Finally got my 9300 Muddie! (and a few questions)

Thread: Finally got my 9300 Muddie! (and a few questions)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Finally got my 9300 Muddie! (and a few questions)

So after months of waiting, seeing tantalizing wrist shots, reviews and discussions, and a mishap with watches-uk over the 9300GY, I couldn't hold back any longer and finally got myself a G9300-1. To be fair, I was torn between the +ve display and the Gold/Black so I got both, with a solemn promise to myself that I would return the one I liked less. And as expected, I just couldn't bring myself to like the gold accents on the GB. I'm going to return it all right, unless someone wants it (check out the sales forum f29), but I digress.

Anyway, this is an awesome piece - light, super comfy and loaded with features. Time is visible in all modes! Also cool is the city name scroller in WT mode. And as others have pointed out, the solar panel is larger, so I anticipate less frequent drops to 'M'.

That said, I have two questions:

1. I'm being asked the USP of this watch and I've been casually mentioning that it's the first G with a compass. Is it really or does that distinction belong to another G?

2. I'm surprised at the low legibility of the digits on the GB. I've got a GB King coming in sometime soon, can someone who has both do a quick check on the contrast/legibility of the 9300GB vs the GX56GB? I expected a better contrast on the GB than the regular negative displays but was caught off-guard by the opposite observation. Just for comparison I put the 9300GB beside a GX56-1A and felt the King to be slightly more readable. Is it just me?

The ritual wrist shot: (cell phone pic, please excuse)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Finally got my 9300 Muddie! (and a few questions)

My eyes found the 9300gb and 56gb to be exactly the same contrast-wise.. just slightly larger digits on the King GB.. To me they look the same.

As for your first question, the Wademan had a compass. It's a very large G that has not been produced in years.

Sent from the Office of the Reincarnated President of the Republic of Texas
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Shocker View Post
    My eyes found the 9300gb and 56gb to be exactly the same contrast-wise.. just slightly larger digits on the King GB.. To me they look the same.
    Yeah, that must be it - hopefully it'll be at least as legible as the GX56-1A. Looking forward to my GX56GB now!

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsip85 View Post
    As for your first question, the Wademan had a compass. It's a very large G that has not been produced in years.
    Ouch, that's large. I'll revise my response to "it's the first G-shock with a compass in a compact case"

BTW, out of curiosity, I pitted the G9300's compass against a PRG510 and a Suunto Core, and it was off by about 10 degrees from both (with the Protrek and the Suunto agreeing somewhat). Anyone else see this too?

Looks like some R(eading)TFM tonight

The compass on my 9300 was exact to the Core that I have, but it did seem a tad slower getting a reading.

Congrats nagpal, yes the Wademan is the first G with a compass. Very large but seems more wearable than the giants of today. The only thing that put me off from scoring a vintage one was the fact that it uses two batteries IIRC. If Casio repro'ed the Wademan I am struggling to find a selling point they can use as a gimmick, since the 9300 pretty much has it covered
    GTR stands for George The Rabid. Fanboy of COSC (Casio - Orient - Seiko - Citizen, in that order )

Quote Originally Posted by iBilly View Post
    The compass on my 9300 was exact to the Core that I have, but it did seem a tad slower getting a reading.
    I'll read the manual to see if I can get better alignment with the Mudman's compass, but yes, the lag is noticeable. The Core seems to go 'Here it is' whereas the Casio is 'Wait a minute, let me look that up for ya'

Quote Originally Posted by GTR83 View Post
    Congrats nagpal, yes the Wademan is the first G with a compass. Very large but seems more wearable than the giants of today. The only thing that put me off from scoring a vintage one was the fact that it uses two batteries IIRC. If Casio repro'ed the Wademan I am struggling to find a selling point they can use as a gimmick, since the 9300 pretty much has it covered
    Thanks George, for me the battery would be a non-issue (have a PRG40 that takes 4 of them!) but the size/form factor is outlandish. I guess I reject the design subconsciously, which is why I haven't (and probably won't) picked up a Riseman yet.

Congrats nagpal, I can´t take mine off and the compass is an interesting feature on an watch. But can´t see pratical use on my life. If I go to an expedition on the woods, I´ll probaly search for a gps.
    too bad you don´t like the GB, I am waiting mine, hope I like it.

Go Team Bravus!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information