"Dying" according to Hoochy

Thread: "Dying" according to Hoochy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

"Dying" according to Hoochy

Did not turn the way I want it to be but I like the result. Maybe I put too much dye in it. Also, I forgot to put the keeper with the rest so it is still in its original color Kinda reminds me of its previous state/colorway.So here it is - the "before and after" of my ICERC.Used to be transparent white and now it is a stealth.Sorry some scans are not sharp

Wink Re: "Dying" according to Hoochy

Hi Bembot,

I actually like the way your keeper is not dyed. The result is very good if you wanted a black watch. Wasn't it supposed to be black?

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Re: "Dying" according to Hoochy

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors View Post
    Hi Bembot,

I actually like the way your keeper is not dyed. The result is very good if you wanted a black watch. Wasn't it supposed to be black?

Cheers,

Sjors
    Hi Sjors:
    The dye was "blue jeans".I was hoping it would be a jelly blue or something. But stealth is awesome for me (by mistake). Thanks.

Best,
    Mel

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors View Post
    Hi Bembot,

Cheers,

Sjors
    Why do I keep messing up the photo sequences? Tips fin posting the scans Sjors? Thanks again.

Wink Re: "Dying" according to Hoochy

Quote Originally Posted by bembot View Post
    Why do I keep messing up the photo sequences? Tips fin posting the scans Sjors? Thanks again.
    Hi Bembot,

I see your pictures and they are clear (enough) for me.... I don't see the problem...

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Yeah, you used way too much dye. Dying for cloth is by weight (as it would be for rubber but perhaps at a different rate), so you need very little dye for watch parts. It looks good though, but if you decide you don't like it, you could retry by using dye stripper. I'm not sure how dye stripper will work on rubber, but probably in a similar way the dye did...well.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegum View Post
    Yeah, you used way too much dye. Dying for cloth is by weight (as it would be for rubber but perhaps at a different rate), so you need very little dye for watch parts. It looks good though, but if you decide you don't like it, you could retry by using dye stripper. I'm not sure how dye stripper will work on rubber, but probably in a similar way the dye did...well.
    Thanks for the tip. If I get bored with this piece, I will try the stripper.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegum View Post
    Rit Dye Colour Remover does not work!!! Tried it last night and it was a dismal failure, pretty noxious stuff too.

To cap it all, it's either left a residue on the bezel in places, orelse it's actually started to dissolve the resin!

I'll post some pics tonight if you want, just thought i'd warn people.

Rusty

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Rit Dye Colour Remover does not work!!! Tried it last night and it was a dismal failure, pretty noxious stuff too.

To cap it all, it's either left a residue on the bezel in places, orelse it's actually started to dissolve the resin!

I'll post some pics tonight if you want, just thought i'd warn people.

Rusty
    What is the active ingredient in the Rit dye stripper? We don't get that brand here. Tintex stripper is sodium hydrosulphite, which is an S5 (ie. pretty toxic - you need a well ventilated area). If it's the same chemical, then I'd say stripping won't work on rubber although I'm surprised about it attacking the rubber...may be if it's older and partly decayed.

All this means is that you should probably err on the side of under dying to get the desired effect since you won't be able to 'correct' any over dying mistakes given what Rusty said. I'd be interested in further dye stripper testing though (on non-valued parts).

At least the dying part seems to work well.

Erm! I'm not sure I like the way my name has become a reference term for failed attempts at dying! lol

I keep telling you... it was supposed to be Orange! A complete success!

Watches are frickin evil!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information