Finding G-Shock by Features?

Thread: Finding G-Shock by Features?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    47

    Finding G-Shock by Features?

    How do you go about sorting through the large number of available G-Shock models? I'm not a G collector--I'm just looking for my "One G" to be my sports/yardwork/tough watch when I'm not wearing my mechanicals. I tried the G-Shock Perfect Search, but it does not seem to work well for me. It failed to return models that I have seen and should have fit my criteria. Are there other places to filter out G-Shock models?

    As long as I'm posting, I'll go ahead and lay out what I'm looking for. Primary requirement is ana-digi with a stopwatch/lap function. I want the analog part for time of day, but I need the digital stopwatch for running. Large, visible stopwatch is a plus. I know there are many models that would meet those needs. Beyond that, atomic would be nice to have, and I would like to size to reasonable (not huge).

    I suspect that there are a lot of models that fit my basic criteria, which is why I would really like to have a way to browse through all suitable models myself. Still, if anyone can make recommendations here, I would welcome that too.

  2. #2
    Member Sengyoku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,372

    Re: Finding G-Shock by Features?

    Seems like the fastest way to find the right G is just to ask this forum these days!

    I'm a bit rushed for a proper respond are but have a look at the GW-3500B aviator and the cheaper AWG-M100, just two currently available anadigi models which aren't xl models.

    Edit: I just thought of another, the 'sad face' :) GA-1000, have a look at that model as well

    Sent from the 'droid.
    Last edited by Sengyoku; March 11th, 2014 at 18:02.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    478

    Re: Finding G-Shock by Features?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sengyoku View Post
    Seems like the fastest way to find the right G is just to ask this forum these days!

    I'm a bit rushed for a proper respond are but have a look at the GW-3500B aviator and the cheaper AWG-M100, just two currently available anadigi models which aren't xl models.

    Edit: I just thought of another, the 'sad face' :) GA-1000, have a look at that model as well

    Sent from the 'droid.
    It is true that there is more information on this forum than anywhere else. The depth of knowledge and willingness to understand and to help have been gratifying and effective.

    When I began to look for G-Shocks, like you I supposed there would be an official Casio "features chart" where one could easily find watches with a specific feature set, or near to it. I found nothing like that and must conclude that Casio's version of customer service does not include such a thing.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    47

    Re: Finding G-Shock by Features?

    I like the AWG-M100 overall, and I like the appearance. I think I'd like a larger digital display for the stopwatch function, though.

  6. #5
    Member Mike K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    5,784

    Re: Finding G-Shock by Features?

    Quote Originally Posted by Godan View Post
    When I began to look for G-Shocks, like you I supposed there would be an official Casio "features chart" where one could easily find watches with a specific feature set, or near to it. I found nothing like that and must conclude that Casio's version of customer service does not include such a thing.
    Like this? Product Finder - Watches - CASIO

    Admittedly, one has to know to look at Casio International dot com to find it -- I think it should be a little easier to find.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    478

    Re: Finding G-Shock by Features?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Like this? Product Finder - Watches - CASIO

    Admittedly, one has to know to look at Casio International dot com to find it -- I think it should be a little easier to find.
    Thanks. That is interesting, and somehow I had not found it. Unless I am missing something, it does not list "current time shown in stopwatch mode" as a feature, but there is plenty of information about cosmetics.

  8. #7
    Member Mike K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    5,784

    Re: Finding G-Shock by Features?

    Quote Originally Posted by Godan View Post
    Thanks. That is interesting, and somehow I had not found it. Unless I am missing something, it does not list "current time shown in stopwatch mode" as a feature, but there is plenty of information about cosmetics.
    There's theoretically plenty of information about features, too, but like every other "G-Shock Finder" it's got flaws.

    I like solar/atomic G's, so I selected "shock resistant," "200m water resistant," and "radio controlled watch (Wave Ceptor)" and it left off quite a few solar/atomic G-Shocks -- the only non-analogs it found were the Riseman and the GWX-8900.

    I tried again without "shock resistant" and only selected "200m water resist" and "radio controlled" and I got the same short list -- it STILL didn't bring up the GW-6900, GW-2310, anything from the GW-5000 series, or ANY of the GW-500/MTG-900 versions.

  9. #8
    Member cal..45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)
    Posts
    8,516

    Re: Finding G-Shock by Features?

    Quote Originally Posted by aagiv View Post
    How do you go about sorting through the large number of available G-Shock models? I'm not a G collector--I'm just looking for my "One G" to be my sports/yardwork/tough watch when I'm not wearing my mechanicals. I tried the G-Shock Perfect Search, but it does not seem to work well for me. It failed to return models that I have seen and should have fit my criteria. Are there other places to filter out G-Shock models?

    As long as I'm posting, I'll go ahead and lay out what I'm looking for. Primary requirement is ana-digi with a stopwatch/lap function. I want the analog part for time of day, but I need the digital stopwatch for running. Large, visible stopwatch is a plus. I know there are many models that would meet those needs. Beyond that, atomic would be nice to have, and I would like to size to reasonable (not huge).

    I suspect that there are a lot of models that fit my basic criteria, which is why I would really like to have a way to browse through all suitable models myself. Still, if anyone can make recommendations here, I would welcome that too.
    Actually the only reasonable sized ana-digi G made currently is the AWG-Mxxx series but the digital parts are tiny, so I strongly recommend to go full digital if you want to use the stopwatch and other functions a lot.


    cheers
    We are 12.6 %

  10. #9
    Member Sedi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bamberg, Germany
    Posts
    13,980

    Re: Finding G-Shock by Features?

    @ Mike K
    It's probably because the search only lists the models that are sold in that particular market. The Casio-Intl Homepage is mostly for the countries in Asia that are outside the reach of a tower transmitting atomic time - just a little while back there were no atomic watches at all on Casio-Intl. Therefore that "model finder" is very limited.
    IMO an ana-digi with a decent stopwatch is the GW-2500 but that one's probably getting harder to find. The AWG-M100 has only a 60 min stopwatch. IMO a fully digital model like the W-S220 is best for running as it also has a lap memory which can store up to 120 laps or 60 full sessions. The STW-1000 is the atomic JDM version with the same features and a different design.

    cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    478

    Re: Finding G-Shock by Features?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    @ Mike K
    It's probably because the search only lists the models that are sold in that particular market. The Casio-Intl Homepage is mostly for the countries in Asia that are outside the reach of a tower transmitting atomic time - just a little while back there were no atomic watches at all on Casio-Intl. Therefore that "model finder" is very limited.
    IMO an ana-digi with a decent stopwatch is the GW-2500 but that one's probably getting harder to find. The AWG-M100 has only a 60 min stopwatch. IMO a fully digital model like the W-S220 is best for running as it also has a lap memory which can store up to 120 laps or 60 full sessions. The STW-1000 is the atomic JDM version with the same features and a different design.

    cheers, Sedi
    The recommendation of the W-S220 is excellent advice. While the lap memory is not useful for me, the current time in stopwatch mode and the stopwatch longer than one hour are both valuable. It is not a G-Shock, but the solar works and my first one has endured mild battering associated with pre-dawn urban running. I just ordered a second one from Amazon in order to try painting over and otherwise covering the tacky writing that Casio insists on putting all over the watch. They are inexpensive enough so that I am emboldened to experiment toward making its appearance more subdued and restrained.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •