Effect of Bezel on Atomic Sync

Thread: Effect of Bezel on Atomic Sync

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Effect of Bezel on Atomic Sync

Inspired by Sedi - I bought a TLC Mudman bezel for my GW-9010 mudman. It arrived last Tuesday, and of course I removed the black and installed the Red! The newly red clad mudman spent each night in the same spot on my dresser where it syncs at 12:05 each morning since I bought it. However with the red bezel it did not get a sync in any of the 5 days since it's bezel transplant. All of it's atomic friends synced as normal sitting right next to it. So, Saturday afternoon I removed the red bezel, hit the sync button on the now naked module, and got a level 3 sync (during daylight hours none-the-less). Then I slipped the red bezel on, and couldn't get more than Level 1, and an error. I then put the black bezel back on and last night it synced at 12:05 a.m. just like normal.

So the question is - Is there anything in the red bezel that could interfere with the sync?

Any thoughts? Thanks!
    The current lineup:
    (ICERC Froggy incoming),GW-2500BD, MTG-1000, GW-M5600, GW-9200 Riseman, GW-9010 Mudman, G-9000MC Mudman, G-9101K Gulfman
    Citizen Skyhawk AT, Seiko Orange Monster
    Seiko 6139-6019 (Circa 1972, Belonged to my Grandfather) Omega Constellation (Circa 1967)

Re: Effect of Bezel on Atomic Sync

Interesting phenomenon. I have no idea what would cause that
    WhtShadow

Current Collection
    Casio 'non-G' 83QS-41, DW-1500, OAW-100TDJ, PAW-1300T,
    G-Shock GW-M5600, GW-800D, MTG-1000G,
    Bulova Accutron 214, Omega SMP 2232.80, Omega SMP 2255.80, Ball Engineer M Challenger, Traser Auto Pro,
    Seiko SDWB61, SNA139, SKA389, SKA296, Momentum Cobalt V Lite, Orient Mako Blue, Orient Mako USA 2 White,
    Victorinox (Swiss Army) Ground Force 60/60, Base Camp Ti

No idea what would be causing that, unless the red bezel was made from lead or something. Very interesting, indeed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The atomic sync signal is of such a low frequency, I really doubt that the bezel could affect it. My guess would be that the bezel applies some kind of minute pressure to the case, somehow affecting the receptor?

Cool Re: Effect of Bezel on Atomic Sync

I am electromechanically incompetent so I have no idea, unfortunately.

However, I always have thought that the GW9010 might look better with either a black bezel/red strap combo or a red bezel/black strap combo so I hope you post some pics if you can get the kinks worked out.

"I bet you're a big Lee Marvin fan."

:oops: that's strange indeed - my GW-9010 works just fine with the red bezel - no problem syncing at all. And I really can't imagine that putting the bezel on can put enough pressure on the case to interfere with the functions of the watch. I don't think putting on the bezel puts any pressure on the case at all .
    Oh some pics of mine:

Mine didn't sync last night but only because I left it in the countdown-mode.

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Just wanted to share the continuation of my test. 5 Days ago I put the Black bezel back on my Mudman - and it has synced every night at either 12:04 or 12:05, so on the first try.

Yesterday I put the Red bezel back on when I got home from work, and wore it all evening. Set it on the nightstand by the window with atomic: Riseman, Gulfman, GWM-5600, and MTG-1000. All synced at 12:04 am this morning - except the Mudman in its Red Bezel.

I'm lining them all up on a west facing (toward Colorado) window sill tonight.

Maybe this is why Casio doesn't have this Red material on any of the Atomic / Wavereceptor watches

Cheers.
    The current lineup:
    (ICERC Froggy incoming),GW-2500BD, MTG-1000, GW-M5600, GW-9200 Riseman, GW-9010 Mudman, G-9000MC Mudman, G-9101K Gulfman
    Citizen Skyhawk AT, Seiko Orange Monster
    Seiko 6139-6019 (Circa 1972, Belonged to my Grandfather) Omega Constellation (Circa 1967)

G-Shock & Sales Moderator DragonJade's Avatar

The reason it won't sync with the red bezel is because Casio are known to use a lead based pigment in their red colouring for resin. All that lead acts as a shield and hence inhibits the signal from reaching the sensor.

Get your WUS badge now from the WUS store.
    >> Support WUS by clicking through to our sponsors sites. <<
    >> Buying from a sponsor? Tell them WUS sent you. <<

G-Shock & Sales Moderator DragonJade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonJade View Post
    The reason it won't sync with the red bezel is because Casio are known to use a lead based pigment in their red colouring for resin. All that lead acts as a shield and hence inhibits the signal from reaching the sensor.
    I was joking. Just in case Casio decide to sue me.

Are you sure you had the watches in exactly the same position and orientation?

Get your WUS badge now from the WUS store.
    >> Support WUS by clicking through to our sponsors sites. <<
    >> Buying from a sponsor? Tell them WUS sent you. <<

Laughing Re: Effect of Bezel on Atomic Sync

Quote Originally Posted by DragonJade View Post
    I was joking. Just in case Casio decide to sue me.

Are you sure you had the watches in exactly the same position and orientation?
    Proving my electromechanical incompetence, I actually believed you and went searching for the model number of the G9000-8V so I could suggest buying one of those bezels and dying it red with RIT or Dylon in order to circumvent the supposed "lead shield" you described....

"I bet you're a big Lee Marvin fan."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information