First post and advice requested re G-511D strap

Thread: First post and advice requested re G-511D strap

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First post and advice requested re G-511D strap

Hi all

I'm new here! I've been slowly renewing my interest in horology recently: I've previously owned a Tag, an Omega and a Breitling but circumstances change and I'm renewing my interest on a budget. Hence, I've recently bought a Seiko (the ubiquitous SKX007), a Citizen and a couple of Orients.

However, this post is about my trusty old G-Shock! I've had a G-511D for a number of years now (it also has sentimental value as it was bought by my late mother) and I'd like to start using it again. My thoughts/hopes are to find some form of adapter to use a NATO on it and keep it as my "zombie apocalypse" (or, more accurately, doing rubbish tip runs etc) watch, as it's already a bit of a beater.

PAW-1500 convertors, Tools & Watch Accessories - Tiktox

This looks like it might do the job, but as there are no sizes given, I can't be sure. Has anyone any experience of this model, any knowledge on the strap, or even what other models use a similar fitting?

Thanks!
    James

Re: First post and advice requested re G-511D strap

Here's what should be a great thread on the G-511, but it seems that OCDood's pictures have vanished from Photobucket. (They're not showing up for me for some reason.)

I don't know exactly how the adapters on the ends of the factory G-511D bracelet fit into the watch case, but if they're anything like the similar adapters on the MTG-900 and bracelet, they're completely proprietary and model-specific.

The "usual" 16mm Zulu-type strap adapters won't fit a MTG-900 or any of the GW-500 versions that share the same watch case, so I'm GUESSING (without pictures) that they're not going to fit the G-511 either.

You might be better off just getting the stock resin strap from the G-511 or G-501 models instead? $13.46 plus $4.95 shipping from PacParts: PacParts: 91087876389

Thanks for the reply, Mike!

Yeah, I do think that thread would be more useful with OCDood's pictures. (although thank you for pointing me in the right direction - I found more when searching for G-511 rather than G-511D)

The "cover/end pieces" that are referred to in that thread are - I assume - the grey resin pieces that the bracelet strap was attached to? I've removed the bracelet with no issue but I can't for the life of me see how these end pieces are removed. I may have more idea of what can be done if I could get those off, in order to see what's behind them!

Do you happen to know?

I may end up just getting a stock resin strap if I can't find or fabricate an adapter, but I think those need to be removed eaither way.

Thanks again
    J

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jamesy1969 View Post
    The "cover/end pieces" that are referred to in that thread are - I assume - the grey resin pieces that the bracelet strap was attached to? I've removed the bracelet with no issue but I can't for the life of me see how these end pieces are removed. I may have more idea of what can be done if I could get those off, in order to see what's behind them!

Do you happen to know?
    I'm 99.99% sure that those "cover/end pieces" are attached as in this thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/changing-battery-g-shock-4762-a-801528.html#post5848030

If I'm right, Casio's "two screws, two posts" system is a very solid attachment system, and a lot stronger than a typical springbar, but it can be difficult to take apart, even for jewelers with the correct tools!

Nope, it's not like that Mike.

I've removed as many visible screws as possible... (pardon the muck)

Name:  20140123_203820[1].jpg
Views: 215
Size:  267.3 KB

This is as far as I've got so far. The pins (circled one) look like they should perhaps release the end pieces, but don't seem to?

I tried prying one part out but have torn it a bit instead

Ouch -- in that case, I'll concede defeat and defer to someone who HAS worked on this particular model, and hopefully one will see this thread tonight! (If not, you might want to "private message" OCDood with a link to this thread. )

That "two screws, two threaded posts" system is JUST uncommon enough with G-Shocks that I thought it might be the same on this one.

Thanks for your time anyway Mike!

Unfortunately, I've also had an email from Keith at tiktox (the company with the adapter in my link in the first post) and no adapter exists for the 511D, so I may just give up.

Perhaps I should put the bracelet back on and keep it in the cupboard with my old Citizen that I got as a school prize when I was 12 (a few years ago now!). It's perhaps a shame not to use it but at least the sentimental value would be preserved.

Oh, is this an excuse to buy another G-Shock? Now, which models can be modded to take a NATO that look similar (ish) to the 511?????

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Here's what should be a great thread on the G-511, but it seems that OCDood's pictures have vanished from Photobucket. (They're not showing up for me for some reason.)
    Edit: See below.
    Last edited by OCDood; January 24th, 2014 at 04:28.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesy1969 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Mike!

Yeah, I do think that thread would be more useful with OCDood's pictures. (although thank you for pointing me in the right direction - I found more when searching for G-511 rather than G-511D)

Do you happen to know?

I may end up just getting a stock resin strap if I can't find or fabricate an adapter, but I think those need to be removed eaither way.

Thanks again
    J
    Sorry, I didn't see the whole thread before I posted my pix and that my instructions are so disjointed. It's the end of the day and my caffeine boost has worn off....

The silver metal covers for the end pieces have a tab on the top side and fits up under the module and down over the plastic end pieces. There is a large springbar that fits through the end pieces and the module and holds the cover in place, it looks like you need to push the ends of the springbar in you have circled with a paperclip to release it and pull up on the silver metal cover.

The large springbar goes through holes in the module, you won't be able to remove them or the end pieces till you lift the metal cover. I didn't remove any screws installing my bracelet.

Once you get everything apart and remove the springbars, just pull the end pieces down and away from the module to remove them.
    Last edited by OCDood; January 24th, 2014 at 03:27.

Thanks OCDood!

However, even that doesn't look the same! I don't know how much difference the "D" part of the watch code makes, but it seems to be different to everything I've found.

Anyway, I've now made up my mind that I'm going to keep it as is for now, and seek out a cheap (probably used) G to convert to NATO/Zulu use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information