idea? Maybe, but it's my watch ;) Should also get ahold of a set of black buttons all around for this one.. Future projects!

Quote Originally Posted by TRSCP View Post
    Aright guys, you may have seen some of these shots in a previous thread, but deal with it ;)
    You know the drill, pictures from phone, words from computer

Essentially, I wanted to try metal band, but didn't feel like forking out for a combi right now. We just happened to have a black bracelet at my shop!

First up, I took out the spring-loaded piece that let you adapt the width of the band, didn't need 'em here! This reduced the size to 18mm.

Up next, marking off how much of the lug I needed to take off, quickest way was to score the lugs a little out of where the ends of the bracelet were.

Then, I used my Leatherman to file back the resin, this was maybe a five minute ordeal. Cleaner ways of doing it, but whatever, this was just a fun bit of science!

Cleaned up the lug holes, fitted the spring bars in, and BAM!

That was yesterday, now that I am at my shop, I was able to add everything back to the watch and size the bracelet. Isn't it pretty?!

Of course a wrist shot is in order. Thanks again to JohnQFord for sending me things to science with, haha. ;)

Alright, suppose I should get back to work or something :P

Have a great day everyone!
    Great mod - most would have spent months trying to source a non existent 'conversion' link, love the idea of just filing the lugs - Very "Fast'n'loud" :)
    TRSCP likes this.
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

a/ paint the letters in the bezel black

b/ sand down the letter G at the light button to clear it out

c/ take out the module, then you can take out the dial/face (i believe) and black out

d/ I believe you can pop out the glass, and put it in acetone or alcohol or something to take off all the letters in there - and then put it back

there go you, a gentlemen' digital what... i mean watch / LOLz

Quote Originally Posted by StephenWatch View Post
    Great mod - most would have spent months trying to source a non existent 'conversion' link, love the idea of just filing the lugs - Very "Fast'n'loud" :)
    Thanks!
    Definitely fast, haha. Figured I'd take advantage of what I had on hand, plus the lugs being resin vs. metal. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by G-fob View Post
    a/ paint the letters in the bezel black

b/ sand down the letter G at the light button to clear it out

c/ take out the module, then you can take out the dial/face (i believe) and black out

d/ I believe you can pop out the glass, and put it in acetone or alcohol or something to take off all the letters in there - and then put it back

there go you, a gentlemen' digital what... i mean watch / LOLz
    Was thinking of either paint the letters black or getting rid of the current paint, though I do like the simple red at the top, if that makes sense.

Not sure I want to sand the button down....:(

The dial pops out super easy, and I already have a module flipped to negative, so that's a plus!

I was thinking about clearing the lettering under the crystal. Suppose I have to now in the name of SCIENCE! ;)

I like it, I'll get around to this project at some point, just picked up a multimeter and I have some Tech 12's that badly need to be checked out. (turntables)

Oh! Let's not forget painting the screws and the caseback!!! Could probably paint the four pushers as well...
    Last edited by TRSCP; June 2nd, 2015 at 23:31.

It's a nice mod, but I fear that it might be beyond the skills of many first-timers who come to this forum asking "can I put a metal bracelet on my G-Shock?"

Did you have to drill out or deepen the holes that the springbars fit into? I know you only took a millimeter of material off on each side, but the springbars only insert a couple of millimeters at each end.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    It's a nice mod, but I fear that it might be beyond the skills of many first-timers who come to this forum asking "can I put a metal bracelet on my G-Shock?"

Did you have to drill out or deepen the holes that the springbars fit into? I know you only took a millimeter of material off on each side, but the springbars only insert a couple of millimeters at each end.
    Good question!

Most surprisingly were still fairly deep, but when I got to work, I simply took a tiny flathead screwdriver (size of the lug hole) and spun it around a bit in each of the four, and from different angles, deepening each hole that much more. Spring bars are now super duper snug and pushed all the way out!

As far as the skill involved, I would recommend doing it on a beat up case, and a nice coarse metal file, which you can later tidy up with a finer file if you so wish. Just be sure to mark how far out you want to file!!! Would hate to have the watch head rattle on the band and potentially pop off!!
    Last edited by TRSCP; June 2nd, 2015 at 23:37.
    Mike K likes this.

dw6900MS has black buttons

only 4 bucks each

order 4 of them, not 3 and the other ADJUST button which is shorter

Quote Originally Posted by TRSCP View Post
    Was thinking of either paint the letters black or getting rid of the current paint, though I do like the simple red at the top, if that makes sense.

Not sure I want to sand the button down....:(

The dial pops out super easy, and I already have a module flipped to negative, so that's a plus!

I was thinking about clearing the lettering under the crystal. Suppose I have to now in the name of SCIENCE! ;)

I like it, I'll get around to this project at some point, just picked up a multimeter and I have some Tech 12's that badly need to be checked out. (turntables)

Oh! Let's not forget painting the screws and the caseback!!! Could probably paint the four pushers as well...
    the purpose of my ideal is you creating an anti-Gshock watch, that's why you stealth everything - therefore the G letter at the light button gotta go, ok, buddy ? LOLz
    TRSCP likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information