Faulty Auto EL ... or ... no Auto EL at all?
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By kmbijit
  • 1 Post By kcohS-G
  • 4 Post By Mike K
  • 1 Post By GaryK30

Thread: Faulty Auto EL ... or ... no Auto EL at all?

Off Topic post Faulty Auto EL ... or ... no Auto EL at all?

Would you rather have a g shock with a faulty auto EL that you never use or the same g shock without the feature at all?
    CASIO GW-M5610-1 & PULSAR PQ2011

Re: Faulty Auto EL ... or ... no Auto EL at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Rostislav Persion View Post
    Would you rather have a g shock with a faulty auto EL that you never use or the same g shock without the feature at all?
    I never use AutoEL on any of my watches which have it. Casio's auto EL mechanism is rather too easy to activate accidentally and I'd rather push a conveniently located button than drain my batteries with accidental activation of the auto EL feature. OT, but in this regard, I found the Timex Flix to be better - it needs a flick of the wrist to activate as against the simple tilt used by Casio, eliminating accidental usage of the light.
    Mike K likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bbsrailfan View Post
    OT, but in this regard, I found the Timex Flix to be better - it needs a flick of the wrist to activate as against the simple tilt used by Casio, eliminating accidental usage of the light.
    Ot: your reply made me recall this song ;) hoping it wont get stuck in your head too :D

kmbijit likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Exactly WHICH part of "Casio had only problems with faulty auto EL's on primarily ONE model, for a relatively short period of time, and seems to have the problem fixed" are you having problems with?

There are millions of auto EL's out there that work without problems, have always worked without problems, and will CONTINUE to work without problems.

YOU happened to have picked the one model that Casio had the most problems with -- yet I can't recall YOUR WATCH ever having this problem, so why are you doing this?

Name:  dead-horse.gif
Views: 134
Size:  129.0 KB

Dead issue = dead horse.

(FWIW, I never use the auto EL myself, for the same reasons that bbsrailfan listed above.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    There are millions of auto EL's out there that work without problems, have always worked without problems, and will CONTINUE to work without problems.
    I have nine Casios -- seven G-Shocks and two Pathfinders -- with Auto EL. It works fine on all of them, but I never use it on any of them, for the reasons noted above.

I do prefer that all features work on a newly-purchased watch, even if it's a feature I won't use.
    Mike K likes this.

I just recently bought 2x 5610 models - both with faulty EL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by seikomd View Post
    I just recently bought 2x 5610 models - both with faulty EL
    I'm sorry to hear this news, but your experience is thankfully no longer as common as it was about two years ago! We have a 20 page thread here detailing member's faulty EL switches and for a while it seemed as though everybody who bought this model had that problem. More recently, though, more and more people were reporting that their new watch did NOT have that problem!

While WUS members admittedly make for a small "sample size," similar problems were being reported in Amazon reviews, to the point where Amazon stopped selling the watch in question. Eventually they started selling the watch again but there have been very few complaints since then, leading most of us to believe that the problem has been resolved.

Watches aren't cars, and defective auto EL's aren't as life-threatening as defective cars, which means there wasn't a recall, which means there are probably STILL a few defective watches out there on store and warehouse shelves -- but alarmist threads like this aren't solving anything.

Because of this somewhat limited problem, in another thread the OP was suggesting that Casio replace the basic "tilt switch" with more complicated technology. Certain Toyota accelerator pedals USED to have a problem, but today nobody's suggesting that we replace ALL car pedals with joysticks or airplane throttles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    I'm sorry to hear this news, but your experience is thankfully no longer as common as it was about two years ago! We have a 20 page thread here detailing member's faulty EL switches and for a while it seemed as though everybody who bought this model had that problem. More recently, though, more and more people were reporting that their new watch did NOT have that problem!

While WUS members admittedly make for a small "sample size," similar problems were being reported in Amazon reviews, to the point where Amazon stopped selling the watch in question. Eventually they started selling the watch again but there have been very few complaints since then, leading most of us to believe that the problem has been resolved.

Watches aren't cars, and defective auto EL's aren't as life-threatening as defective cars, which means there wasn't a recall, which means there are probably STILL a few defective watches out there on store and warehouse shelves -- but alarmist threads like this aren't solving anything.

Because of this somewhat limited problem, in another thread the OP was suggesting that Casio replace the basic "tilt switch" with more complicated technology. Certain Toyota accelerator pedals USED to have a problem, but today nobody's suggesting that we replace ALL car pedals with joysticks or airplane throttles.
    I think a digital sensor would be more reliable and smaller... But like I said, I don't even use this feature since I sleep with my watch on.
    CASIO GW-M5610-1 & PULSAR PQ2011

I think a digital sensor would be more reliable and smaller... But like I said, I don't even use this feature since I sleep with my watch on.
    I seriously question the "smaller" part, but the IMPORTANT issues are "how much more expensive would it be?" and "how much more expensive would it be for Casio to retrofit it into existing designs?"

Casio is building digital watches out of plastic and they're competing against other companies doing the same thing. Like any other company today, they're worried about costs and competition. If a better switch ends up costing an extra dollar per watch -- not just for the switch, but for research and development and other labor -- they're probably not going to do it!

I'm about to glue a tiny trim piece onto a G-Shock case that's about the size of a fingernail clipping -- and the piece is made of chrome-plated plastic, just like the watch's light button. I've seen pictures of the same trim piece and the light button after the chrome plating peeled off, exposing the plastic underneath.

IF Casio just made the trim piece (and the light button) out of metal in the first place, those pieces wouldn't HAVE that problem -- but I understand that it's almost surely less expensive and/or easier for Casio to do it the way they do!

They're building plastic watches for the general public -- most people aren't going to keep them and wear them for twenty years, and most people don't obsess over their watches the way we do around here! A large percentage of people who buy a Casio solar-powered watch probably aren't going to wear it for the entire life of the battery, and a lot of them probably won't even change the battery when it does wear out. Casio could build the ultimate radio-synchronized, solar-powered metal watch, but if it costs even more than the GW-5000 how many people would actually buy it?

Thread Information