Favorite G-Shock for travel.
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Favorite G-Shock for travel.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Favorite G-Shock for travel.

Wondering what many of you who travel either a little or a lot consider to be your favorite G-Shock. Personally I'm sold on either my GW 5600 or the GW 9000 5 eye Mudman.

Both solar & atomic (although the 5600 is 2 band, big deal), super easy to read in a rush such as scrambling for a connecting flight, insanely comfortable, never a problem drawing to much attention, slim enough profile to not get caught on sleeves, backpacks, etc., easy to jump between home time and destination time and of course just plain rugged. I do like my GW 2310 negative display as its got the bonus of showing both time zones at the same time, I just prefer a watch I can look at fast and not think. Something without compass/altimiter/barometric pressure. Everything I need and nothing I don't.

The girlfriend travels such a huge amount I consider her a citizen of the world and do want her to use either the 5600 or the Mudman on her next trip in a few weeks, however the Mudman buttons may prove a little to difficult when compared to the 5600. Bought her a BLX 102 some time ago but like the idea of larger numbers and less cluttered screen.

So, what do all of you great and wonderful fellow G lovers prefer on your globe trotting forays and why.

Cheers

Re: Favorite G-Shock for travel.

I always take more than one watch with me on a trip of any length. Often I might wear one of my basic Casio sports models during the travelling part as they are light on the wrist.

I will take a G or Pro Trek with me too; it's never easy picking which one! It does kinda depend on the holiday. Some are more suited to summer, some winter. But if time zones are a factor I will always make sure I have a world time model with me. Funny what you say about sensors etc. - if I am going near mountains or beach etc. that means I will likely take one of the Risemen or a moon/tide model.

Also I will usually have a dressier watch with me too - one of my analogs for dining out etc. Bulova Longwood is a favourite, Rotary Chronospeed is a cheap but good looking watch that goes well with a lot of smart casual looks. I do have a couple of expensive watches but they do not go abroad - frankly it's not worth the risk.

I pack them all between clothes usually for protection
    Last edited by pritch; August 15th, 2013 at 06:05.

Name:  P1000447 (480x480).jpg
Views: 1331
Size:  154.2 KB

One of these for me... Easy to tell time at a glance. Not too big. Comfortable. Stealth through the metal detector. The resin on those are of the harder sort and in any case, I am not too bothered about nicking or scuffing them (unlike my say, RAF). The scuffing/nicking invariably happens when carrying bags and stuff. Best of all, the easy swapping of time zone between the main and second time zone display is what makes this my favorite travel watch.
    gaopa likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

My DW6600, the GW2310-1 and the GW9000A Mudman that I want to buy.

Riseman or 5600, as they have 2 timezones.

The mudman GW9000 has never failed me on a trip (or being shot at, or crashing and when it gets blood on it I frequently dunk it in a bleach mixture!!).. so even if I decide to wear something else it's in the carry on bag. Same thing applies to the pathfinder model. I always have one of those two either on or in the back pack. They are tried and true in my world. I obviously also second the taking more than one watch. I have had some "semi" expensive watches fail abroad. One being the suunto core. Which sucked!

I do not recommend traveling with watches much more expensive than that....for many reasons I am sure you can imagine.

I also never thought of a lady wearing the GW 9000 but it is of the smaller variations of that G line that wouldn't look over bearing I suppose.

Side note, it's not solar or atomic but I recently added the GD-350 to the collection and I am really liking it!

Take care-

G-2300, GW-2310, GW-6900, GW-M5610.

my Risemen's get to travel with me most of the time, but when the trip is longer than 3 days true WIS takes at least 3 watches with him
    Sedi and ElectricDan like this.

Depends on the destination and the length of the trip. I usually take two either the GW-5000 and Riseman or the MTG-1500B. The last few trips I've managed to just take the 5000 and haven't missed having a second watch at all.

The only two I've travelled with in the last few years are my GW-9300 and GW-5000B. The 9300 for more action packed holidays and the 5000 for more relaxed ones.

As long as it is atomic you'll be golden.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information