Edifice or Seiko?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Edifice or Seiko?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Edifice or Seiko?

Hey everyone

I have just got into watches recently and have developed a healthy appetite for anything G-Shock..which is why im here.

I have recently acquired a good job and my Gs just wouldnt look right with what i have to wear.

Being a fan of Casio i was looking for a more "casual" watch and landed upon an Edifice i liked (EQW-M710-1AER) but also really liked the look of a few Seikos i have seen?

Without being biased (if possible!!) would you suggest i keep rocking Casio as i know first hand they are excellent or go for a Seiko? Does anyone here have them both and can swing me towards one?

Any help would be appreciated!

Barkerville

Re: Edifice or Seiko?

I would go with the Casio because as far as Quartz technology is concerned, Casio with its Solar Atomic Radio Sync Edifice line is miles ahead of Seiko. Now Casio vs Citizen, that would be interesting battle
    Casio EQW-M1000DB-1AER Solar Atomic Radio Sync 1/20th second Stopwatch
    Citizen 8110A Automatic 2-register flyback chronograph 28,800bph
    Casio PAW 1500T Titanium ABC Tide MoonGraph Radio Sync
    Citizen Calibre 2100 Titanium Chronograph AV0021-52H
    Invicta Corduba 7135 Skeletonized Miyota 8N24 21J Movt
    Invicta Sapphire Ghost Skeletonized ETA 2824-2 Model 2701
    Citizen Promaster Titanium AS4050-51E Radio Control Eco-Drive (Ultimate Nighthawk) **GRAIL STATUS**
    Invicta SubAqua Noma III 4550 ETA 7751 **GRAIL STATUS**
    Citizen Skyhawk AT Black Stainless Steel **GRAIL STATUS**
    Citizen Skyhawk Stainless Steel
    Casio G-Shock GW-1300A Solar Atomic
    Casio Protrek PRG-70YT Black Titanium Triple Sensor
    Casio SeaPathfinder SPF-70T Titanium Triple Sensor
    Casio Protrek PRG-80T Titanium Triple Sensor
    Poljot 31681 Movt Volmax Aviator III Mechanical Chronograph
    Aviator 31681 / 3035268 Mechanical Chronograph

Both companies make good watches. Maybe put up a poll of the shortlisted Casios and Seikos that you want, and see what the response is? With pictures of each watch, of course. No thread without pics is useful

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I guess it largely depends on what you're looking for in a watch. I'm pretty new to collecting watches myself and I like both Casio and Seiko watches a lot. I first got a Casio waveceptor for traveling and picked up an Edifice in Japan while I was there (actually the same model to the one you said you were interested in. It's the blue/orange EQW-M710-2AJF) and really like it. I don't really agree with the gadgetfreak's statement that Seiko is behind Casio or Citizen in Quartz technology as they were the ones who brought it to the market in the first place. Although I have no personal experience with their quartz pieces I probably would have no problem getting a Quartz Seiko. I recently got an Orange Monster (mechanical) and absolutely love it but I also am looking to get a G-Shock in the near future (probably a GWM5600). Maybe if you could list some of the choices you were looking at people could comment on them.

Welcome to the forum! I have been a long time fan of Seiko and just recently purchased a nice looking Seiko chronograph (SNDA25). I have also purchased a nice looking Casio Tough-Solar/Wave Ceptor WVA320J. Which one do I like better?

Casio:
    better finishing
    higher caliber technology (wave ceptor/tough solar)
    Much better bracelet
    additional bells and whistles without the cluttered dial
    nice look
    big watch

Seiko:
    bracelet leaves a lot to be desired
    nice look
    nice size

I guess it's all two-may-toes - two-mah-toes. They're both nice and will both serve you well. Try 'em on and take a good look. Return the one you don't want. Can you guess which one I like better?

Ciao!
    Brandon

For $200 or so, I'd look at a Seiko Monster (automatic) or a Hamilton King Scuba Day-Date (quartz, I have a slightly larger chrono and love it) if you can handle the smaller sizes (42 and 41mm, respectively). I've had bad luck with Seikos in the past though and 41mm is a little too small for me, so I'd pass on both, personally.

Have you ever looked at Bernhardt?

Bernhardt Watch Company

I don't have one myself, but it seems a fair few Dive Forum frequenters own them and love them. The entry level Sea Shark is very nice to look at, and while it's only 42mm, it's also a reasonable $200. I'd take one over a Monster, personally. As far as I know, they use Citizen Miyota movements, but I could be wrong.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

The question may just as well also be, quartz or mechanical? As Casio specializes in affordable quartz and Seiko in affordable automatics.

Don't let the statement above about Solar Atomic Radio Sync swing your opinion, think standalone timepieces for a moment: Seiko has the Spring Drive, one of the most sophisticated automatic (or at least mostly automatic) time machines ever created, miles ahead of any other watch brand technologically speaking.

I have watches from both Casio and Seiko, and the answer is they are completely different philosophies of timing devices:

- Seiko create incredible watches at very affordable prices, and are known for being skilled in working the steel like no other and making watches for the masses competing in quality with more expensive brands and giving them in many cases a run for their money.

- Casio, in the other hand, are known for creating tough, comfortable and reliable watches for all sorts of activities, surviving the hardest environments, by using the most common materials, thus cutting costs while still giving you well engineered timepieces.

Casio don't need paying attention at, they take care of themselves, Seiko need a bit of nurturing as steel scratches easily and mechanical movements need daily action to keep them running.

So which one is for you? -I picked both!
    Stowa Marine Automatic solid silver dial Hamilton Jazzmaster Power Reserve | Jazzmaster Viewmatic Seiko 5 SNZD13J1 | 5 SNZE87J1 Parnis Power Reserve Accurist Kinetic Chronograph MB 560 Casio (G-Shock) GW50001JF | DW5200C | DW5600C | DW5600R3 | G7800B1DR | DW6600 |​ DW6630B (modded) Casio (Protrek) PRG-240B

Thanks for your replies everyone!

Thats some really useful advice!

After thinking about it for a while i think the idea of a simple yet extremely reliable watch is what i am probably after and although i appreciate the technology that is incorporated in Edifice (Wave Ceptor,Solar etc)I have a GW 9200 1ER for my technological fix and wanted to "do the opposite"?

I quite like the idea of a mechanical watch as well..you know what i mean!

I have looked at some Seikos and i quite like the SKU 779 (Black Monster) with black rubber strap.

Ill keep thinking and checking out different models and rest assured when i decide..there will be pics on ASAP!!!!

Thanks again everyone,this forum is awesome!

Barkerville

Apples & oranges. The only answer is: Get both!
    'I never done it'

Quote Originally Posted by Txemizo View Post
    - Seiko create incredible watches at very affordable prices, and are known for being skilled in working the steel like no other and making watches for the masses competing in quality with more expensive brands and giving them in many cases a run for their money.

- Casio, in the other hand, are known for creating tough, comfortable and reliable watches for all sorts of activities, surviving the hardest environments, by using the most common materials, thus cutting costs while still giving you well engineered timepieces.

That's an excellent summary, and it's why I'm biased towards Seiko when it comes to 'conventional' watches. Casio/plastic, Seiko/metal for me.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information