Essential tools for g restoration?
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Essential tools for g restoration?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Essential tools for g restoration?

Hello,

I have my first second hand g shock arriving very soon, it is likely to need a little sprucing up.

My question to those in the know.....

What tools, equipment, consumables would someone need in their kit in order to carry out restorations on older, battered g shocks?

I want to make sure I am prepared for anything!

many many thanks in advance.

Nil.

LUW

Re: Essential tools for g restoration?

To start with, a GOOD screwdriver set, GOOD needle nose pliers, tweezers and silicone gel.
    Last edited by LUW; June 28th, 2012 at 17:43.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Here's the tools I've been using for almost all my modding and restoration, or more commonly, cleaning of older G's.

Microfiber Cloth - For cleaning glass inside cases (can also be used as a table covering to rest G on preventing damage to bezel while being worked on)

Cotton Buds - Double ended, pointy end for small close up work and flat circular end for cleaning glass and inside cases.

Tweezers - The type women use for plucking eyebrows, brilliant for working on the smaller parts of G-Shock modules and cases.

Plastic tweezers - For changing batteries.

Springbar Tool - Two ended for removing bands and shortening bracelets.

Unwound Paperclip - For AC resetting after battery changes.

Needle - For removing e-clips for G-light button, ideally done with a hand cupped over work area to stop e-clip doing a Lord Lucan ( or a Jimmy Hoffa)

Screwdriver - Removing bezel , backplate screws. Preferably a good quality one ie: Stanley so as not damage screw heads, try different sizes to find the perfect fit.

Silicone Grease - To coat O-ring for resealing between backplate and case to restore water resistance. I wear disposable gloves while using this as it's horribly sticky stuff and difficult to clean off hands.

Magnifying Glass - For close up work

Enamel Paints - Repainting bezel text and G-button text (Testors seems to be the preferred brand on WUS)

Alchohol - 70% Isopropyl for cleaning bands, bezels, inside cases and modules. (Be careful with text on inside of glass as this can remove it if used incorrectly) I also use this while painting bezel text for removing excess paint, it doesn't scuff the bezel resin like acetone or melt the G-button plastic, works perfectly with Testors paints.

I also have a Dremel tool and polishing paste for more difficult work like removing small scratches from display glass. I recently used it with a small cutting wheel for removing extraneous case material to convert DW002 case to fit a DW6900 bezel on it.
    Last edited by dobber72; June 28th, 2012 at 19:26.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Quote Originally Posted by LUW View Post
    To start with, a GOOD screwdriver set, GOOD needle nose pliers, tweezers and silicone gel.
    Spot on list. I'd like to add that the screwdriver set should be the "micro" type, consisting of both Philips and flat head types. It's also handy to have a spring bar/pin remover for taking off straps. Although you can use a small flat head screwdriver, the "V" end of the dedicated spring bar remover works better. You can get them super cheap on eBay, but be sure to spend a little extra and get a quality one with two different sizes (one on each end). A paper clip also comes in handy with scraping out small holes or positioning things.

Also, it's VERY handy to have a magnifier or loupe handy. If you have the hands free type, even better. This helps for inspecting things up close. Some fluids to help out with the tasks like cleaners, alcohol, and resin restorer are good to have around. I use a silver polish to take off stains and tarnish on the metal parts.

Last but not least, I keep a specific folder in my browser bookmarks for links to various resources on the Internet, like WUS sections, parts sources, and anything else that I find useful.
    Last edited by xevious; June 28th, 2012 at 19:19.
    nilmunny likes this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Thanks so much LUW, dobber72 and xevious , way better responses than i could haver imagined. What a nice bunch of guys!!!

That's my shopping list sorted.

Also, Xevious, I think I just spotted the reference of your name! I used to have that game xevious for my NES back in the day. Really really tough game...

THANKS SO MUCH!

what size screwdriver do I need to remove bezels on modern g-shocks or does someone have a link to a good mico set on amazon? Thanks.

I believe the size of the phillips head screwdriver is #0, you should be able use that for almost all the screws on most G's, although on my DW8400 Mudman, DW8500 Codename they require a small allen key. I recommend Stanley as I have purchased 4 different brands of micro screwdriver set at one time or another most of them quite cheap. They all had the #0 size but they had the wrong overall shape ends on them, some were too blunt and some too pointed which meant the blades didn't fit the slots on the screws perfectly , the Stanley was the only one that matched the depth and slot size exactly, you get what you pay for.
    Last edited by dobber72; June 28th, 2012 at 23:19.
    Fer Guzman likes this.

I found some stantleys on amazon, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dobber72 View Post
    I believe the size of the phillips head screwdriver is #0, you should be able use that for almost all the screws on most G's, although on my DW8400 Mudman, DW8500 Codename they require a small allen key. I recommend Stanley as I have purchased 4 different brands of micro screwdriver set at one time or another most of them quite cheap. They all had the #0 size but they had the wrong overall shape ends on them, some were too blunt and some too pointed which meant the blades didn't fit the slots on the screws perfectly , the Stanley was the only one that matched the depth and slot size exactly, you get what you pay for.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dobber72 View Post
    ....the Stanley was the only one that matched the depth and slot size exactly, you get what you pay for.
    Sorry ... Stanley are good ... but probably 99% are Made In China. So if U want REALY good screwdrivers set - WIHA (Germany).
    http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-27390-Phi...crewdriver+set
    Last edited by ddrroonnee; June 29th, 2012 at 01:13.
    Fer Guzman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ddrroonnee View Post
    Sorry ... Stanley are good ... but probably 99% are Made In China. So if U want REALY good screwdrivers set - WIHA (Germany).
    http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-27390-Phi...crewdriver+set
    I ended up ordering that brand but I picked the set that came in a pouch. The sizes are different but hopefully the one I ordered works fine. Thanks. Here is the link if anyone is interested.

Amazon.com: Wiha 26199 Slotted and Phillips Screwdriver Set in Rugged Canvas Pouch, 8 Piece: Home Improvement

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information