A few philosophical questions...

Thread: A few philosophical questions...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A few philosophical questions...

Folks,

I have browsed this site many many times,
    but only signed up when I needed to get a new digital watch.
    Of course I didn't know until I joined up that I actually needed say five of them.h

Anyway, you g-shock guys (members and mods) are seriously friendly and helpful.
    I think it may go with the brand.

I'm interested to know what got you interested in G's and also whether you have any other hobbies which you consider minority.

I can answer very quickly that this forum and you guys sparked my interest in G's and as to other interests I keep tropical fish and referee rugby matches

Anyway, mainly I wanted to comment on how friendly this part of the site is,
    But also curious to know how and even why you became a fan of G shocks.

I hope this is legible - posted from mobile device.

Re: A few philosophical questions...

My 'hobbies':
    Watches
    Knives
    Flashlights
    RC Vehicles
    Computers
    Guns
    and many smaller ones.
    WhtShadow

Current Collection
    Casio 'non-G' 83QS-41, DW-1500, OAW-100TDJ, PAW-1300T,
    G-Shock GW-M5600, GW-800D, MTG-1000G,
    Bulova Accutron 214, Omega SMP 2232.80, Omega SMP 2255.80, Ball Engineer M Challenger, Traser Auto Pro,
    Seiko SDWB61, SNA139, SKA389, SKA296, Momentum Cobalt V Lite, Orient Mako Blue, Orient Mako USA 2 White,
    Victorinox (Swiss Army) Ground Force 60/60, Base Camp Ti

My hobbies:

Watches
    Photography

Why G-Shock? Value for money (most models anyway :) )

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Coler View Post
    I have browsed this site many many times, but only signed up when I needed to get a new digital watch. Of course I didn't know until I joined up that I actually needed say five of them.
    Pretty much how I started. In my case, I hadn't been paying attention to developments like solar power and atomic sync. When I found out what had been going on, I had to have one. My collection was soon at around a dozen, but having sampled many I found I didn't need many, and went into reverse. I also went into reverse with solar power and atomic sync, which I can now take or leave.

My other minority interest would have to be jazz. I've been a collector and 'tiny detail rememberer' in that field too, but have also got that under better control.

My wife turned to me one day and said, 'You read catalogues. I've never known anyone to spend a whole evening reading catalogues.' I don't know if it was a jazz CD catalogue or a watch catalogue, but she was right - I did spend an awful lot of time reading catalogues. It's a male thing.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    My wife turned to me one day and said, 'You read catalogues. I've never known anyone to spend a whole evening reading catalogues.' I don't know if it was a jazz CD catalogue or a watch catalogue, but she was right - I did spend an awful lot of time reading catalogues. It's a male thing.
    I find myself doing this too I also got in to G's because I wanted a solar/atomic watch, and soon found out that I wanted many. I found this site when I was looking for my first dive watch, though. As to my other hobbies, I do math (grad student), ski (ex-racer), play guitar hero (sadly, this is a big enough hobby to list ), play with computers, bike (mountain and road), and lots of other smaller things. And you're right about everyone here being helpful. I can't think of a better group of people that has helped me spend hundreds of dollars Hey, at least it's not thousands...yet.
    Regards,
    Hugh

Current Collection:
    Sinn U1 - Seiko SBBN007 - Hamilton Jazzmaster Traveler GMT - Tissot Seastar 1000
    G-shock DW5025B-7V - G-shock GW700BDJ-2

Outgoing:
    G-shock GW5525A-1 G-shock DW5600R-3JF

Watches
    Multi-tools
    Discs
    Retro Video Games
    Pan Handling

Great replies guys.

I found this site initially when I was looking to buy myself a 'watch for life' kind of watch. Ended up with an omega - which I do really love, but which doesn't cut the mustard for pure, simple accuracy.

I've never been the type to compromise on form over function, so the highly accurate atomic time-keeping quartz movements and digital form factor appealed to me (I selected the particular omega because of its own interesting automatic movement).

I ended up buying a couple of very cheap digital workhorses, almost in protest at the price of the mechanical luxury brands (the area I work in is rife with rolexes and the like). The digi's wore out, and not for the first time I considered G Shock, then I remembered this forum (not all parts of it are as friendly as is this part)...and now I have a riseman, 1500 protrek, GW M5600BC and am awaiting delivery on a GW-2000. It was particularly great to find the GW-2000 as I now feel I have a digital and analogue option for the daily beater which will be really accurate.

I particularly like however that initially I was considering buying the tag heur digi-ana combo watch (aquaracer ?) which is really nice....but just the one watch, and for a few more quid than I spent on all four of the really interesting pieces I got ultimately.

So...this might be the first time anyone tells you guys that they saved them money

And again - nice forum, nice people too and kudos for that.

I always had a thing for casio watches. I remember as a kid in the '80s I had a databank watch that I kept for years. When the lug broke, I bought that watch with the 1/1000 sec stopwatch and the (detachable) piston so you can operate the stopwatch 1 handed. I still have that watch somewhere, but the alarm no longer works...

I remember it was the mid '90s when they started selling G-shocks in my area. I bought a Dw-9000 in about 1998. Fine watch, very accurate. Chucked it when a battery change went wrong and had a module failure a couple of months after the change - i think it must've got wet, even though I had told them to re-seal it.

Nevermind. I bought a mudman last year, found this website, then bought a spike lee DW 5000, which is awesome!

I think the guys on this forum are great too, and it's nice to have you join us, Coler.

a few other hobbies include:

-comicbooks
    -4X4s
    -scale model building
    -beer bottles ( whenever we get the chance to travel, I make sure to sample the local brew and search for a few more that I dont normally find in my home country.)

I empty each, then store the bottles after.

And yeah, I've had my fair share of odd looks from airport/baggage inspectors.

And why G-Shocks? Well IMO most are chunky,rugged and durable. Just the way I like 'em! Strange thing was,like several here.. there was actually a time when I favored the Rolexes,Omegas and Tags but later on found out that it just wasnt me.

Last edited by KVM888; April 7th, 2009 at 20:27.
    best regards,

Kirk M.

GWF-1000-1JF
    GDF-100
    GW-9110-1JF
    GW-9400BJ-1JF
    GD-350-1JF
    G-700D
    DW-9052
    DW-9500
    DW-5900
    DW-7400