Ever wonder what Zulu time means? (off-topic)
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sherpa

Thread: Ever wonder what Zulu time means? (off-topic)

Ever wonder what Zulu time means? (off-topic)

Guys,

Was watching a military themed movie that had a storyline that would display the current location and list the time in the military phonetic zone (Zulu, Lima, Romeo, ect.) I can't recall which movie it was but it got me interested in finding out what were these time zones.

Zulu time zone I remember was Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) or for computer guys (UTC). I found this webpage that explains the other time zones with the other call letters.

Military Time - Resources - MilitarySpot.com

I usually keep my G-shocks on 24hr time due to work schedules that are posted as such (1st/2nd/3rd shift) times.

J or Juliet is not a time zone, there are just 25 time zones listed, not like some of our Casios that have >25 time zones. I think some casios will do the 1/2 hour time zones like there are in the West Pacific, but thought this was interesting.

Has anyone in their colorful pasts had to use this type of time zone identification or had experience with it?

Another quick question, does anyone know how the military adjusts their alphabet time zones with Daylight Savings changes?

Cheers,

Sherpa 10:26 Sierra (without DST)
    rjt65 likes this.

Re: Ever wonder what Zulu time means? (off-topic)

Don't know the military thing, but there are MANY 1/2 hour time zones.
    The G's do 29 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa View Post
    Guys,

Was watching a military themed movie that had a storyline that would display the current location and list the time in the military phonetic zone (Zulu, Lima, Romeo, ect.) I can't recall which movie it was but it got me interested in finding out what were these time zones.

Zulu time zone I remember was Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) or for computer guys (UTC). I found this webpage that explains the other time zones with the other call letters.

Military Time - Resources - MilitarySpot.com

I usually keep my G-shocks on 24hr time due to work schedules that are posted as such (1st/2nd/3rd shift) times.

J or Juliet is not a time zone, there are just 25 time zones listed, not like some of our Casios that have >25 time zones. I think some casios will do the 1/2 hour time zones like there are in the West Pacific, but thought this was interesting.

Has anyone in their colorful pasts had to use this type of time zone identification or had experience with it?

Another quick question, does anyone know how the military adjusts their alphabet time zones with Daylight Savings changes?

Cheers,

Sherpa 10:26 Sierra (without DST)
    There's something funny about the explanation of the time zones in your link ... if I think about it awhile I'll probably remember, but it's been 40 years since I used this stuff every day.

First off, we used Zone "L" to designate "Local," not a fixed time zone as in the referenced chart. That way, if we were trying to coordinate activity across time zones that we wanted to take place atnthe same time Local time, we could say, "All units will eat breakfast at 0600 L." Doing it this way a different time did not have to be sent out to each area.

Second, There are only 24 hours in a day, right? So GMT+12 means Zulu time (GMT+/-0) plus 12 time zones. That is a total of 13 zones. That leaves only 11 possible zones remaining - GMT-1 through GMT-11. So what's up with GMT-12? That makes a total of 25 hours in a 24 hour day - something's not right.

We didn't use Daylight Saving Time 40 years ago where I was using this system, so I can't help you there.

More food for thought.

HTH
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

MilitaryTimeZones Table

Time zone name

Letter

UTC|UT|UT1 offset

Alpha Time Zone
    A
    aUT1+01
    Bravo Time Zone
    B
    bUT1+02
    Charlie Time Zone
    C