First Casio incoming. Looking to add Saphire Crystal.

Thread: First Casio incoming. Looking to add Saphire Crystal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First Casio incoming. Looking to add Saphire Crystal.

Just ordered my first Casio. After seeing it on this forum I went and fingered an EQSA500B-1AC at my local Macy's. Went back later and it was gone. They ordered one for me with free shipping and a 25% discount and I should have it in a few days. The only feature I don't like about this watch is the mineral glass crystal. I have read quite a few reports of these Casio watch crystals being scratching very easily. Are there any modders out there that are offering Sapphire crystals for these? Coming from a Seiko background I'm pretty used to getting whatever I want easily swapped out by the various through the various suppliers such as yobokies, motor city watch works and 10watches. Who are the Casio modders (if any) that I should know of? Thanks!
    Seiko Watches
    SKX007J
    SNGZ13K1
    SKX779K
    6139-6002

Re: First Casio incoming. Looking to add Saphire Crystal.

There are plenty of modders here but they specialize in G-Shocks. The occasional edifice comes by but it is not the main source of topics here. Maybe you would get luckier asking this question on the Asian watch forum of wus.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostinthewoods View Post
    Just ordered my first Casio. After seeing it on this forum I went and fingered an EQSA500B-1AC at my local Macy's. Went back later and it was gone. They ordered one for me with free shipping and a 25% discount and I should have it in a few days. The only feature I don't like about this watch is the mineral glass crystal. I have read quite a few reports of these Casio watch crystals being scratching very easily. Are there any modders out there that are offering Sapphire crystals for these? Coming from a Seiko background I'm pretty used to getting whatever I want easily swapped out by the various through the various suppliers such as yobokies, motor city watch works and 10watches. Who are the Casio modders (if any) that I should know of? Thanks!

I don't see the Casio crystals being scratched easily. Mineral glass is supposed to be more impact resistant than sapphire, so there is an advantage to the mineral glass when it comes to impact (which is mainly what G-shocks are all about). As for scratches, I haven't scratched any of my crystals yet. Sure, if you scrape against a hard rock it might get a scratch, but in normal use it is not a problem.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kung-fusion View Post
    I don't see the Casio crystals being scratched easily. Mineral glass is supposed to be more impact resistant than sapphire, so there is an advantage to the mineral glass when it comes to impact (which is mainly what G-shocks are all about). As for scratches, I haven't scratched any of my crystals yet. Sure, if you scrape against a hard rock it might get a scratch, but in normal use it is not a problem.
    Unless the crystal is recessed I would go with either acrylic or sapphire crystals. Mineral crystal is (for me at least) the worst of both worlds. Unlike sapphire it scratches, and it is impossible to buff it out to like new condition, which is not a problem with acrylic crystal.

Not a problem for G-shocks, since they are made to be abused, but with any other watch it's a no-no in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by samael_6978 View Post

Unless the crystal is recessed I would go with either acrylic or sapphire crystals. Mineral crystal is (for me at least) the worst of both worlds. Unlike sapphire it scratches, and it is impossible to buff it out to like new condition, which is not a problem with acrylic crystal.

Not a problem for G-shocks, since they are made to be abused, but with any other watch it's a no-no in my book.
    I have used glass polishing compound to buff out some very deep scratches in mineral crystal to make the crystal look new again...
    But I will admit it isn't easy.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

I don't know who mods a Casio to sapphire, but be advised that this only makes sense when the crystal has an inner ar coating. Sappihre is the worst of crystals when it comes to reflections (besides domed acrylic) and I have had and sold watches with sapphire but without proper ar just because of that.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

LUW

Why this infatuation about sapphire crystal on a G-Shock ?
    It's like wanting to put a crown on a digital watch.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Quote Originally Posted by LUW View Post
    Why this infatuation about sapphire crystal on a G-Shock ?
    It's like wanting to put a crown on a digital watch.
    Why don't you read the original post. The OP is wanting to buy edifice...

LUW

Sorry, my mistake.
    But still, if the Edifice is supposedly almost as tough as a G....
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Quote Originally Posted by LUW View Post
    Sorry, my mistake.
    But still, if the Edifice is supposedly almost as tough as a G....
    I've never had one, so I don't know. What I do know is that mineral crystal is pain in the a...

As I said in my previous post I will take sapphire or acrylic crystals, if I have a choice. Mineral crystal is not absolute deal breaker, but I prefer the other option. I guess OP has similar viewpoint.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information