First post: What G-Shock (or ProTrek?) do I want?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: First post: What G-Shock (or ProTrek?) do I want?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First post: What G-Shock (or ProTrek?) do I want?

Hey guys,

Though I joined about a year ago to buy some used watches, this is my first post. While I have been interested in and have owned watches most of my life (including a handful of original G-Shocks as a teenager - I loved the bull bars), finances finally allowed me to give in to the addiction starting about 5 years ago with a titanium Tissot T-Touch. Unlike a lot of other folks, mine has been dead reliable and comfortable. Eventually, I got a couple Citizens, then some Seikos, and a Lum-Tec.

Then last summer while at a local department store I saw a beautiful G-Shock - the 6900. It had it all. It was solar, atomic, waterproof, shockproof - all of those things the new automatics (and even the Tissot) weren't. So I bought it. I never wear it. It is simply too big for my wrist. Of course I should have noticed the strap gaps at the time. Maybe I did but just wanted the damn thing so badly that I ignored it.

Two nights ago I was at a local department store and they had the GR-7900KG in army green. It was beautiful. It actually fit pretty well too thanks to the wings under the straps. I bought it. It is closer to what I want, but still not quite right. As great as the reverse display looks, it is impossible to read in anything but direct lighting. The size is borderline too big, but acceptable. I also think I simply prefer an analog watch for at-a-glance readability.

I love the look of the some of the analog ProTreks and Aviation Gs, but they all look huge. Are they? I find the online measurements are a little more challenging with these watches.

Ultimately what I want is a G or ProTrek that fits my normal (6.75") wrist with no gaps. Analog. Reverse display is Ok only on an analog. There aren't any special features like ABC stuff that are deal breakers, although I do like gadgets. Bracelet or non-resin strap is preferred, but again, not a deal breaker.

So, what watch do I want?

Finally, I really appreciate having a great place like this to come to so that I can get my fix and become educated at the same time. The great community of folks here is a nice bonus .

Thanks,
    Matt

Re: First post: What G-Shock (or ProTrek?) do I want?

gw-9330a

if size is too much of a concern, I suggest a baby g, plenty of models for you to choose.

as a second choice, a DW-5600E would suit just fine.

as a third option, G7510 is absolutely outstanding if you can find it.

also, look into the EDIFICE line now and thank me later.

PS: not that I want to turn you off of protrek but their size is not for you. ttry THIS, relatively smaller and way way cheaper

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

While I really like the features and the looks of the gw9300, most of the pictures I've seen make it look like it hangs out a lot on wrists sized like mine. Does it wear differently in real life?

I've checked out the baby-Gs, and didn't see anything that jumped out. I assumed they were for women?

I do like the DW-5600. It reminds me of some of my Gs from long ago.

As far as the edifice, I really liked them, but two guys I work with (in a manufacturing plant) have them and they haven't held up that well - mostly terribly beaten up coatings and crystals. That's why I think I want something a little more durable.

That stinks about the ProTreks being so big, I'm smitten with the 5100.
    Last edited by matsho; September 21st, 2012 at 05:07. Reason: typing dumbness

I'd suggest the Riseman GW-9200. It's not too big, but still has good wrist presence. It's also pretty feature packed for the price, good value.

Oh man, the Riseman is nice. I also found the GW2500. Any thoughts on that?

GW-2500 is IMO still one of the best ana-digi G-Shocks but the new AWG-M100 has also great features. Both are not very big and should suit your wrist just fine.

Cheers, Sedi

If the 6900 is too big in your eyes, I'm with Machado on one of the squares. Another one to consider is the Gulfman, very nice and wears smaller than a 6900 and a little bigger than the squares (5000/5600/5610).
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Quote Originally Posted by matsho View Post
    Hey guys,

Though I joined about a year ago to buy some used watches, this is my first post. While I have been interested in and have owned watches most of my life (including a handful of original G-Shocks as a teenager - I loved the bull bars), finances finally allowed me to give in to the addiction starting about 5 years ago with a titanium Tissot T-Touch. Unlike a lot of other folks, mine has been dead reliable and comfortable. Eventually, I got a couple Citizens, then some Seikos, and a Lum-Tec.

Then last summer while at a local department store I saw a beautiful G-Shock - the 6900. It had it all. It was solar, atomic, waterproof, shockproof - all of those things the new automatics (and even the Tissot) weren't. So I bought it. I never wear it. It is simply too big for my wrist. Of course I should have noticed the strap gaps at the time. Maybe I did but just wanted the damn thing so badly that I ignored it.

Two nights ago I was at a local department store and they had the GR-7900KG in army green. It was beautiful. It actually fit pretty well too thanks to the wings under the straps. I bought it. It is closer to what I want, but still not quite right. As great as the reverse display looks, it is impossible to read in anything but direct lighting. The size is borderline too big, but acceptable. I also think I simply prefer an analog watch for at-a-glance readability.

I love the look of the some of the analog ProTreks and Aviation Gs, but they all look huge. Are they? I find the online measurements are a little more challenging with these watches.

Ultimately what I want is a G or ProTrek that fits my normal (6.75") wrist with no gaps. Analog. Reverse display is Ok only on an analog. There aren't any special features like ABC stuff that are deal breakers, although I do like gadgets. Bracelet or non-resin strap is preferred, but again, not a deal breaker.

So, what watch do I want?

Finally, I really appreciate having a great place like this to come to so that I can get my fix and become educated at the same time. The great community of folks here is a nice bonus .

Thanks,
    Matt
    Are you sure the 6900 where to big on you? The 6900 as well as some other G's have been purposely designed to have a gap between the wrist and the lug of the watch. This is to make it more comfortable and to give it a bulkier impression seen from the side. But also to increase the impact zone when hitting the watch, so it is part of the G-Shock concept. Its a style marker. I have a 7.1" wrist which is considered an average male wrist and I also have a gap when wearing it:

It is supposed to be like that. When a watch becomes to big is when it hangs like a bangle, basically when the lugs of the watch extends the width of your wrist. Only women can get away with watches that "hangs over" like that. But if you look at the picture above then you can see despite the gap the lugs are not wider then my wrist hence it is not to big.

As for a solar atomic analog or ana/digi that is not to big. How about the MTG-1500B: MTG-1500B-1A1JF - G-SHOCK - 時計 - 個人向け製品 - CASIO
    MTG-1500B-1A5JF - G-SHOCK - 時計 - 個人向け製品 - CASIO

But those are rather exclusive and will run you down $600-$800. Those only have lug widths of 47mm which is 6mm less then a 6900. As for ProTreks/Pathfinders then they are all big. But there is some like the PRW/PAW-1500 that is all round where the strap is connected directly to the case (no lugs). If we combine that factor and choose one with a metal strap that will hug your wrist better then resin will. Then you might get away with wearing it despite having a 50mm(2") diameter.
    Last edited by Joakim Agren; September 21st, 2012 at 12:34.
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

LUW

If size is in issue, think about the Riseman and the Gulfman.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information