EL issue??

Thread: EL issue??

EL issue??

hey i just picked up a light blue dw9500us surfing commemorative watch for £10 its in really good condition (id post pics of my watches if i could but i cant seem to do it!) when the auto light is activated the light comes up with the cool little surfer in the background but pushing the G button doesnt activate it? any ideas how to fix it will be appreciated, cheers!

Re: EL issue??

So the light works but not the button? First I would check the contacts on the module.

Looks like the battery is coming to end of its life.When this happens EL function is first to go.Try battery change.That might do the trick.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wink Re: EL issue??

Yep, I had a DW-8800 Codename Cipher with the same issues yesterday. A new battery and it gives flashing Morse Codes like new. Please check out how to change a battery, before you start changing the CR2016 battery. You might ruin your watch else!

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/how...ock-19704.html

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Thanks guys and Sjors youre like our godfather on here! Removing the innards of a watch is a bit daunting the help on this forum is a class apart, now if I could get my pics uploaded on here I'd show off my little collection but it keeps saying upload failed all the time? Any ideas on that problem?

Ok guys I replaced the battery and pushed the g button and............. still nothing, like I said before setting the backlight to auto and it lights up but that g button ain't doing nothin!

Maybe there is just gunk under the button? Try removing the bezel and give the watch a good cleanup with some dishwashing soap and a soft toothbrush.

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors View Post
    Yep, I had a DW-8800 Codename Cipher with the same issues yesterday. A new battery and it gives flashing Morse Codes like new. Please check out how to change a battery, before you start changing the CR2016 battery. You might ruin your watch else!

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/how...ock-19704.html

Cheers,

Sjors
    I have the exact same watch. When I hit the "G" button the darn thing goes blank and then everything resets. What do you think. DW-9500US

Quote Originally Posted by cannedyams View Post
    I have the exact same watch. When I hit the "G" button the darn thing goes blank and then everything resets. What do you think. DW-9500US
    I would try a new battery. Might not be that, but it would be useful to rule it out.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

@cannedyams, yours definitely sounds like a battery issue.

@hammers, it sounds more like you have a contact problem. As Lowtech, first clean it up and make sure nothing is keeping the buttin from being pressed all the way. Then, take the module out and press your light button. Look to see that the pin is coming through as it should. Find and check the contact where that pin will hit when the button is pushed. Might be as simple as a slightly mis-aligned module in the case, or there might be some sort of gunk on the contact itself. The Auto EL working is a good sign. That means that nopt only does the EL work, but your not missing any of the super tiny contact springs. I really think your problem lies with the button contacts. Shouldn't be a difficult fix.
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

Thread Information