Electronic life of G-Shocks?
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: Electronic life of G-Shocks?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Electronic life of G-Shocks?

Hi all. It is generally known that any electronic device however robustly built will lose functionality over time due to decay in its circuits. Keeping that in mind, I would like to know how long do G-Shocks last until they need some replacement of an electronic part (not talking about the battery)? For example I have seen problems develop in the LCD over time in many of the older Casio digital watches. With regards to this could people share their experiences with G-Shocks?

Regards.
    Ard and Cobia like this.

Banned

Re: Electronic life of G-Shocks?

You worry too much.

Some members here have direct experience with 20-30 year old g-shocks that are still running just fine, so personally I don't think this issue is one worth worrying about.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ard

I have a DW-5200 that I bought (I believe) in fall of 1984 or around Christmas of that year. It was the 'new model' of the DW-5000. It still works fine and is on the 4th battery in 2017. Even the backlight still works, it loses a little time monthly now but back in the old days there was no Time . Gov so it may have been running slow for the past 33 years.

I also have one of the analog / digitals AQ 100-W I think, bought in 1989 that works just fine, batteries don't last as long in that model.
    WES51 and brandon\ like this.

Don't worry about it, this is like asking if I should expect to get 100k miles on a Toyota.

The only way something will go wrong, is if it's a defect and will show up quickly, or it's opened up and messed with.

Sent from Capt. Kirk's Communicator
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.

Banned

Wear it and enjoy it, lifes too short to worry about a watch Imo.

My DW5600C from the 80's looks like it's brand new and has no functional problems. Even the LCD looks better than some of the newer G-Shocks that I have. Considering that these watches are usually never opened up and don't really see a lot of shock while on your wrist, I would expect them to have a long life span. The module is really well protected so there should be very little that would cause damage to their electrical circuits. Wear it and have happy thoughts. Besides, you'll never have to bring it in for service for it to run properly unlike mechanical watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    I have a DW-5200 that I bought (I believe) in fall of 1984 or around Christmas of that year. It was the 'new model' of the DW-5000. It still works fine and is on the 4th battery in 2017. Even the backlight still works, it loses a little time monthly now but back in the old days there was no Time . Gov so it may have been running slow for the past 33 years.

I also have one of the analog / digitals AQ 100-W I think, bought in 1989 that works just fine, batteries don't last as long in that model.
    I too had a DW5200 bought in 1984, though I did sell it (stupid, stupid decision!!) a few years back. It worked just fine...

Name:  Casio vintage DW5200, battery.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  38.7 KB
    Desert likes this.
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

lvt

Somewhere between 10~20 years.

The simpler the circuit board is, the longer it will last.

Sent from my LG-H630 using Tapatalk
    Watch_Geekmaster likes this.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    Somewhere between 10~20 years.
    Where on earth did that estimate of 10-20 years come from? I've loads of watches that are more than that and work 100%. Also, I drive a 22 year old car which has many 'circuit boards' in it and is subject to much more vibration/stress than my watches and they still all work...
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information