Dyed DW-6900FS-8 Resin Set Takes one for the Team **UPDATED Happy Ending in Burning Red**
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Dyed DW-6900FS-8 Resin Set Takes one for the Team **UPDATED Happy Ending in Burning Red**

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Dyed DW-6900FS-8 Resin Set Takes one for the Team **UPDATED Happy Ending in Burning Red**

I had high hopes for this one

Mainly because Yellow Resin is just not available for DW6900's

But even after 20 minutes I knew this was going to be a problem
    The Yellow initially was going in the proper direction.
    But as the color got closer to the proper shade any edges were darkening too fast.

Not much could be done to fix that. I did consider perhaps a longer bath with a new batch
    of Yellow might help but it didn't & I kind of knew things could never catch up unless one had a way
    to stop the edges from darkening further.

Ah well This is how we learn & it is not a total loss as I guess I will soon have an additional Matte Black set

In hindsight I am surprised my Mint colored one came out so evenly colored & did not also have dark edges
    As both are very light shades of color.

Here are a couple garish shots.....
    Funny though in some ways it has an aged resin look to it.
    My 18 year old DW-6900H-9 thrasher is also starting to change shades in edge areas especially the bezel
    Which was another reason I really wanted to be able to get a Yellow Dye going.

Ah well

Name:  DSCF2464.JPG
Views: 413
Size:  224.9 KB

Name:  DSCF2457.JPG
Views: 403
Size:  239.6 KB

Name:  DSCF2468.JPG
Views: 401
Size:  293.7 KB
    Last edited by flying; August 29th, 2015 at 10:06.
    domoon, Kev55, Rocat and 4 others like this.

Re: FS-8 Resin Set Takes one for the Team

TBH it looks pretty good for my untrained eyes :O
    flying and widgydidge like this.

Quote Originally Posted by domoon View Post
    TBH it looks pretty good for my untrained eyes :O
    Thanks domoon but trust me in person it is not good

Although the photos are not re-touched they are not showing the full severity of the dark edges

The 1st photo shows a bit but still not a good yellow & not close to say Lightning Yellow from G-Shock
    Seems to have too much orange tinting
    Although earlier in the dyeing process it was closer to the desired yellow it never got there before going
    too dark on edges & tone going wrong.

Learning experience I guess

I do wonder though before going black with it if I might try a burning red since yellow/orange is the final secondary color
    in a color wheel before primary color Red

Hahah I guess I cant hurt it now & will always have black to fall back into

Thanks
    Izzy_Does_It likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    I had high hopes for this one

Mainly because Yellow Resin is just not available for DW6900's

But even after 20 minutes I knew this was going to be a problem
    The Yellow initially was going in the proper direction.
    But as the color got closer to the proper shade any edges were darkening too fast.

Not much could be done to fix that. I did consider perhaps a longer bath with a new batch
    of Yellow might help but it didn't & I kind of knew things could never catch up unless one had a way
    to stop the edges from darkening further.

Ah well This is how we learn & it is not a total loss as I guess I will soon have an additional Matte Black set

In hindsight I am surprised my Mint colored one came out so evenly colored & did not also have dark edges
    As both are very light shades of color.

Here are a couple garish shots.....
    Funny though in some ways it has an aged resin look to it.
    My 18 year old DW-6900H-9 thrasher is also starting to change shades in edge areas especially the bezel
    Which was another reason I really wanted to be able to get a Yellow Dye going.

Ah well

Name:  DSCF2464.JPG
Views: 413
Size:  224.9 KB

Name:  DSCF2457.JPG
Views: 403
Size:  239.6 KB

Name:  DSCF2468.JPG
Views: 401
Size:  293.7 KB

I wonder Mike, if the edges are darker because the original strap had the edges "treated", making the dye take differently in these areas - just a thought.

BTW - looks pretty good to me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev55 View Post
    I wonder Mike, if the edges are darker because the original strap had the edges "treated", making the dye take differently in these areas - just a thought.

BTW - looks pretty good to me too.

Kev that is something I had also considered.

Because when folks dye fabrics threads/stitching of say polyester thread on a cotton T does not take the dye the same way
    as the cotton T does

But this is also the same type of resin I used for the mint green & that went on evenly so I am not sure.

Maybe next time before any dyeing I should soak/rinse it in some vinegar water just in case?

Thanks
    Last edited by flying; August 20th, 2015 at 04:07.
    Kev55 likes this.

Was this a new set that had not been worn or touched much by oily/sweaty hands? If not, then my guess would be body oils and sweat from wearing it on the wrist. If new, then it must be the way the resin was made.

Was the yellow dye the same type and brand? I mean was powder used on the mint dye and powder used on this one? Or did you switch brands and type?
    flying likes this.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by Rocat View Post
    Was this a new set that had not been worn or touched much by oily/sweaty hands? If not, then my guess would be body oils and sweat from wearing it on the wrist. If new, then it must be the way the resin was made.

Was the yellow dye the same type and brand? I mean was powder used on the mint dye and powder used on this one? Or did you switch brands and type?

Hi Rocat

Yes new same as the other...I actually bought 4 new DW-6900FS-8's as I think they are screaming deals
    So have only used one as stock white to wear.

I think the resin sets on those were all the same AFAIK & are discontinued now according to PacParts

Dyes were same brand of Dylon Dye #2 Yellow on this & #25 green on the mint

Has me a bit baffled though....Matching the Yellow used on G's is not exactly easy to begin with as it is a bright yet matte
    tone of yellow so I knew it would be tough to duplicate.
    But my test swabs looked good...albeit that is just a sample on Q-tips or white hard paper strips

At some point I actually had the tone pretty darn close...But then the edges caused me to chase in the hopes of reducing the difference.
    I should have known better that the color could never equalize once unbalanced as it was.

Will be interesting to see how a darker color goes on this. If those same areas have a different tone even when dark then maybe as you say the resin
    was just odd on this one or had some kind of release agent still on it....That is one thought I had given the locations of the dark edges...like inside the strap holes
    & edges of the bezel ( both the rounded edges & the sharp edges)

I will definitely give it a vinegar/water bath before re-dyeing though just in case & hope it can be evened out with a darker color

If not well a learning experience I guess
    domoon and Rocat like this.

Your dye job turned out a lot better than my dye job for a G5600A-7 resin. Those pieces were worn on edges and when I dyed it blue, the worn spots were dark blue that looked really bad. I know you say you are not happy with it, and that is what really matters. But for WRUW photos, it looks top notch.
    flying likes this.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Thanks Rocat & yes I can imagine dyeing older resin would be a tall order due to
    existing nicks etc.

On this one thanks for the compliment but really the photo looks better than the reality due to the time
    was late afternoon & I could not get a great photo..with flash washes it out & these without flash does not pick them up

One thing I always do before any mod project is mock it up in a paint program

This is what I had hoped to achieve with the yellow on cs-1 or fs8 modules

Name:  test yellow cs-1.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  71.3 KB

Name:  test FS8 yellow.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  79.8 KB
    Last edited by flying; August 20th, 2015 at 02:16.
    Kev55 likes this.

**Update**....

Well I was pretty sure this resin was a loss as far as fixing any color & resigned myself to making a spare Black Matte set
    Hey we can always use another Black Set right

But last night I started thinking about trying to get as close to a RD "Burning Red" as I could
    Since Red was the next primary color I thought I had a chance but was worried it may go orange

Well it did actually & at one point (wish I took pics) I think I had a very nice Rescue Orange

But Orange is available for the DW-6900 series in the MM4...Burning Red is not unless you score an older nice DW

So on I went with soaking ....I used Dylon #9 Pagoda Red...Soaked 25 minutes removed parts reduced some water
    added more dye & added more hot water. Went another 25 minutes

To say I am happy is an understatement
    Because first off I thought this resin was pooched
    Secondly I never expected such a nice red set & as you can see it is quite close if not the same as the G6900RD-4 red
    Both because it is hard to get + because I was starting with a hideous yellow/orange with dark edges

Very happy & I will build something nice out of this set ....Maybe a DW-6900BKIN29 clone?
    Here are the results (dont mind any water spots that might still be in pic as I am drying the resin after rinsing)

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  327.5 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  316.3 KB
    Last edited by flying; August 20th, 2015 at 08:17.
    kmbijit, Kev55, Crater and 8 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information