Electro-luminescent backlight Afterglow?

Thread: Electro-luminescent backlight Afterglow?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Electro-luminescent backlight Afterglow?

i ordered my first G ( DW6900FS-8 ) should be here thursday
    what is "Electro-luminescent backlight Afterglow"?

the light that's activated by pressing the G button?

Re: Electro-luminescent backlight Afterglow?

Quote Originally Posted by faults View Post
    i ordered my first G ( DW6900FS-8 ) should be here thursday
    what is "Electro-luminescent backlight Afterglow"?

the light that's activated by pressing the G button?
    The "afterglow" is when the EL backlight continues to shine for a second or two even after you have pressed the light button. On some of the newer G-Shocks, you can adjust the backlight duration from as short as 1.5 seconds to as long as 5 seconds.

This is different from what Timex uses (as I remember it anyway), as their Indiglo lights up when you press the button and turns off only when you let go of the button; you'd have to keep your finger on the button if you want to view the watch a little longer in the dark.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; February 11th, 2009 at 15:13.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

Wink Re: Electro-luminescent backlight Afterglow?

My old Timex had a kind of Night Mode. If you abled it, it lighted up the display for a few seconds, every time you push a button.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    The "afterglow" is when the EL backlight continues to shine for a second or two even after you have pressed the light button. On some of the newer G-Shocks, you can adjust the backlight duration from as short as 1.5 seconds to as long as 5 seconds.

This is different from what Timex uses (as I remember it anyway), as their Indiglo lights up when you press the button and turns off only when you let go of the button; you'd have to keep your finger on the button if you want to view the watch a little longer in the dark.
    Regarding the backlight duration. I just purchased a Mudman GW9000A-! from Amazon. Maybe I keep missing it, but I cannot find any notes on EL duration adjustment in the instruction booklet. During the night the 1.5 second blip of light is just too short a duration for my old eyeballs. Any help on instructing me how to make the duration longer would be appreciated.

One last thing, is there supposed to be "afterglow" when activating the EL button? My screen just goes back to dark.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Highlander; February 11th, 2009 at 17:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Regarding the backlight duration. I just purchased a Mudman GW9000A-! from Amazon. Maybe I keep missing it, but I cannot find any notes on EL duration adjustment in the instruction booklet. During the night the 1.5 second blip of light is just too short a duration for my old eyeballs. Any help on instructing me how to make the duration longer would be appreciated.

One last thing, is there supposed to be "afterglow" when activating the EL button? My screen just goes back to dark.

Thanks.
    The backlight duration adjustment is intended as a power-saving measure for the battery -- which is why this feature is only available on certain non-solar G-Shocks. Tough Solar models, such as your GW-9000 Mudman and my G-9200 Riseman don't have it since their batteries are recharged with the slightest exposure to light anyway.

When you press the EL button on your Mudman, the light turns on for approximately 1.5 seconds before going back to dark. That's the afterglow.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; February 12th, 2009 at 06:15.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

You know, I have a Casio DBC-30 (not a g-shock) that I wore for a while and it had Electro Luminescence and After Glow BUT you could also hold the light button down and then it would just keep staying lit. After you let go the light would turn off in about 2 seconds (the After Glow). I though this was a nice little function.

Quote Originally Posted by ErermisK View Post
    You know, I have a Casio DBC-30 (not a g-shock) that I wore for a while and it had Electro Luminescence and After Glow BUT you could also hold the light button down and then it would just keep staying lit. After you let go the light would turn off in about 2 seconds (the After Glow). I though this was a nice little function.
    I have to wonder why Casio chose not to incorporate this into the newer EL models. That would have been a nice feature.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

Thanks for the reply. Regarding the afterglow, for some reason I thought that even though the EL button had been released there would remain some luminescence on the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    The backlight duration adjustment is intended as a power-saving measure for the battery -- which is why this feature is only available on certain non-solar G-Shocks.
    Not quite true because the GW-9010 (and probably the G-9010 too) can be adjusted in duration between 1.5 or 3 sec - but that's the only solar G I know of that has this feature.

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Banned
    London, England and Phang Nga Bay, Ko Tapu (James Bond Island)

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    Not quite true because the GW-9010 (and probably the G-9010 too) can be adjusted in duration between 1.5 or 3 sec - but that's the only solar G I know of that has this feature.

Greetings, Sedi
    So does the GW9010-1 have that EL backlight afterglow? I am curious to find out because in the instruction booklet, it says that I can set the EL light on my Solar Atomic Mudman to 1.5 seconds or to 3 seconds. Currenlty, I set it at 3 seconds. The 1 second duration of the EL light is not good enough for me because it goes off too quickly and it doesn't give my eyes enough time to clearly view the time and everything else on the LCD display.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information