Ever buy a G shock for a 61 year old man?

Thread: Ever buy a G shock for a 61 year old man?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Suspended

Ever buy a G shock for a 61 year old man?

Maybe some of you are 61+ years young...who knows?

I promise, this is not a "tell me what to buy post". Well, kinda...But read on...

I'm looking to buy a G shock for my father for Christmas. He hasn't worn a watch since the day he retired a few years ago and I think that the G Shock styles will fit into his care free retired life. Also, my father is a gadget nut, so this factors in every gift come Christmas.

Just trying to figure out if there are any snafus that people may have learned from experience. My biggest concern is readabity due to aging eyes, although his eyes are pretty good.

So far on my short list is the following:

AWG100 (ana-digi; solar atomic)
    GW5600J (solar atomic)
    G9100 Gulfman (standard)

I'm trying to keep the price at a reasonable $60-80 USD.

I considered the AWG100 as it is the most conventional to an analogue watch, which would be easy for him to accept, yet still full of function. My concern is that the subdial windows are too small and the skeleton hands are also difficult to read the time.

I am leaning toward the GW5600J as I think the digits are large enough to be read and has all the bells and whistles that he would appreciate. Still deciding if he will appreciate the simple design of the square black case and not think of it as boring or nerdy.

I threw in the Gulfman as to be the most exaggerated example that was in the budget. I prefer the Mudman, but figured the buttons are too difficult to push. Although not solar/atomic, I think he would like the moon and tide graphs. He also mentioned some nonsense to me about getting a boat, but I critized him of spending my inheritence. I think the numbers are large enough, but the case certainly has a cool factor.

I have yet to see any of these models in person so any input would be appreciated. Also any other considerables I have not thought of that would be important. Any other suggestions from experience would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Ever buy a G shock for a 61 year old man?

I would say the 5600,when I showed mine to my 63 years old man I could see him smile and laugh at 20 years old memories.
    Last edited by gettocard; November 9th, 2009 at 21:39.

I'm 62 and readability is a real issue for my aging eyes. I've owned a GW5600J and it's a good choice for 60+. I've never owned a AWG100 but the picture of the watch leads me to believe the subdials would be too small for me to comfortably view. The G2900 has very large digits that are easy to read. If you do a search you should be able to find a thread that refers to G Shocks with large digits.

If you look at today's WRUW thread you'll see a picture of my $20 Armitron. It's digits are very large and legible making it very easy for me to view.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think the 5600J would be more suitable.

I'm only 54, but I think personality and taste are more important than age. I now get SAGA (UK reference) mailshots but have yet to be interested in tartan travel rugs and furry slippers. I think I'll like much the same things in seven years as now. Most older people, myself included, are more likely to go for muted colours though.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Well, I am older than Tribe, but younger than your dad.

In that price range - GWM850, G7800B, or GW6900

The GW-5600J gets my vote. Great readability, function rich, light weight, excellent build quality. It's even nicer on the wrist than in pictures.

For me it's an even wristtime distribution between the GW5000 and GW5600J. My choice comes down to whether I feel like wearing some heft or not.

I'll mention the readability again. The 5600J has a large and crisp LCD. Numbers are big and stumble-free.

Paolo

Citizen Skyhawk if he likes gadgets!

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Most older people, myself included, are more likely to go for muted colours though.
    LOL. One look at your signature tell me this as well.

Suspended

Some good suggestions on the G2900 and the GWM850. I'll have to look closer at those.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information