Edifice ef550 1av and being fickle

Thread: Edifice ef550 1av and being fickle

Banned

Edifice ef550 1av and being fickle

Hi all
    Been a while since I've been on the G forum. What can I say, I found the one for me and that's all she wrote. However, I would like your opinion on this piece which caught my eye while down getting groceries. I love it. Which makes me feel both guilty at being fickle since I just posted a thread about Certina on the main forum, which people have been kind enough to reply to and had thought I was going to get a dive watch.......and pleased at possibly having found my next piece. I like a lot of the Edifice range in theory, but I think they are a bit too "young man with a cool watch" for me. This, on the other hand, really seems to have the right balance of readability, functionality, detail and adultness, especially without the bracelet. It loses a lot on this CAD image. It really stands out in person and could almost be mistaken for a Tag. What do you think of the Edifice range in general and this in particular?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Edifice ef550 1av and being fickle

I have three variants of this model. They all look great. They are not very readable, though. The date is microscopic, the chrono displays, too. Even the main hands are not too easy to read because of the busy dial.

This watch has lots of character, but still mine have been shelf bound, there just never seems to be a reason to wear them.

Been looking for this watch on and off for the past year. However one seller advised that the rubber strap is not as good as the rubber straps other brands use, like on a Seiko 5, for instance. Since I have not handled it in real life then I will take those words with a pinch of salt. I like the strap design very much, though.
    GTR stands for George The Rabid. Fanboy of COSC (Casio - Orient - Seiko - Citizen, in that order )

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

I must admit, the strap is quite a plain resin affair. I thought it was going to be HD rubber, but no, just a slightly thicker version of a G, with a pattern on it. As to the date being microscopic, I can attest to that. I didn't even notice it had one till I saw the picture!

I always think of this particular model as Casio's clubhouse watch - a very sporty watch in an elegant case. Still can't get over the patterned strap. The resin strap, albeit thin, will be much more comfortable than any bracelet when you are at the golf club or practicing your swings. Since it is quartz you won't have to worry about blunt force trauma as well.
    GTR stands for George The Rabid. Fanboy of COSC (Casio - Orient - Seiko - Citizen, in that order )

Banned

It does have more Western styling than many Japanese options. I wish there was a good picture on the net- it's ten times better in real life. In the pic above, it looks flat, needlessly complicated and unreadable, but in the flesh, it looks intricate, interesting and classy. I know I should get a Certina diver, but I want to get this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Steve View Post
    What do you think of the Edifice range in general and this in particular?
    Only have one Edfice from the Black Label. The rest of the collection is touch or go with me in terms of looks. This one, I kind of dig in the black case version, though the one with the steel bracelet isn't too shabby. But if you really dig it and know you'll love it til the day you die might as well go for it.

Thats prob the best looking edifice in that line. I owned one of those and ended up returning it because it was a defect. The strap was not comfortable and it was way too long. If only they made it shorter. It's easy to just cut it but I hate the idea of cutting it and having to sand it.
    Anthony

GW94001CR Rangeman, Seiko Astron
    SSE089 , Omega Speedmaster, Seiko Sportura ...etc.

Banned

Thank you very much, Kotik, for the good quality photos. The one I was looking at last night was as shown in my horrible jpeg, black dial with std steel case. I handled a White dialled one with plain steel case and bracelet, coming out of a local supermarket tonight (getting a bottle of Grouse 12 year old 100% malt- it's nice!). The bracelet is 100 yuan/$15 more than the resin strap and...not good. It screams "Affordable Japanese!" and ruins the watch, despite being solid links. The colour is also wrong- I doubt it's 316L. The white dial is MUCH nicer with the PVD case than the std case- this might be a better version than the one I'm considering! But with a really nice leather strap, I'm sure it'd up the ante even more on both models. Am I right in thinking the crystal is AR sapphire?
    Last edited by Scottish Steve; December 16th, 2011 at 13:42.

Thread Information