Enlighten me about G-shocks

Thread: Enlighten me about G-shocks

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Enlighten me about G-shocks

Okay, I'll be honest and say that I just got interested in watches about 2 months ago. I've been wearing my Invicta 8926 for the past 2 years..

I'm still curious about these plastic G-shocks. Sure, I saw the torture test thread on this forum and do realize the watches are indestructible and that makes them useful for lots of extreme situations.

But G-shock owners also seem to like them for more than just their tool quality.. they like their looks...? They would rather wear a G-shock on a daily basis even if they are NOT in a harsh environment, over any other nice watch?

I'll admit that when I see a plastic watch on someone, I'll probably think it's cheap, like a $10 Timex or something from Wal-mart.

How did you start loving G-shocks?

I am not trying to be condescending, I am just curious with an open mind and after doing a quick browsing of this forum still do not fully understand. Thank you..

Re: Enlighten me about G-shocks

Looks, strength, versatility, features, style.....theres virtually a G-Shock for anyone under pretty much any circumstance, dress, casual, hard work, office work....

For me it's something about the look of these watches, and the beatings they can withstand under any circumstances. Plus I never have to worry about abuse AT ALL

My Dawn Black Frogman is stylish, may not be for everyone, but I love the size and looks. My "Dawn Grey" Was the first project I took on with taking a watch apart, and removing the paint from the lettering, and completely changed the style. With the gold screwback and buttons with mirror finish...it's very sharp looking. My Giez hold such a sharp unique look to it with a heavy feel, and with the 5 motors, it has a wonderous technology that I love watching the hands move on it. My MTG also has that movement along with a Countdown Timer, they are like Digital watchs with analog movements. And my MTG is hardly a cheap looking resin watch. I can wear any of these anywhere. Thats my story Im looking forward to hearing others' feedback on this one.
    Apple Watch Space Black Series 4 w/ LTE
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600C Speed
    Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000GD-1JF
    Casio G-Shock GWF-1000-1DR Frogman

Casio G-Shock GW-7900B-1 Rescue
    Citizen ATO810-55X
    Omega SeaMaster Pro Ceramic 212.30.41.20.01.003
    Omega Seamaster Pro Bond Quartz 2221.80
    Omega Speedmaster Co Axial Moon Watch 311.33.44.51.01.002

Seiko SKA625
    Seiko Velatura SNAA93
    Seiko V701

Check out my video reviews at:
    www.youtube.com/dougfnj
    Twitter: @DougFNJ

I like the way they look and they are tough watches and since i was an kid that then i was'nt wearing an watch but i always go check about g-shock but after time i got my first g-shock and since then i always go check them out since they have newer ones often and i tried wearing an timex as early 20's but it was'nt the same and i'll go back to g-shocks and since then i'll always go for steel ones like dw-5200 and i had an pac-man watch since i was an kid and it was'nt tough as g-shocks and they are good watches and really i don't give an [email protected] how others think but it makes me glad to have an tough watch.
    Last edited by ron281969; June 20th, 2008 at 07:24.
    Current watch collection is dw-001, dw-002(2), dw-003(2), dw-004(2), dw-5000(13)(dw-5000c-1a(3), dw-5000-1jf, dw-5000sl(3), dw-5000bl2, dw-5025d-8(2), dw-5025b-7(2), dw-50301jr, dw-5030c-1jr, ww-5100c-1, dw-5200(9), dw-5200c-1(8), dw-5200c-9, ww-5300c-1(2), dw-5300(5), dw-5300-1av, dw-5300-1bv(3), dw-5300g-9v, dw-5400(6), dw-5400c-1(4), dw-5400c-9(2), dw-5500, dw5600c(3), dw-5600c-1v(691), dw-5600c-1v(901), dw-5600c-9bv(691), dw-5600e, dw-5700(5), dw-5700c-1v(3), dw-5700c-9v, dw-5700c-9gv(2), dw-5800(2), dw-6100, dw-6600(3), dw-6800, dw-8400, dw-8600(2), dw-8800, dw-9052, dw-9100, dw-9400(2), dw-9500(3), mtg-900, g-100, g-9100, glx-5600, gw-5600j-1, gw-610, gw-300, gw-701d, gw-m5600-1(2) of casio g-shocks and pre g-shock dw-1000(2) and pre g-shock dw-1500 and dw-210(6) and dw-240(2) and dw-260(5) and dw-270(2) and dw-290(2) and few timex ironman and thermometer of timex.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My first G-Shock was a DW5000 from 1983, the very first G-Shock model ever made. I was in Panama City, at the airport. Once I saw it, it was love at first sight. As you say, for me it was everything; not only the resistance or the functions, but also the looks. I was 12 years old back then, but since then I've been a G-Shock aficionado.

That only increased when I discovered G-Peopleland.com online and the endless variety in models, versions and colors of which I had no idea about. From G-Peopleland.com I discovered this forum in 2006. And here, well, I guess you're seeing it: G-Shock paradise.

I have other watches, but nothing as close to my heart as G-Shocks.

for me, Gs are just revolutionary..ill give them that! U see, the trademark of Gs are bulky, chunky, heavily padded and of course the EL light. There are other watchmakers that tried starting a trademark trend...like the ALBA spoon (around the time Gs got really famous), and the more recent Fossil (leather cuffs) lineup, Adidas, Nike and the likes. They all died down in terms of new releases and public appeal BUT not the Gs. Casio continued releasing new models, more variants so it appeals to almost everyone from grease monkeys to white collar executives. Casio is incorporating more style into their already sucesssful 'tool/practical watch' lineup. Apart from that, more function/capabilities are also included in these watches (Automic/Solar/Baro/Moon/tide graph etc) with a G for every need whether u are a diver/outdoors/law enforcer/peace keeper/environmentalist?/ even if u do it part time

Again IMHO Gs affect the way u feel about yourself...if u preceive urself as an average joe doing a desk job 9-5 everyday, u wear a shirt n tie attending meetings and boring paperwork, u look left and u look right, all the other guys are the same, everyday u follow obediently this 'ritual' going to bed at night with a new-same-un-eventful day looming...is there no adventure in life? are u going to give in to societal rituals lying down? is there no rebel inside u that wants to go againts the flow? are u boring like ur workmates? OH but there is a difference...its on ur wrist...it represents what u stand for, THAT u are not afraid to be rough, to take a tumble, to go into the jungle, to go caving, to go diving, to go off road, to climb mountains, or to 'take someone out'!! AT LEAST thats what it says about u...that u wont go down without a fight! A little rebelion inside us all
    (I will not be held liable for any damage or injury that this paragraph might inccur )

I agree with Dougie, Vintage, Justin and Ron they have all made good points. another site to check out is

http://mygshock.com/

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

TTT

1. Tough
    2. Cheap
    3. Useful features (countdown timers, stopwatches, lights, etc.)
    4. Not likely to be stolen (compared to a 'blingy' watch)
    5. #1-5 = worry free
    6. Make you feel like a kid again

I would say they're a great fit for a lot of the occupations/lifestyles of the type of people who frequent this forum. We have a lot of tech-geeks, travellers and outdoors/divers/etc.-type people.

I think if you're not into that kind of scene, then probably G-shocks (and any other plastic watches) look cheap and worthless. If you are, you know their real value. It's kind of one of those cases where something in an unimpressive package outperforms its competitors with fancy packages. I'm not saying G's aren't fashionable in some cases, but I think the majority of people who see a person older than 20 wearing a G-shock probably wonder a bit. I just choose not to care. Plus, I'm only 5 years older than the cutoff
    Last edited by TTT; June 20th, 2008 at 08:32.

Well they've said it all really and very eloquently at that. The main point about G-Shocks are that they are all about function and form rather than hype. They do the job that they are designed for supremely well and at a price that is amazing.

I have other watches that are perceived as "high quality" and often meet people that know watches. In that sort of company a G-Shock can hold it's head up and gets respect, even if it cost a fraction of the price, as it's build quality is legendary.

One other thing and it's something that should be remembered above all ........ G-Shocks are a lot of fun! Get yourself one and then be prepared, you'll want more, I promise you! ....

"The only exercise I take is walking behind the coffins of friends who took exercise." Peter O'Toole

They are not just plastic watches...they have many incredible features that don't even exist in some high-end mechanicals and of course they have a style! I like them for their look, their quality/price ratio, and their features..

Mechanical watches have their style too but i think that you don't get exactly what you pay for...

Quote Originally Posted by str8flexed View Post
    I'll admit that when I see a plastic watch on someone, I'll probably think it's cheap, like a $10 Timex or something from Wal-mart.
    Well even if that is true, there's nothing ashamed about that isn't it?

Maybe it's just me but I never quite understood why people find the necessity of justifying their watches are not cheap, whether it's true or not.
    And yes, I like the way they look.

Spend a few days diving into Sjors collection and I think you may find something you like.
    http://www.g-peopleland.com/
    Last edited by TOPquark; June 20th, 2008 at 13:50.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information