• 3 Post By Ard
  • 5 Post By Cowboy Bebop
  • 1 Post By sticky
  • 1 Post By buddhashenglong
  • 1 Post By ccm123

Thread: Finally Bought Another Square;

Ard

Finally Bought Another Square;

I bought one in 1984 and have used it hard. It still functions perfectly and I gave it a new resin case and strap a few years back but......... I no longer trust the water resist properties so I got a new one from another forum member.

Name:  13679.JPG
Views: 114
Size:  122.3 KB

The old is a DW5200 and the new is (I forget already) anyway it has the blackout dial and auto time setting but no good to me in Alaska. I managed to get it on the right time zone and it is just 2 seconds fast so I won't mess with time setting. It'll be my new work watch and I won't have to worry about drowning my old friend any more.

Name:  13680.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  96.0 KB

The new one has the very cool composite bracelet and that makes up for the blackout readout.

My guess is that people either love the blackout or hate it, I'm willing to let it grow on me because I've been staring at my expensive analog dials for way too long. This feature makes you actually need to check the time and not to just aimlessly gaze at a watch dial..........

Oh, it's solar powered too.
    Last edited by Ard; 1 Week Ago at 06:13.
    Dxnnis, scooby, ccm123 and 17 others like this.

Re: Finally Bought Another Square;

25 years for a watch is a solid run. A new gasket + silicone lube will probably ensure water tight properties for another 25. I prefer the old model FWIW, looks OK actually. Never a fan of the negative display, some swear by it though. Good luck, your experience is a testament to Casio durability

Ard

My old one has a new O ring on the screw back although my concern was the pushers leaking. Does anyone know about the seals on those? Oh and by the way it's been running for 35 years at this time. I bought that watch while I was working for Bethlehem Steel Corp. back in 84, used it for another 4 years in that mill and then went on to Alaska in 1989 to work for a commercial fishing company. After that it was my primary work watch in the restoration business until I got a Seiko auto in 1999. The Seiko was easier to clean because it was all stainless.
    Dxnnis, buddhashenglong and Rocat like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    I bought one in 1984 and have used it hard. It still functions perfectly and I gave it a new resin case and strap a few years back but......... I no longer trust the water resist properties so I got a new one from another forum member.

Name:  13679.JPG
Views: 114
Size:  122.3 KB

The old is a DW5200 and the new is (I forget already) anyway it has the blackout dial and auto time setting but no good to me in Alaska. I managed to get it on the right time zone and it is just 2 seconds fast so I won't mess with time setting. It'll be my new work watch and I won't have to worry about drowning my old friend any more.

Name:  13680.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  96.0 KB

The new one has the very cool composite bracelet and that makes up for the blackout readout.

My guess is that people either love the blackout or hate it, I'm willing to let it grow on me because I've been staring at my expensive analog dials for way too long. This feature makes you actually need to check the time and not to just aimlessly gaze at a watch dial..........

Oh, it's solar powered too.
    The gaskets can be replaced...I've done it myself on all my dw5600c and 5000c and have not had any water resistant issues. For the buttons you can use the gaskets and spring from the dw5600e and the caseback gasket can be ordered from packparts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    TAG Heuer Collector.

Well done Ard. You can’t beat a G square.
    Ard likes this.

Well, it seems like a bit of restoration will go a long way on the ol' square. No knock on the new guy but yeah, there's a reason the original is still going.
    Ard likes this.

Brentwood, CA 94513 (San Francisco Bay Area)

Congrats!
    Ard likes this.
    If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one. ~Cavett Robert

Ard

It's been in constant use since arrival and passed the cabin test. I have a remote camp here and the work there is rough. Compared to my Aquaracer a G Shock is so light you don't even notice you're wearing a watch. I set the auto illuminate feature so when you reach that dusk or dawn period when it's hard to read it lights up when you tilt the face toward you. That's a pretty cool thing :)

G square is a fantastic choice, congrats.