failure on the screws of caseback survey
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: failure on the screws of caseback survey

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

failure on the screws of caseback survey

share your experience, did you ever had a failure because the screw hole was destroyed by often opening the caseback?

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Re: failure on the screws of caseback survey

After exchanging about 20 battery exchanges on several Gs i never stripped a thread.

But of course one have to be carefull with those tiny screws.

i bought one dw-310 used condition, and when changing the battery found out that one screw was not tightening. the hole was worn out. what i did was using small parts of a matchstick (wood), stick it into the hole and then screw in the screw. its tightening again. however, the solution is not any good at all, i use the watch only as part of collection, i also heard of people using glue insteas, this should work better.
    regards,
    gerry fonklover

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Never had any problems. So long the person working on it is well informed, it will last a person's lifetime (theoretically)

Quote Originally Posted by DimitrisRHO View Post
    share your experience, did you ever had a failure because the screw hole was destroyed by often opening the caseback?
    don't worry ..
    here's a tutorial that will help you fix the problem..
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=108955
    watches are meant to tell times..

Quote Originally Posted by eonianaerial View Post
    Never had any problems. So long the person working on it is well informed, it will last a person's lifetime (theoretically)
    how many changes did you had till now? also on older watches?

Quote Originally Posted by ecalzo View Post
    don't worry ..
    here's a tutorial that will help you fix the problem..
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=108955
    that is a great turorial from baNZ

Never had a problem.
    Just don't over-tighten, and if you DO somehow manage to strip one out, you can refer to the above tutorial. How tight is tight? Turn until the screw stops, that's it. They don't require more torque than what is needed to compress the gasket/draw the case-back flat to the case. Once the screw stops, that's as far down as the case-back can go.

Josh

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

the problem is that far too many people think, a watch only remains it's water resistance if the screws are super tightened - an urban legend.

well, there is a very thin line between very tight and a killed thread. if one is careful and tights the screws slightly, you can do this as often as you like w/o facing any problem ever. just tight screws always crosswise and let the screwdriver slip through your fingers. it can easily be felt when the screw doesn't move any further, so don't force it.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Banned
    Brokeback Mountain, The Balkans, N. Korea, NY, The Middle East.....all the nice places on earth

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.B. View Post
    Never had a problem.
    Just don't over-tighten, and if you DO somehow manage to strip one out, you can refer to the above tutorial. How tight is tight? Turn until the screw stops, that's it. They don't require more torque than what is needed to compress the gasket/draw the case-back flat to the case. Once the screw stops, that's as far down as the case-back can go.

Josh
    I just changed the battery in my dw9052 and dw6900 a few weeks ago. When I put the back bezel back on the watch, I tightened each of the 4 screws really good in a diagonal formation. I tighten each screw really good until it cannot get tightened anymore. I haven't had any problem so far by tightening each and every screw really good like this.
    I don't trust the water resistance of the G-Shock if I only tighten the screws up until the screw stops. I've realized that I can torque each of the 4 screws a little bit more on the case back in order to make the back bezel seal more tightly on the case back of the watch. After I do this, I go thru each and every screw one more time and torque it up to the point where it cannot be tightened anymore.
    I also do the exact same thing to my screw back watches. I tighten the screw back really good up until it cannot be tightened anymore. I torque it 3 to 4 times just to be sure that the screw back is on the watch very tightly.
    Last edited by dimitribouras; July 5th, 2010 at 18:34.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information