A Few Questions on Gshock Durability...
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: A Few Questions on Gshock Durability...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A Few Questions on Gshock Durability...

So from my understanding, as i'm a new G-shock owner, these watches are pretty rugged and legit. I've seen all the tests on the Casio website as well as a few youtubers putting them to their own tests. However, i have a few questions regarding their "ruggedness", if you will, in the light of reliability to all the elements.

From what i can gather, the Mudman is the be-all of ruggedness. With sealed buttons and an enclosed bezel, it can withstand anything you throw at it (especially mud!). However, these questions are addressed at non-mudman models, ones with the exposed metal buttons. My model in particular: AWG100-1A

1) How does this (and other models non-Mudman) stand up to sand, dirt, grime, etc? What about engine oil?

2) Since the buttons aren't sealed like that of the Mudman, will pressing them underwater or when exposed to water compromise it's integrity or seal?

3) This might be dumb, but what about fire or high heat exposure?

Thanks for all the help, and i'm glad to have joined the G-shock community!

Re: A Few Questions on Gshock Durability...

Welcome to the forum All G Shocks are water resistant to 200m so that means they are all well sealed. Heat or fire they are resin and I dont know what temperature the will melt at but your arm will be in pretty bad shape before your G gives up
    nigelw likes this.

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

Quote Originally Posted by Vrbas View Post
    So from my understanding, as i'm a new G-shock owner, these watches are pretty rugged and legit. I've seen all the tests on the Casio website as well as a few youtubers putting them to their own tests. However, i have a few questions regarding their "ruggedness", if you will, in the light of reliability to all the elements.

From what i can gather, the Mudman is the be-all of ruggedness. With sealed buttons and an enclosed bezel, it can withstand anything you throw at it (especially mud!). However, these questions are addressed at non-mudman models, ones with the exposed metal buttons. My model in particular: AWG100-1A

1) How does this (and other models non-Mudman) stand up to sand, dirt, grime, etc? What about engine oil?

2) Since the buttons aren't sealed like that of the Mudman, will pressing them underwater or when exposed to water compromise it's integrity or seal?

Thanks for all the help, and i'm glad to have joined the G-shock community!

My brother is an airframe mechanic for a commercial airline. I have given him G-Shock as Christmas gifts for the last 12-15 years. Despite the tools and chemicals he works with, he has never ruined one. He's replaced a couple of bands, but that's it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I just read an epic story on another thread where a member was driving and collided with a cow at 60 mph. When the airbag deployed his arm was thrown back, shattering the driver-side window. His G-shock was fine.
    "...[A] watch isn’t about telling the time, it is about your relationship with time. A watch is about style, a story and the history of both your watch and your own life."
    -Askmen.com's The Watch Snob

LUW

Legend has it that when the world ends because of a nuclear holocaust, only the G-Shocks and the cockroaches will remain.

And I believe that.
    Though I'm a bit skeptical about the roaches...
    nigelw likes this.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

I'm a line cook. We once thought about trying to chop up a G and include it into people's food. Then we realized that we'd have to quadruple the prices of the entrees if we ever decided to include G essence into the food. The markup in price isn't because the ingredient is so valuable, but because the insane amount of labor that is required to handle the damn G. I have a much better chance of trying to perfectly cut out the nonpoisonous meat of fugu while blindfolded than trying to extract the flavor of G-Shock for the night's service. At least with fugu, I have some chance of surviving. There's no chance of making it out alive when trying to prep a G.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by Vrbas View Post
    all g-shock's can handle that just fine.

the outer mudman buttons are mud-resist, not water-prooof. that means that between the inner case and the inner buttons will be as much water as on any other g-shock. all g-shock buttons are usualy double-o-ring sealed, if they are intact, there will never be a compromise. if not, any g-shock including the mudman will fail.

they will melt

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

i also remember reading, and it would make sense, that any analog G is going to be less shock-proof than a digital only version. is there any legitimacy to that claim? it would make perfect sense, i had just never thought of it that way.

i was vehemently anti-G for a while. then i bought one to abuse at work. almost a sick fascination. and... i love it.

i've been late to work for having to set my automatics. plus, you're always aware that it's on your wrist. you never really drop your protective guard. with a G. (especially an atomic/solar G) you can totally forget that it's on your wrist. fantastic.
    Current Collection:
    Breitling Emergency
    Rolex Submariner 14060M Z

Tissot T-Touch Expert Titanium
    Seiko SKX007
    Seiko SKXA35
    Seiko 7548-7009
    Casio G-Shock Mudmaster GWG-1000
    Casio G-shock GA1000-4A
    Casio G-shock AWG-101-1A (2)
    Casio G-shock DW-9000

WANTS
    Doxa Sub 1200T
    Marathon TSAR
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean

Kobold Polar Surveyor

Quote Originally Posted by goneontheroad View Post
    i also remember reading, and it would make sense, that any analog G is going to be less shock-proof than a digital only version. is there any legitimacy to that claim? it would make perfect sense, i had just never thought of it that way.

i was vehemently anti-G for a while. then i bought one to abuse at work. almost a sick fascination. and... i love it.

i've been late to work for having to set my automatics. plus, you're always aware that it's on your wrist. you never really drop your protective guard. with a G. (especially an atomic/solar G) you can totally forget that it's on your wrist. fantastic.
    A digital watch has zero moving parts.
    An an analog watch has hands that have to physically move plus the mechanics to drive them, so I guess in theory they will be more susceptible to shocks, at the same time they are still built as G Shocks, which are designed from the ground up to be rugged and tough, so I have no worries with my AWG-101 at all.

The amount of shock it would take to damage the mechanics of an analog G is probably going to leave me a lot more worried about the state of my wrist and the rest of my body, so whether a digital model may be fractionally more shockproof is somewhat irrelevant in my eyes...

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Quote Originally Posted by goneontheroad View Post
    I never read anything about a failed analog G here (fail related to shocks).
    So i agree in having a bigger risk of mechanical failure at mechanic hands.
    But in real life they are very sturdy too.

There is one thing i dont like in the analog drives in Gs:
    - higher power consumption and smaller batteries

So battery lifetime (in solar watches probably accu lifetime) is shorter.

So i had to buy a spare all-digital for every analog G i bought....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information