First G-Shock / Advice
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: First G-Shock / Advice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First G-Shock / Advice

Hi guys,

I would like to hear your advice on my first G-Shock. To be honest i don't have much info on them.

USE
    I like to find use it as a daily beater and which has the ability get some beating. To be able to take it when i go to a bike or hiking ride without being afraid of scratching it.

LOOKS / AESTHETICS
    i like to be more on the "minimal" or classic style, and not too flashy. I also like the "pilot" watch looks. I don't know if there is a model who combine that. I happen to like the GA 100 model. Although which is also digital and analog but i don't know if all black parts make it hard to read.

BUDGET
    $100 to $200 for now.

Any suggestions on models and where to buy them? I don't know if all Amazon sellers are real are not fake models are filtering there.

Thanks for your kind help and sorry about my english.

Re: First G-Shock / Advice

Given that budget, you could try more than one, especially if you browse decent used examples. They can become like certain snack foods where stopping at a few is difficult. I suggest simply "diving in". The range has grown quite large since 1983. Many avenues to try from a very few dollars on up. I look here and on eBay, mostly. I've bought very few "new". The "stalk" is most entertaining.
    Enjoy them!
    Last edited by J.D.B.; May 23rd, 2015 at 18:01.
    Farlius and uzapuca like this.
    Thank you, I'm flattered, but, please don't click any "Likes" for me (unless there's a prize for "most likes")?

Here's a GREAT thread about how to choose your first G-Shock: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/sta...ck-850524.html

You've already answered a couple of the first questions that thread will ask, like style and price range, but G-Shocks come with a WIDE variety of features. All G-Shocks can survive a beating and keep working, but do you need or want features like solar power, radio-controlled "atomic" accuracy, or other features like tide graphs, compass, altimeter/barometer, and so on? All of those features are available in your price range, though you might not get them all on one watch!

As far as fakes go, there ARE some fake G-Shocks on Amazon these days as well as on eBay. Your best chance of spotting them -- besides asking this forum and providing links! -- is to really familiarize yourself with the particular model you decide on. Look at photographs on this forum, look at photographs of the real thing on Casio's websites, and (if you decide on a commonly faked model) look through the "Fake G-Shock Report" subforum and learn the differences between the copies and the real thing.
    Farlius and uzapuca like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

First G-Shock / Advice

The GWM5610-1 is a an excellent Square to start with. I've had that one and a couple in the Aviation series and a Rangeman which were all fantastic. In the end I 'upgraded' to a GW-5000 which is now my one and only G-Shock.

You're bound to get a lot of differing g-Shock opinions and options on WUS!

Good luck with the search!

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone 7
    Last edited by Farlius; May 23rd, 2015 at 19:07.
    uzapuca likes this.
    "The only thing that stays the same around here is how things change." - Me

https://www.instagram.com/farlius/

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.B. View Post
    Given that budget, you could try more than one, especially if you browse decent used examples. They can become like certain snack foods where stopping at a few is difficult. I suggest simply "diving in". The range has grown quite large since 1983. Many avenues to try from a very few dollars on up. I look here and on eBay, mostly. I've bought very few "new". The "stalk" is most entertaining.
    Enjoy them!
    Thanks for the fast reply

I can see there is tons of models...hard to keep up. I guess they also the models are changed quite frequently too

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Here's a GREAT thread about how to choose your first G-Shock: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/sta...ck-850524.html

You've already answered a couple of the first questions that thread will ask, like style and price range, but G-Shocks come with a WIDE variety of features. All G-Shocks can survive a beating and keep working, but do you need or want features like solar power, radio-controlled "atomic" accuracy, or other features like tide graphs, compass, altimeter/barometer, and so on? All of those features are available in your price range, though you might not get them all on one watch!

As far as fakes go, there ARE some fake G-Shocks on Amazon these days as well as on eBay. Your best chance of spotting them -- besides asking this forum and providing links! -- is to really familiarize yourself with the particular model you decide on. Look at photographs on this forum, look at photographs of the real thing on Casio's websites, and (if you decide on a commonly faked model) look through the "Fake G-Shock Report" subforum and learn the differences between the copies and the real thing.

Thanks for the very interesting info

I check that forum and it a great way to start to know about the G-Shock family. Cheers on that.

Solar power and ABC functions would be nice to have. I like the analog / digital combinations too. For first glance it somethings faster to have the analog feature.

Best,
    Last edited by uzapuca; May 23rd, 2015 at 19:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Farlius View Post
    The GWM5610-1 is a an excellent Square to start with. I've had that one and a couple in the Aviation series and a Rangeman which were all fantastic. In the end I 'upgraded' to a GW-5000 which is now my one and only G-Shock.

You're bound to get a lot of differing g-Shock options and options on WUS!

Good luck with the search!

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone 7

The GWM5610-1 looks strong indeed.

By the way, would you know
    some model with the aviation looks like the GWA 1000-1A

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-G-shock-...ds=GWA+1000-1A

but not at this price range?

Best,

Quote Originally Posted by uzapuca View Post

The GWM5610-1 looks strong indeed.

By the way, would you know
    some model with the aviation looks like the GWA 1000-1A

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-G-shock-...ds=GWA+1000-1A

but not at this price range?

Best,
    The GW-A1000 versions on the resin bands without a special color scheme seem to be the lower prices. You could look at Ebay and maybe find a good deal in your price range.

Good luck!

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone 7
    uzapuca likes this.
    "The only thing that stays the same around here is how things change." - Me

https://www.instagram.com/farlius/

Quote Originally Posted by uzapuca View Post

USE
    I like to find use it as a daily beater and which has the ability get some beating. To be able to take it when i go to a bike or hiking ride without being afraid of scratching it.
    Any 5600 is great. I have a GLX-5600 for a year now and I never was afraid of scratching it. It´s unbeatlable! You cant destroy it but a problem could be that you dont like the square design. Personally I love the design :)
    greetings from germany
    uzapuca likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information