Dye question

Thread: Dye question

Dye question

This may be a dumb question, but I'm going to ask anyway. Once a watch is dyed a dark color is there anyway to get it back to a lighter color?

Re: Dye question

I think it is possible by using goof-off or bleach to at least get a slightly lighter tone of the color. But it's not possible to completely reverse the process.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

The first time I wanted to undo a dye attempt, I talked to people who worked at two different craft stores about Rit Color Remover, and at both places they recommended using regular chlorine bleach, as used for laundry. "It's basically the same stuff, only cheaper."

As Sedi said, it's not really possible to completely reverse the process (assuming you used Rit dye and successfully dyed a strap or bezel a dark color) but I HAVE lightened a few projects enough to re-dye them another shade or color. Here are two attempts that I took pictures of.

Name:  hue and bleach.JPG
Views: 157
Size:  90.5 KB

I should have quit while I was ahead with the light shade of yellow; I added more dye to get it "more yellow" and it became "more yellow and less bright" in the top right corner. The bottom half of the photo is after I simmered it in about half-and-half Chlorox bleach and water.

Name:  blue and bleach.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  50.9 KB

Left, before; right, after bleaching.

In both examples, the bezels were new, white GW-6900A-7 bezels -- after bleaching they're a sort-of dingy white or gray.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'll have to give it a shot when I get the watch in my hands. It's a GF-8250 and the person didn't care for the yellow. I think it would look good dyed a dark purple if I can get it lighter. If I scew it up I have a new bezel and band on the way anyway in the yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by bagged64 View Post
    I think it would look good dyed a dark purple if I can get it lighter.
    If you can get it lighter than what? The yellow resin that appears to be the normal color of a GF-8250? I'm not sure that you'll be able to lighten that "stock" color at all, but I've never tried to bleach a factory color either.

I'm not sure what you'll get if you try to mix purple dye with factory yellow resin -- I think you'll wind up with some shade of brown, or a sort of murky purple.

Someone alreay dyed it a medium gray from what I can see in the pics. Will be in my hands this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by bagged64 View Post
    Someone alreay dyed it a medium gray from what I can see in the pics.
    Ahhh, okay -- NOW I get it!

Hopefully you can remove some of (or most of) that gray and then dye it the purple you're after!

I hope so, but if not I have the original yellow on it's way. Thanks for the help.

Received the watch yesterday and it is like a dark maroon color which kind of looks cool, although I may try to bleach it and see if it lightens up a little.

Thread Information