First G Shock, Module Breakdown; What and Where??
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: First G Shock, Module Breakdown; What and Where??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First G Shock, Module Breakdown; What and Where??

Hey guys, I've been researching square G Shocks until my eyes water and I've finally used all my tissues....HELP! Albeit, I probably could pick any and be just fine; as you all know, it's never that easy when you have so many options. Looking hard at the DW/GW/GWM5600 and 5610----I know, wide range still. Granted I also know there are some exceptions like the 5030 and 5630, but have no idea if I'll be able to find them. In all honesty, I think I've over researched myself into oblivion. If you F17 guru's would be so kind as to steer a blind steed in the right direction, I'd be so so appreciative. I'm ready to join the club!!

Priority list is as follows:

1) Clarity of the LCD - seems like the 3229 module has the best reviews. Also looking good are the 2924, followed by 3159 modules.
    2) View current time in other modes
    3) Tough solar

So...my question is...what G has the clearest screen out of those that have "current time in other modes" and solar power? It looks like the modules that support current time viewing and solar are the 2597 and 3063. Am I missing any? Basically all of the models I've found with the best reviews for LCD clarity either aren't solar or don't have the current time viewing. Those of you with multiple G's that fit criteria 2&3, can you advise as to which has the better LCD? I'd really like to keep both criteria 2 and 3; and have a good LCD. I'm hoping that's not too much to ask. If I have to give up the solar in order to get a much more legible screen, I'm prepared to do that.

Also, googling just GW-5600 or GWM-5600 gives me all of like 2 options for purchasing. Do I just need to nail down the exact model number and search from there because it doesn't look like I'll be "browsing" for these? LOL Man, I had no idea these basic G Shocks were so popular until you try to find one. Looking for suggestions as it seems I've hit a dead end, especially on where to get some of these things. And yes...this is my first post, which is a thread. But not my first watch, or nice watch I'm looking to gain a new active watch to replace my Rip Curl Tidemaster thats 45x14 and weighs a ton. Can't wear the Tag on the motocross track, and my old Nixon Dolby Digital SS farted off long ago from a crash. Thanks guys, the forum is priceless!

Re: First G Shock, Module Breakdown; What and Where??

Looks like you've done your homework. You're correct about the tradeoff between going solar for loss in clarity and seeing current time in other modes. I'd rule out the G-5600 (2597) being easy to obtain, unless you're willing to hunt for one. They were discontinued rather promptly it seems. The GW-5600 is more well known here as the GW-5600J aka "TheG" as it states on the caseback. It's a slightly different size than the others and only displays day of week OR date ( a button cycles between them ), and the countdown timer maxes out at 60min.

So...my question is...what G has the clearest screen out of those that have "current time in other modes' and solar power

GWX-5600 might be the only one that does current time in all modes AND is solar. I don't own one so someone will have to confirm.
    That said, The screen is rather cluttered for my taste. The most clear screen is probably on the DW-5600P, GLX-5600, and DWD-5600P.

If I have to give up the solar in order to get a much more legible screen, I'm prepared to do that.

Do you need world-dual time?
    Do you need multiple alarms?
    Do you need to be able to mute the buttons?

If no is you answer to those questions get a DW-5600P since LCD clarity seems to be your #1 priority.
    If you do a little searching you can find one for $65 in the US.

Name:  dw-5600p-4jf_1.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  418.0 KB

I'm not an expert when it comes to squares, but....

Quote Originally Posted by clayteson View Post
    1) Clarity of the LCD - seems like the 3229 module has the best reviews. Also looking good are the 2924, followed by 3159 modules.
    2) View current time in other modes
    3) Tough solar

So...my question is...what G has the clearest screen out of those that have "current time in other modes" and solar power? It looks like the modules that support current time viewing and solar are the 2597 and 3063. Am I missing any? Basically all of the models I've found with the best reviews for LCD clarity either aren't solar or don't have the current time viewing. Those of you with multiple G's that fit criteria 2&3, can you advise as to which has the better LCD? I'd really like to keep both criteria 2 and 3; and have a good LCD. I'm hoping that's not too much to ask. If I have to give up the solar in order to get a much more legible screen, I'm prepared to do that.
    From everything I've read, you're going to have to pick one of those three. Casio seems to make a habit of never making "the perfect model" and around here the joke is "that's so we have to buy more than one."

Also, googling just GW-5600 or GWM-5600 gives me all of like 2 options for purchasing. Do I just need to nail down the exact model number and search from there because it doesn't look like I'll be "browsing" for these?
    Casio also makes their model numbers hard to distinguish, even though there is SOME logic to it. You might want to add pacparts.com to your list of informative websites, since their database of parts (and of models) can be pretty handy.

If you put "GW5600" into the model search [ Consumer Electronic Parts and Accessories at PacParts, Inc. ] you'll see that there are six versions of that watch -- the most famous around here is the basic GW-5600J. It was released in 2005, there aren't many of them still in warehouses, and they only received the US and Japanese radio signals. (They didn't call it "Multiband 2" but it preceded the Multiband 5 version.)

From the same model search, there are also six GW-M5600 models -- released in 2008, and those ARE the "Multiband 5" models. Since they were replaced by the "Multiband 6" GW-M5610 starting in 2010, there probably aren't a lot of the older "Multiband 5's" in warehouses or on websites either.

And to complicate matters when shopping, as has been noted around here several times, some sellers on Amazon and eBay (and maybe elsewhere) think that the older versions are somehow collectible and worth far more than the newer models! There was (still is?) a GW-5600J on Amazon for $1300. Most of us here doubt that anybody will ever pay that amount.

One last thing -- you mention "Tough Solar" above, then start asking about solar/ATOMIC models -- are you looking for "just" a solar model or one that's solar/atomic?
    Last edited by Mike K; January 5th, 2016 at 06:36.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks so much , that clarifies quite a bit. It looks as if I'll have to rule out the G5600 and GW5600 as they are basically extinct unless you're willing to give an arm or search until kingdom come. I'm just looking for a decent everyday watch haha. I've got small wrists and want something small to fit under tight cuffs when hunting in cold weather etc, and it's a little discouraging that all the newer G's are fairly huge. I went ahead and bought a DW5600E off amazon since it's $40 and I kept coming back to it as it basically does everything I asked. I'd like a GW or GWM for the larger digits, but got antsy. Still...my search isn't over. I'll buy another soon, and that's how it all starts! I've found the GWS-5600 around the bay, but don't really understand why it has the 3159 and not a 2924 or 3063. Any opinions on the GWS? Seems like that is readily available for somewhat reasonable prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post

One last thing -- you mention "Tough Solar" above, then start asking about solar/ATOMIC models -- are you looking for "just" a solar model or one that's solar/atomic?
    Right, so I'm not sure if "Tough Solar" actually denotes solar and atomic, or just solar? I don't really need atomic, so just solar would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Chempop View Post

GWX-5600 might be the only one that does current time in all modes AND is solar. I don't own one so someone will have to confirm.
    That said, The screen is rather cluttered for my taste. The most clear screen is probably on the DW-5600P, GLX-5600, and DWD-5600P.

Do you need world-dual time?
    Do you need multiple alarms?
    Do you need to be able to mute the buttons?

If no is you answer to those questions get a DW-5600P since LCD clarity seems to be your #1 priority.
    Yea not really into the GWX either. Although I do surf my Rip Curl has both moon and tides, so need for another. I don't need world-dual, or multiple alarms, but would like mute. Need to dig a little more to see what supports that. I really like the DW-5600P and DWD-5600P, but I'm not a fan of the protection bar. Can the bars be removed easily, and do they leave marks when removed? Hate that none of the DW/DWD models have a black case with non-inverted screen. I do like that black/gold DW5600P, but was worried about clarity with the invert.

Thanks again guys, I'm still on the search and look to get something with bigger digits and few more features than the DW5600E.

Let me just make this one easier for you.
    DLC screwback and the soft straps, this is the ultimate premium basic G.
    Name:  11078_632_9eb747f183dc2be1a43f59e16fe22b6f_zps068545a8.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  90.2 KB
    G-Shock GW-5000-1AJF
    G-Shock DW-5000-1JF
    G-Shock GW-5000B-1JR
    Omega Seamaster Professional 2254.50
    Omega Seamaster Professional 2254.50 (well you know, for backup)
    Rolex Osyter Perpetual 116000 Silver.

I'd like a GW or GWM for the larger digits, but got antsy.
    As I said in one of the recent threads about large displays, discussing "biggest digits on a 'square' is like 'the world's tallest midget.'" Since the GW-5600J is out of production, the difference in digit size between any other squares is probably a millimeter or less.

I've found the GWS-5600 around the bay, but don't really understand why it has the 3159 and not a 2924 or 3063. Any opinions on the GWS? Seems like that is readily available for somewhat reasonable prices.
    The 3159 module is the newest version with Multiband 6 reception. The 3063 is the older one with Multiband 5, the 2924 is the oldest one with "Multiband 2."

When they decided to make the upscale GWS-5600 with the carbon fiber strap, they used the most current module.

Since the GWS-5600 and the GW-M5610 use the same module, they're essentially the same watch but you'll end up paying more money for the one with the carbon fiber strap.

Right, so I'm not sure if "Tough Solar" actually denotes solar and atomic, or just solar? I don't really need atomic, so just solar would be fine.
    "Tough Solar" means that the watch has solar panels and a rechargeable battery, so it covers "just" solar models AND solar/atomics.

If you don't need atomic, try looking at the G5600E.

I really like the DW-5600P and DWD-5600P, but I'm not a fan of the protection bar. Can the bars be removed easily, and do they leave marks when removed? Hate that none of the DW/DWD models have a black case with non-inverted screen. I do like that black/gold DW5600P, but was worried about clarity with the invert.
    Never had one with "bullbars" but they apparently come off pretty easily -- but many people DO report marks or indentations in the bezel after they're removed. It's soft-ish resin, the metal bullbars have been pressing into it since it left the factory, so it might leave dents. The good news there is that if it bothers you that much, bezels are easily replaced with just a screwdriver and the watch doesn't have to be opened -- it's probably the easiest piece to change on a G-Shock.

The clarity with inverted displays isn't the biggest problem -- the CONTRAST is the big problem when it comes to legibility. "Black on a light gray screen" is easy to read, and "bright white on a black screen" wouldn't be too bad -- except MOST Casios can only get a "dingy gray on black" or in the case of the DW5600P, "yellowish gold on black." There are PLENTY of threads discussing "negative legibility" on G's, and everybody pretty much agrees that positive displays are easier to read, ESPECIALLY indoors.

Thanks again guys, I'm still on the search and look to get something with bigger digits and few more features than the DW5600E.
    Again, if you want bigger digits than a DW-5600E, you're probably going to have to look beyond squares. Look at these three pictures and compare the displays: https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...AaYQMwgoKAwwDA

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...AaYQMwg4KBQwFA

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...AaYQMwhaKDYwNg

It's like trying to pick the largest penny in a jar of pennies. (Some of the oldest ones are several microns smaller, from friction and wear and bouncing around in pockets for 60 years, but you can't really tell with the naked eye!)

Bigger digits generally come in larger cases:

Name:  paw 1100 v mtg 900 v gw 5600j.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  520.6 KB

That's the largest display "classic" square (GW-5600J) compared to two others, and there are a lot of other "legible G's" in this thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/wha...k-2705441.html While there are squares mentioned in that thread, that thread is about "most legible" and not "biggest display."

Understood. Yea I imagine I'm splitting hairs when it comes to discussing largest digits on a square face, especially for someone who hasn't owned one in 20 years. I do love the GW5000J and the softer band/resin appeals to me as well. We'll see how long the DW5600E works, since some people have reported lights not working and digits disappearing within a couple weeks of use. I may result to the 5600P and see how the negative display works out.

It seems like 5610's aren't really in the discussion around here? Any reason why? Obviously they're more readily available than the 5600's, is it just the "classicness" of the older models that are more attractive?

Understood. Yea I imagine I'm splitting hairs when it comes to discussing largest digits on a square face, especially for someone who hasn't owned one in 20 years. I do love the GW5000J and the softer band/resin appeals to me as well.
    I think you're suffering from the classic case of "too many models and too much reading of too many threads all blurring together." The top-of-the-line, steel-cased screwback GW-5000 has no "J" suffix. The obsolete, Multiband 2 model (with the largest digits of any square) is the GW-5600J.

We'll see how long the DW5600E works, since some people have reported lights not working and digits disappearing within a couple weeks of use. I may result to the 5600P and see how the negative display works out.
    I've never seen anybody reporting problems with the light of the DW-5600E -- that's the basic, lowest priced workhorse of the Casio lineup. On some 5610's there have been problems with the AUTO EL -- that's the "light comes on when you flick your wrist" feature -- but the light itself works just fine. From the mega-thread about that model and the "auto" light switch, the defective ones seem to be mostly off warehouse shelves now: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/two...el-964767.html

It seems like 5610's aren't really in the discussion around here? Any reason why? Obviously they're more readily available than the 5600's, is it just the "classicness" of the older models that are more attractive?
    5610's are definitely in the discussion around here: https://www.google.com/search?q=site...m/f17+gw+m5610

The "problem" is that they're not as sexy/expensive/collectible as the GW-5000, so they don't have a new thread started every single time someone buys one! The GW-M5610 is a low-key, high-tech watch with all the same features for about one-third of the price, but it's kind of like a Sears Craftsman claw hammer: it does what it's supposed to do, and it's better than the most basic claw hammer from Big Lots, but people don't write odes to Craftsman hammers across the internet because it's just a hammer. The internet gets more excited about high end hammers with magnetic heads and shock absorbers and expensive watches that look -- to the rest of the world -- just like the $40 one at Walmart but costs eight times as much.
    clayteson likes this.

To further confuse.. errr comment on the DW-5600P, removing the bullbars left no sign of damage on my resin, not that it mattered because I replaced it with the super nice black GW-5000 band and bezel which I ordered from pacparts for about +$23 extra. One other note is that the yellow model actually sports a white resin case (under the bezel) which is slightly viewable from the sides and rear, the red version has the black case though.

Looks like this after the bezel swap, almost identical to the 5600E besides "illuminator" and "water 20bar resist" reversed, plus having the slightly cleaner LCD.

Anyway, I hope you are very happy with the DW-5600E. The only gripes I preach about with these 3229 module watched is that the adjust button is recessed too deep and the buttons can't be muted. Technically you can replace that shorter button with a longer one, but it would require taking the watch apart. Only having 1 alarm and lacking world/dual time usually doesn't bother me.

clayteson and domoon like this.

I think you're suffering from the classic case of "too many models and too much reading of too many threads all blurring together." The top-of-the-line, steel-cased screwback GW-5000 has no "J" suffix. The obsolete, Multiband 2 model (with the largest digits of any square) is the GW-5600J.
    Yep, absolutely...and I have no idea what I'm talking about Thanks for clarifying. So I'll mark BOTH of those off my list.

I've never seen anybody reporting problems with the light of the DW-5600E -- that's the basic, lowest priced workhorse of the Casio lineup.
    I found a couple examples in my blind stabbing around the intranetz...one of which was on the reviews here...although I can't put a link because my "post count must be greater".

The "problem" is that they're not as sexy/expensive/collectible as the GW-5000, so they don't have a new thread started every single time someone buys one! The GW-M5610 is a low-key, high-tech watch with all the same features for about one-third of the price, but it's kind of like a Sears Craftsman claw hammer: it does what it's supposed to do, and it's better than the most basic claw hammer from Big Lots, but people don't write odes to Craftsman hammers across the internet because it's just a hammer.
    Haha great analogy. In my case, I'll just take the hammer at this point...and maybe a shiny solar/atomic one to match just in case But really though, those hammers are kind of hilarious, and some sexy. Except the Craftsman "auto-junk", holy cow, what's the world coming to.

Quote Originally Posted by Chempop View Post
    To further confuse.. errr comment on the DW-5600P, removing the bullbars left no sign of damage on my resin, not that it mattered because I replaced it with the super nice black GW-5000 band and bezel which I ordered from pacparts for about +$23 extra. One other note is that the yellow model actually sports a white resin case (under the bezel) which is slightly viewable from the sides and rear, the red version has the black case though.

Anyway, I hope you are very happy with the DW-5600E. The only gripes I preach about with these 3229 module watched is that the adjust button is recessed too deep and the buttons can't be muted. Technically you can replace that shorter button with a longer one, but it would require taking the watch apart. Only having 1 alarm and lacking world/dual time usually doesn't bother me.
    Thanks great info. I'm rethinking the 5600P as it doesn't have any (useful to me) features that would supplement the DW5600E. I'm thinking if I supplement, I'll def look for solar/atomic and button muting. Are there any specific models that are known to have more accessible buttons? How about 5610's?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information