EL Noise?

Thread: EL Noise?

EL Noise?

Greetings all,
    I have recently become obsessed (can you believe it) with the DW5600E. I was looking at the manual for the 1545 module that this G-Shock has. It says: "The watch will emit an audible sound whenever the display is illuminated. This is caused by a transistor that vibrates whenever the EL panel lights up. It does not indicate malfunction of the watch." My question is, do all G's EL's do this? Maybe my hearing isn't the best, but my GW5600J makes no sound when EL is lit. And I held it right up to me ear and hit the light several times! If not all G's make the noise, why only this model? And how loud is it? I can't help but be curious about this>

Re: EL Noise?

Yes, they're insanely loud! If you can't hear it then you need to get to the doctor and have your hearing checked ASAP! You might be going deaf!
    (just kidding)
    Seriously, I've never noticed my EL's making a noise but I have heard noise from modules when the battery is dying. Kind of a light buzzing.

Quote Originally Posted by casiophile View Post
    but I have heard noise from modules when the battery is dying. Kind of a light buzzing.
    That's almost moving...
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    That's almost moving...
    I like to think that the battery is moving on to a better place. And sometimes a tear rolls down my cheek...

Virtus junxit, mors non separabit.

Breitling SuperOcean 42, 50th Anniversary Navitimer
    Casio GW6900-1
    Longines Vintage Crosshair
    Rolex Explorer II, GMT Master IIc

Yes, all ELs do this. The sound is quite low, but it's definitely audible when you are in a silent environment. I personally disable the feature when sleeping because it does get to the point where it bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by dantana View Post
    Greetings all,
    I have recently become obsessed (can you believe it) with the DW5600E. I was looking at the manual for the 1545 module that this G-Shock has. It says: "The watch will emit an audible sound whenever the display is illuminated. This is caused by a transistor that vibrates whenever the EL panel lights up. It does not indicate malfunction of the watch." My question is, do all G's EL's do this? Maybe my hearing isn't the best, but my GW5600J makes no sound when EL is lit. And I held it right up to me ear and hit the light several times! If not all G's make the noise, why only this model? And how loud is it? I can't help but be curious about this>
    Virtus junxit, mors non separabit.

Breitling SuperOcean 42, 50th Anniversary Navitimer
    Casio GW6900-1
    Longines Vintage Crosshair
    Rolex Explorer II, GMT Master IIc

They probably all make some noise. Depending on construction some may be louder than others.

I have never heard a battery die.
    WhtShadow

Current Collection
    Casio 'non-G' 83QS-41, DW-1500, OAW-100TDJ, PAW-1300T,
    G-Shock GW-M5600, GW-800D, MTG-1000G,
    Bulova Accutron 214, Omega SMP 2232.80, Omega SMP 2255.80, Ball Engineer M Challenger, Traser Auto Pro,
    Seiko SDWB61, SNA139, SKA389, SKA296, Momentum Cobalt V Lite, Orient Mako Blue, Orient Mako USA 2 White,
    Victorinox (Swiss Army) Ground Force 60/60, Base Camp Ti

Thread Information