English only lettering on G-Shocks (and other Casio)

Thread: English only lettering on G-Shocks (and other Casio)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

English only lettering on G-Shocks (and other Casio)

Casio is a Japanese watch (and other) company. They make Japan only versions of the majority of their watches. Granted some are made in China, Singapore, Korea, etc..but does anyone know why they don't use Japanese lettering/symbols (Kanji) on any of their watches. I've had to go and find English manuals b/c the instruction booklet was only in Japanese, (my Giez for example) but all the wording on case backs and abbreviations they use (TMR, STW, AL {alarm.., light, EL, etc...) are all in English.
    Anyone know why?
    Chris
    A Møøse once bit my sister...
    Artego Caribbean, 300M
    Casio (too many G's)
    Dagaz(Zero I),
    Gruppo Gamma MK III Vanguard
    Omega(2254.50 SMP)
    Seiko(1G custom Monster, custom 6309)
    Follow my G-Shock on its' world tour​.... https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/g-...-a-705360.html
    Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

Re: English only lettering on G-Shocks (and other Casio)

Most watch companies follow the international convention, which is English. 'Swiss Made' after all, is English.

Doing anything else would mean making different models for different countries.

edit: there is actually an analogue model (G-100?) with Japanese numerals. Sjors has one, I think.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

G-Shock & Sales Moderator DragonJade's Avatar

It's Chinese (in origin anyway). Strangely a mixture of very traditional and more commonly used everyday characters.

http://www.g-peopleland.com/12%20beasts%20general.htm

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wink Re: English only lettering on G-Shocks (and other Casio)

I got a new G-100 yesterday with Chinese signs. Some kind of Jeans version. Here some Q&D photo's (1600 ISO, out the hand).

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Sharp looking Watch Sjors!!!

Thanks Dough, I very much like it, but don't know a thing about it. Can't find it in the Bible...

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Looks good even at ISO1600!

I noticed that if you make your photo's light enough, the S/N ratio is relative low. I must experiment more with it. The pictures were taken under very dim light situations, so normally I would have needed a tripod.

Do you think the preformance of the photo sensor of the 20D and 40D is (much) better. Here two other pictures. The second one is taken in the dark lab with only an UV-light tube.

Cheers,

sjors

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors View Post
    I noticed that if you make your photo's light enough, the S/N ratio is relative low. I must experiment more with it. The pictures were taken under very dim light situations, so normally I would have needed a tripod.
    This has always been the case, even with traditional film. The more light for the lens, the less grainy the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors View Post
    Do you think the preformance of the photo sensor of the 20D and 40D is (much) better. Here two other pictures.
    You have the Canon Kiss III, right? I can't remember the European name.
    I've seen a lot of Camera magazines in Japan and they all show that the sensor in the 40D is better than in the 20D in every area; from what I can remember. I don't know how the sensor on your camera would compare with the 20D. The 20D is rather old now, and your camera is a newer model, so I guess it would be better. I can ask my friends who work at Canon who help develop stuff for the cameras!

Hi DJ,

I have the 400D, it could be the Kiss III. It's funny. I didn't know this name, before I bought the camera. In Japan talk about the Kiss models.

It's a relative new model. I heard the 300D or 350D had the same sensor as the 20D (this was the time the 20D was released). The difference in price was more or less the software ands not all features used on the 350 (and a different housing). I don't know if this is the case for the 40D and 400D. I love the Live Action display on the 40D. I wish the 400D hd it. It's great for my beach photo's. Now I hav to submerge myself to get the right picture...

Cool you know people at Canon. I would like to have the 40D in the (far) future. First I need to save money for some lenses (a wide angle f/2.8 for night shots?).

Cheers,

Sjors

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information