Is the EL button on G6900s removeable?

Thread: Is the EL button on G6900s removeable?

Is the EL button on G6900s removeable?

Hi.

I just swapped out the band and bezel on my G6900-CC-6 and G6900-1 so that I'd have a positive display on a purple band... (Pics to come soon.)

Just one question though. Are the EL buttons removeable? They were on pretty tight and I didn't want to break anything, so I left them alone. As it turns out, having the black button from the 6900-1 on the purple strap and bezel is beginnig to bug me, so...

Can I swap them? Or is that best left alone?

Thanks for the help!

Re: Is the EL button on G6900s removeable?

The answer is yes and yes! You can swap them, but they have some pesky little "C" clips that hold them in. It takes some small, but firm tweezers and nerves of steel to get the clips off and especially back on again. If you lose your grip, they'll fly across the room and they'll be difficult to find. I swapped the G button on an 003. Luckily I have to Gs that I use for parts because I think I lost 3 or 4 C clips before I was able to get one on successfully.
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

Quote Originally Posted by Tsip85 View Post
    The answer is yes and yes!
    Tsip, thanks for elaborating! Will just get used to the flat black then...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

C'mon guys it's easier than you think...

I pick these small circlips off with light sideways pressure from the tip of a number 3 scalpel. They push back on with the tip of a small screwdriver. If you need a lot of force you are doing something wrong!

As with any such work, if a part is likely to fly away then do that bit of the work inside a good quality plastic bag so the circlip cannot get lost...simples!

I second Carrots post - it needs a little fumbling at first, but after the third or fourth watch it´s no big problem anymore - The plastic bag is a good tip if you dislike crawling about the carpet with a flashlight looking for the reflections of a C clip...

Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    As with any such work, if a part is likely to fly away then do that bit of the work inside a good quality plastic bag so the circlip cannot get lost...simples!
    Great idea about that plastic bag! Have to try it.

Maybe I can get my girlfriend to tape the bag shut too. To quote that song, "Now think about it..."

Those clips are annoying at first, but with a little practice, it is actually very easy to put them on and take them off.

Excellent suggestion about the clear plastic bag, I like that better than what I've done which is work on a watch inside a big storage bin.

Easiest tool I've found is a pair of tick tweezers I had in a travel 1st aid kit. They have very fine and pointy tips which work wonders.

Go for it, worse that can happen is you lose a c-clip or can't get it back right and any jeweler should be able to fix it right up.

I need to find some tick tweesers...and the plastic bag idea is a great idea. When I have the time, I'm going to practice removing and replacing these things on the spare cases I have for parts.
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

Thread Information