EL light on gulfman problem!!!

Thread: EL light on gulfman problem!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

EL light on gulfman problem!!!

so guys..
    FINALLY!!! pulled the trigger on the 2000 ICERC gulfman!!!

so cool the watch

and unfortunatlely, comes in inner box, icerc paper, and stand, that's all...(sad)...

but i encountered the problem. my EL light is not working nice ly...

the EL seems to turn on but the wordings go way DDDIIIMMMMM... then no light obvious from the watch when light source is there...

but when i switch off all the lights, i can only see a very very very very light EL light but not ask bright to see the words...

haihz...

IS IT.... the solar battery not charged??? (the batt indicator is full...)

or is it the EL panel got problem???

or the shop guy changed the battery to lithium???(aherm... who knows...)

HELP!!!!

Re: EL light on gulfman problem!!!

For me, the first thing I always check whenever I buy a watch is to check if the EL light is working, have you feedback to the retailer about your problem?

yosh...

i just did a quick check..

it appeared to be the sanyo ML 2016 is giving th probs... hmm... i took out the console... (hee hee hee....) replaces it with normal lithium, without closing it back, the EL works nicely... i think i need a replacecment of the recgargeable batt...

you guys think it's easy to find the batt???

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

this thread has a link which contain info on where to get replacement rechargeable battery: https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=17530

ML 2016 doesn't usually crap out. i guess any kind of rechargeable can be destoried, its just the matter of how

hmm

just for info.

i saw the gulfman on display when i'm in primary 6 ( year 1999, )

it sat all the way till today, no one buys it. and now i've got the $$$ to buy it... only i think they take it out.

i think constant solar charging kills the rechargeable maybe... hmm... cuz you know, those watch display cabonets are fitted with little halogen lamps??

we, as a forum, still haven't come to concensus about how to destory a rechargeable solar battery (or how a rechargeable solar battery can be destoried, depends on how you look at it :-D )

to me, i would doubt you can over charge the battery. i would think casio would have thought about how to prevent overcharging the battery (with a circuit)

its like you can never over wind a modern automatic watch movenment

it could have been an extended period of time with low charge level (or near depleted battery level) without recharging it to full level

my guess is as good as yours. :-X

but the conclusion would be: being a display model in the display window killed the battery

i think it needs a battery change. i had the same problem with one of my raysman's as soon as i chaged the battery .. the problem was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by stockae92
    to me, i would doubt you can over charge the battery. i would think casio would have thought about how to prevent overcharging the battery (with a circuit)
    100% correct, it even states it in some of the solar manuals (if not all) :-X

So no, you can't overcharge it. As for switching out a regular battery over the solar...

If you plan on keeping it this way, you should remove the springs that connect the solar cell to the battery... otherwise you're charging a non-rechargeable battery and I doubt that's a good idea.

well...

getting a ML 2016 is quite hard for me in my country (malaysia...)

i went to a lot of electronics shop but they all have CR 2016, no ML 2016... ( imean, those places which they sell button cells...)

it's kinda cold market for our country, thus, getting a piece is hard.

i'll look back to the shop, see what they can do. meanwhile, everything is working fine, stopwatch, timer, tide, display. just. when the EL is on, the display went blur. i change a batt, the EL is back again.

how do i remove the springs??? will i actually get to put it back again? or once i pull the springs out it's gone forever????

hi trowachin,

May i ask what is the charge in the Gulfman? How many bars of batts? If i remember correctly, if it is less then 3 bars the EL will not work.
    No harm checking.

Cheers,
    clemo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information