First G-Shock for me, some questions
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: First G-Shock for me, some questions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First G-Shock for me, some questions

Hey, i just registered an i am new to this forum.

i had a baby g when i was a kid, my father bought it for me. i used it for some years, don't know happened to it. You know, kids :)

Now i am older and want to buy a regular g shock again. I am mainly using standard, around 250$ watches until now. The two watches i own are analog.

I am in Japan on holidays now, so i saw a lot of g shocks here and also visited the official store and other watch stores or electronic markets like big camera where i saw them.

I've read this forum for some evenings and came to the conclusion to buy a gd 350. I like the all black model with the black display.

Is it hard to read a "negative" -i think its called that way- display in direct sunlight? Is this watch a good model for a starter like me? Or would you suggest something else? The official website has like 150 models, aviation, king of g, classic and stuff i dont really know the difference until now. I dont want something with moon phase prediction or anything really fancy. The normal models with their stopwatch and stuff have enough features as a first digital watch i think.

thanks in advance:)
    Last edited by Kulu; August 14th, 2013 at 21:27.

Re: First G-Shock for me, some questions

The most recent reversed LCD by Casio is not that difficult to read, but you will have to judge for yourself when you see one.

When you have too many choices and don't know which one to go with, its always nice to pick one of the more basic and classic models. depends no your budge and the style that you like, you can being with GWM5610, GW5000, GW6900 ..
    Kulu likes this.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Have you ever seen a family tree? It's the same with g-shocks. You will start with one, that will lead to another three, those to another nine, and so on

A GD-350 is as good a sire as any, welcome to the madness!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

LUW

Dude, you're in JAPAN! You have access to any G currently in production, and they will be available in a gazillion stores. At Big Camera you probably have more models to choose from then most of us have in our whole home cities. So take your time and look for what models catches your fancy. Choose a few models that you like and if you're still undecided ask here and someone will certainly be able to say how the watch is on the wrist.
    Just be real careful with negative displays, they are hard to read in any light, many (like me) hate them because of that.
    Kulu likes this.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Have you ever seen a family tree? It's the same with g-shocks. You will start with one, that will lead to another three, those to another nine, and so on

Like this ?

pritch and tse_tse like this.
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Hey, thanks for the interesting answers. I assumed its a positive point to be in Japan for buying a Gshock. They are literally everywhere, of course in every watch shop but also in many other stores, even clothing stores:)
    So i see there is a GD-350 in black with negative display and a grey one with normal display. I also saw a watch marked as GD-350 in black, but normal display and golden aspects, which isnt on the g-shock.com website. The GW6900 mentioned by stockae also looks nice, its similar to the 350 when it comes to the look? It just looked smaller to me, but i dindt have both in the hands at the same time. The other two mentioned by stockae (GWM5610 and GW5000) arent on the website and i didnt find them when i looked in shibuya today. Many shops in japan dont state the exact model when the watch is displayed so i am having a hard time finding those.

But as i said thanks for those tips:)

Maybe some1 want me to send him a watch from here. Just joking:)

Edit: Could someone point me to the models which are analog but also have a digital watch? I see them on the website, but its not quite sure to me if the display of an analog gshock is only for the stopwatch, etc. but also for the actual time.
    Last edited by Kulu; August 15th, 2013 at 14:31.

GA-110 show digital and analogue time...
    Kulu likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulu View Post
    Hey, thanks for the interesting answers. I assumed its a positive point to be in Japan for buying a Gshock. They are literally everywhere, of course in every watch shop but also in many other stores, even clothing stores:)
    So i see there is a GD-350 in black with negative display and a grey one with normal display. I also saw a watch marked as GD-350 in black, but normal display and golden aspects, which isnt on the g-shock.com website. The GW6900 mentioned by stockae also looks nice, its similar to the 350 when it comes to the look? It just looked smaller to me, but i dindt have both in the hands at the same time. The other two mentioned by stockae (GWM5610 and GW5000) arent on the website and i didnt find them when i looked in shibuya today. Many shops in japan dont state the exact model when the watch is displayed so i am having a hard time finding those.

But as i said thanks for those tips:)

Maybe some1 want me to send him a watch from here. Just joking:)

Edit: Could someone point me to the models which are analog but also have a digital watch? I see them on the website, but its not quite sure to me if the display of an analog gshock is only for the stopwatch, etc. but also for the actual time.
    For a starter, you can look at GA-100s & GA-110s, both analog/digital models. They are offered in many colors, take your time to do a search. Anyway, for the digital display of the analog/digital watch, you can switch between stopwatch, date, countdown, or purely display another time etc., just like a dual-time analog watch, except that now, you have one time in analog, one time in digital. It all depends on the functions of the watch itself.

Please do get a G-Shock in Japan! It's the haven for G-Shocks. In my line of work, I get to go Japan once in awhile, and I always enjoyed the wide variety of Gs available.

Have fun browsing!
    Kulu likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Have you ever seen a family tree? It's the same with g-shocks. You will start with one, that will lead to another three, those to another nine, and so on ....
    Level 1 - 1
    Level 2 - 3
    Level 3 - 9
    Level 4 - 27
    Level 5 - 81
    Level 6 - 246
    Level 7 - 729
    Level 10 - 19683
    Game Over.
    pritch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SheepOnDrugs View Post
    Level 1 - 1
    Level 2 - 3
    Level 3 - 9
    Level 4 - 27
    Level 5 - 81
    Level 6 - 246
    Level 7 - 729
    Level 10 - 19683
    Game Over.
    I'm at Level 4 now, oh sh....!!!
    55 watches. 30 Casios. Appalling bank balance!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information