eBay fraud...

Thread: eBay fraud...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

eBay fraud...

I'm posting this here more for amusement and a bit of a warning.

I won a Mudman from a seller in Thailand (arpusara01) for a nice price (<USD$40). Initially his email about shipping told me it would be shipped to Croatia. I questioned that and he got back to me promptly stating it was a form message and he forgot to change it from the last item he sold.

Well here I am two weeks later and I get the item in the mail. No box, just an envelope with something in it that seems too flat to be a Mudman (I owned one before). I open it and it's this cheap Chinese toy watch fit maybe for a happy meal.

Interestingly it does say "shock resist" and "water resist" on it but I'm sure it's neither. I figure I'm not out a lot of money and I've already filed a claim with paypal to get it back due to fraud.

The question I'd like speculation on here is, why send anything? It's clear that he defrauded me when I get something that obviously doesn't even remotely match the auction. If he didn't send it at all he could claim it got lost in shipping or something and maybe only have to give me a partial refund and keep all the money that he gets in the mix. Might he be thinking that I'd not realize that I didn't order some plastic crap watch and never check being happy with what I got? The chances of me forgetting that I purchased a watch at all seem greater than that. On top if it he didn't get it from Thailand to the US for free and I'm sure the watch wasn't given to him for free, everything costs something right?

I think it'll just be fun to kick around some thoughts and insults about this entire situation. If y'all want to see it I can snap a picture of it too.

-Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

Re: eBay fraud...

I believe it is Paypal's policy to not automatically refund your money if the seller provides a valid tracking number for the shipment. I think you have to file a different type of claim that might give the seller a bit more of an advantage in the Paypal dispute process. You will now have the burden to prove that what you received was substantially different than what you agreed to. A lot of buyers don't bother putting up a fight and the scammer gets to keep the money. Read up on Paypal's policy and other people's posts to find out the best way to handle it. That sucks that this happened to you BTW. Put up a good fight and lets try to get rid of these bad guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    I believe it is Paypal's policy to not automatically refund your money if the seller provides a valid tracking number for the shipment. I think you have to file a different type of claim that might give the seller a bit more of an advantage in the Paypal dispute process. You will now have the burden to prove that what you received was substantially different than what you agreed to. A lot of buyers don't bother putting up a fight and the scammer gets to keep the money. Read up on Paypal's policy and other people's posts to find out the best way to handle it. That sucks that this happened to you BTW. Put up a good fight and lets try to get rid of these bad guys.
    It'll be a learning experience for me. I can prove what he sent me is not what he offered in the auction. I'll do whatever I need to. Your explanation does shed some light on why he'd even send anything though.
    -Nate
    -Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

it seems too silly on his part, maybe it is just a mistake? pics would be good.

Here's a thread about an ebay scammer in Thailand was doing something similar:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=121778

Definitely post photos please.

Basically what I would do, for principal not just the money, is dispute the transaction with Ebay to as far as you could go as well as the best you could do with Paypal. Unfortunately Paypal safegards themselves by not protecting us on International transactions except a couple countries. Good luck.

As far as the mindset, he might had just figured for Mail tracking purposes send you SOMETHING so if you dispute, he could counter with tracking information. Thats the only thing I could think of. That drives me nuts either way though, I was burned on a transaction as a seller years ago from a Taiwan buyer that paid with illegal funds from someone elses account. Paypal pulled my funds back, and I lost out on the transaction between fees, shipping funds, and the $500 I paid for the product itself. I ended up getting $150 for my troubles from the class action lawsuit that was filed against Paypal for non disclosures. I just hate when honest people get burnt.

Good luck amigo.
    Apple Watch Space Black Series 5 w/ LTE
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600C Speed
    Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000GD-1JF
    Casio G-Shock GWF-1000-1DR Frogman

Casio G-Shock GW-7900B-1 Rescue
    Citizen ATO810-55X
    Omega SeaMaster Pro Ceramic 212.30.41.20.01.003
    Omega Seamaster Pro Bond Quartz 2221.80
    Omega Speedmaster Co Axial Moon Watch 311.33.44.51.01.002

Seiko SKA625
    Seiko Velatura SNAA93
    Seiko V701

Check out my video reviews at:
    www.youtube.com/dougfnj
    Twitter: @DougFNJ

Got a message back from the guy claiming it was a mess up in his shipping department and that I'll receive the Mudman soon. No mention of me returning the other one so that makes me a bit suspicious. Claim still opened, will not close unless I get what I paid for.
    -Nate
    -Albert Einstein

pics!

something funny happened to me too. some month ago i ordered a classic casio f-91w, i think from a singapor seller.

he sent very fast as watch were i could see that the screws have been manipulated and the light was almost not working. so i told him the watch has been manipulated is not working very well.

he sent another watch, this time i could see from the colour and the different module that this was obviously a f-91w fake. but very good fake. in the end i think the first watch was also a fake.

so what does he think when he sends a damaged watch first and then a fake to exchange it??? i just smiled and forgot about it.

Quote Originally Posted by natornate View Post
    Got a message back from the guy claiming it was a mess up in his shipping department and that I'll receive the Mudman soon. No mention of me returning the other one so that makes me a bit suspicious. Claim still opened, will not close unless I get what I paid for.
    I remember hearing this same story quite recently, and I think it was on this forum. Someone was sent a really cheap, rubbish watch, and the seller used the same excuse. I can't remember what the outcome was though.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

Just so you all can see how reasonable it is to mistake what I got for a g9000 Mudman. It's pretty funny actually. Wonder if he'll actually send me my Mudman.
    Attached Images Attached Images

-Nate
    -Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information