Ever realized a watch was a "grail" only AFTER owning it?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Ever realized a watch was a "grail" only AFTER owning it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ever realized a watch was a "grail" only AFTER owning it?

we all spend so much time and effort researching watches, i am curious to know if anyone here has not known a particular watch was the perfect thing for them until they already owned it? it's one thing to do all the legwork and then finally get it in your hands, but certainly there are times when you dont realize just how much you love a certain model til it arrives in the mail.

has this happened to any of you?

Re: Ever realized a watch was a "grail" only AFTER owning it?

The DW-5000.... specifically, the Spike Lee model was what got me hooked. I won an ebay auction at a very low price because miraculously no one bid. It ended up costing me BIG TIME because I became hooked on DW-5000's and subsequently bought over a dozen of them in various forms.

I think I've realized something that I thought was a grail wasn't once I got it. The opposite hasn't happened yet.
    peacemaker885 and Cockpit like this.
    Current
    DW-8200MS "Kermit in Smoke" Frogman
    DW-8200F-4 Red Frogman
    GW-200-2 "Navy" Frogman - modded
    DW-5000SP "Bloody Project Team Tough mod"
    DW-9900 Frogman
    DW-5700 with 5600EH crystal "Screwback Eric Haze"
    GW-5000
    Beater G-3110

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes, the GW 9300 1JF. I loved my G 9000 for its two stopwatches and wrist feel but read positive reviews of the GW 9300 but figured I would never use the compass. Well I ordered one from Japan and have been very pleasantly surprised, I love it and even use the compass though I find the thermometer to be useless. And it displays the time when you run the stopwatch or alarm and I like that. I am the family chef and like to know what time it is when I am timing a dish to know if dinner is going to be late. Just wish it had two stopwatches like the G 9000. I find it is what I wanted the GWF 1000 1JF to be, reasonably large size, not too heavy and great wrist presence.

The other is the Rolex Sub C. I avoided Rolexes for years because of expense and a bias on my part. I realized I liked the Sub but every time I tried one on I thought the bracelet was flimsy and blingy. Well I asked my friend who is a watch dealer and who has steered me in the right direction many times what I should buy for an important birthday and he recommended the Sub C. I liked it and bought it on his recommendation and it has become my daily wearer, at least when I am not wearing a G Shock. I wear suits every day and do wear the AWG 100 with a suit but the Rolex works better.

T
    Clemi likes this.

I have both directions. The unrealised grail would be PAW1300Y that I got from on the black Friday. I liked it and wore it daily for months. But I wore it less because of the negative display. I flipped it and forget about it for a while. Now I'm coming back to ABC watch, I find that PAW1300 has everything that I always ask from G-Shock, 24 hr CDT, dual time, time display in all modes plus ABC functions. Now I am getting an upgraded of the grail, PAW2000.

On the opposite side, I thought that GWF1000 was a grail. Turn out I don't like it much due to uncomfortable wear and pretty regular functions (beside dive log mode).

oh yes, the g-5500-1jf that looks exactly like the dw-5500-1v, i used to buy it in thailand, and then sold it here on wus for something like 50 euro, and still regret it. then also a nos dw-7200 pentagraph, a very nice 200m WR stainless steel screwback watch also sold for 40 euro. sometimes regret to have sold the frogman masterblue, but its ok considering that a bough some very nice pair of sneakers for that money :D
    regards,
    gerry fonklover

I wouldn't call it a "Grail," but there was a watch that I figured I'd grab if I ever saw one come available. After I got one, I loved it so much I seeked out another one exactly like it.

It's just a DW6900FL-4, and I never thought myself a huge fan of the 6900. But there's just something about the color that I really like. And you gotta love the EL image!!
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

GW-5000 - though the pics on photo reviews - especially of the DLC back sort of hinted at it.

Is there a G-Shock that didn't start as a specil edition, limited edition or already with lots hype then after production over it became a holy grail and highly sought after?
    or usually popularity kicked off right the way.

Quote Originally Posted by wuyeah View Post
    Is there a G-Shock that didn't start as a specil edition, limited edition or already with lots hype then after production over it became a holy grail and highly sought after?
    or usually popularity kicked off right the way.
    GW5000?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information