F-91W strap change
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By d2mac
  • 1 Post By Rocat

Thread: F-91W strap change

F-91W strap change

I bought my F-91W in 1997 - I know it's not a G but thought you might have some sxperience anyway. It's hardly been worn but has been round the world at the bottom of various bags over the years as a back up, and amazingly is still running fine on the original battery. Anyway - I'm trying to get a NATO strap on so I can wear it again, but it won't fit under the bars and the bars themselves don't seem to have springs in them as far as I can tell. The lugs are 'drilled' so to speak but I can't seem to shift the bars. Any tips for getting the new strap on? I've no plans to just buy a new one before anyone suggests it, I'm only bothering with this one as I'm curious to see how long it can remain functional.

Cheers

Matt

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Re: F-91W strap change

The bars are just a wire with a pointet tip and a groove behind the tip.
    If you look into the holes on the lug you will se a pointed side and a flat side if the wire.
    You have ot push out the wire from the pointed side (and assemble it from the other side).
    In the lug on the pointed side there is a small rim holding the wire in place, using the groove behind the pointed tip.

Im not a native speaker but i hope that was understandable.
    Last edited by d2mac; April 24th, 2014 at 11:08.
    Rocat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by d2mac View Post
    The bars are just a wire with a pointet tip and a groove behind the tip.
    If you look into the holes on the lug you will se a pointed side and a flat side if the wire.
    You have ot push out the wire from the pointed side (and assemble it from the other side).
    In the lug on the pointed side there is a small rim holding the wire in place, using the groove behind the pointed tip.

Im not a native speaker but i hope that was understandable.
    Or to explain in even simpler way... there is an arrow on the back of the straps, showing you in which direction to push the bar in the lugs

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies guys, I've had a go at poking the bars out but no success so far. I haven't got anything the right shape and size to hand I think, a pin which I was using seems to be too pointy.

Just to confirm - to remove you push on the pointed end of the bar?

The old strap disintegrated years ago so don't have any arrows to go by.

Quote Originally Posted by matt999 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, I've had a go at poking the bars out but no success so far. I haven't got anything the right shape and size to hand I think, a pin which I was using seems to be too pointy.

Just to confirm - to remove you push on the pointed end of the bar?

The old strap disintegrated years ago so don't have any arrows to go by.
    This should help..Casio F-91W watch - how to remove the pin and replace the strap - YouTube

The guy in the video does make it look easy - once I've located a paper clip I'm going to do it, thanks for all the help.

Interesting to see what happens to 17 year old resin by the way - the remains of the strap just crumbled to dust.
    Cheers
    Matt

The watch housing itself should not suffer resin rot. It is made of harder plastic. I would be careful though pushing the pins out. They will go back in the case like an arrow. My father always replaced his with a leather band once the cheap plastic band wore out. I use his as one of my many "desk clocks".

Dads watch F-91W and his old glasses to the left. I use the glasses for watch batteries and strap swaps. Comes in real handy.

Just realized a Honeymoon photo ended up in the picture. Grand Cayman was, well, Grand. I remember back then walking through the Watch store looking at the Rolexes. Wanted one but decided against breaking out the watch addiction on the Honeymoon----it was too soon. LOL

Dads old beater.

Good luck and good day,
    Last edited by Rocat; April 24th, 2014 at 21:44.
    Crater likes this.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by Rocat View Post

Good luck and good day,
    Great to see F-91w being properly used

That orange Timex looks great, do you have any more photos? It might be my next watch, I really want one with orange strap...

I never thought of the F-91W as an heirloom but they do last a long time obviously - I'll replace the battery in this one eventually and see if it outlasts me!

Thread Information