First Time G-Shock Owner - GS-1000J-1AJF

Thread: First Time G-Shock Owner - GS-1000J-1AJF

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First Time G-Shock Owner - GS-1000J-1AJF

Well guys, I have to admit I haven't been lurking on the forums as much as I used to. I used to poke around in Rolex and Omega on here and TZ.

However I wanted to proudly announce that I recently purchased a GS-1000J-1AJF the other day from Seiya. I must say it is probably the best looking Casio I have ever seen. I wasn't planning on buying a Casio, because I was one of those guys who used to think that they can't match up to a Seamaster or Rolex. I used to also think that they have no beauty. I thought I was going to end up with a G-Shock as a beater - but I was wrong!!

The G addiction bit me hard... I saw the look of the GIEZ line and I was hooked. I was all over these watches fanatically researching them like I did with my automatics in the past. I am very exited to have a G-shock in my watch family. It looks like it will be worn alot more than I initially expected.

My courier package just cleared customs and I expect to have the delivery tomorrow. I will post my initial comments shortly thereafter.

Thanks to all of you who provide so much insight and information. I know this watch will fit right in with my other automatics. I can't wait to open the package and confuse myself trying to set the home time and sub-dials!

BTW, the wife and I are off to Cancun for a vacation in a couple of weeks. I was researching G-shocks which can take a little bit of water. Can I wear my GIEZ in the ocean and go shallow diving?

Re: First Time G-Shock Owner - GS-1000J-1AJF

Welcome to G-World SardarJi...nice choice on the Giez. I'm hoping to get one, one of these days, so your comments will be appreciated. It has the same movt as my dad's Casio Exec, and I set that without too much trouble. Once you get used to setting without a crown it's pretty easy. Also, once it's set, you probably won't have to do anything more to it. Very low maintenance watch with a surprisingly accurate movt (2-3 secs/month).

The 200m Giez will be fine for any water sports. I imagine it would be safe for scuba, although not really intended as a diver.

It's atomic, so if you're in an area that syncs, you won't have to set it at all.

I have the all black GS-1000BJ-1AJF, and like it a lot.

I'd download and check out the 4343 manual too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jaws revenge View Post
    It's atomic, so if you're in an area that syncs, you won't have to set it at all.

I have the all black GS-1000BJ-1AJF, and like it a lot.

I'd download and check out the 4343 manual too.

Thanks for the comments guys. Yea, I too have already downloaded the manual for the 4343 and studied up a bit. It looks likes its going to be a real treat to use.

Anyone else have any comments on the water resistance of this thing? I dont want to have to worry about the glass fogging over just because I went in to a pool or shallow diving with it. Afterall, I bought it just to take with me to Cancun (well that's what I told the wife).
    Los Angeles, CA
    16200 Rolex Datejust 'F' series
    2531.80 Omega Seamaster "Bond" Automatic
    Hamilton "Jazzmaster" Viewmatic Automatic
    Titan "Edge" Slim - Ltd. Edition from India
    Casio GIEZ GS-1000J-1AJF - New as of 9/07
    1956 Omega Constellation - All Original, 85%
    1959 Omega Seamaster - All Original, 95%
    1951 Mido Multifort - All Original

Quote Originally Posted by SardarJi View Post
    Anyone else have any comments on the water resistance of this thing? I dont want to have to worry about the glass fogging over just because I went in to a pool or shallow diving with it. Afterall, I bought it just to take with me to Cancun (well that's what I told the wife).
    Not a problem. The manual that comes with the watch will give details that are mysteriously absent from the downloadable version.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

This is a G shock and is good for 200 meters. Will be fine for all swimming, snorkeling and normal diving. Can't imagine you are going down to 100+ meters.

Mitch

I don't think you should worry about it SardarJi. It's a 200m G-Shock...it'll be fine. If you're really bothered, just buy a cheap plastic G, and keep the Giez out of harms way. I'd guess the Giez would have even better sealing than the non-Japanese made G's.

You could also take the advice of an experienced jeweler I knew...doesn't matter if it's a dive watch rated to 500m, don't expose it to steam, showers/bathrooms, or hot water. The rapid expanding and contracting that can cause wears the seals out faster than what the water sealing is really meant for...constant, moderate temp water bodies like the ocean or pools etc.

You could have it pressure tested for peace of mind, though this shouldn't be necessary with a new G-Shock.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

Hey guys,
    Thanks for your comments. I feel much much better about the 200m rating. I know not to take my watches in to steam or hot tubs etc...

I can't wait for my package today!!
    Los Angeles, CA

Hey everyone, thought I would give my initial impressions of the watch and the overall order...
    Here they are:

1. Whoa - 5 days from Japan to my doorstep. Plus, the package came in such wonderful condition. It would be hard to to tell it was shipped at all through a courier, let alone from half way around the world. The outer carton itself looked brand new as if someone hand-delivered the thing to me.
    2. At the intial opening, I was impressed that a G-shock came in a nice presentable box with pillow. Very nice touch on a mid-level sports watch.
    3. The watch has a very nice feel/heft to it. It feels so much more expensive than you would imagine it to be. The all metal casing is a great plus.
    4. Fantastic fit and finish for the price.
    5. A pain to get started with... I have set my home city correctly (LAX) and still cant get the atomic signal to work at all. I have tried it numerous times from various locations, even 25 miles away from each other (work/home). No luck.
    6. Its true that the lume is a little on the weak side, but I don't mind. I didn't get it for the lume. If I need something to glow, I can wear my Seamaster for that occasion.
    7. Watching the hands dance on the dial is mesmerizing. I find myself poking at buttons just to watch the hands move.
    8. Fantastic rubber band on this thing. However it seems a bit on the thin side, so I am not sure of the durability. I almost want to order a spare just in case, but then again both my other daily watches are on bracelets. Maybe I am under-estimating the rubber.
    9. This watch looks just as good in person as it did on the website photo shoots. Very good looking.
    10. Did I mention that I can't get it to grab the atomic signal?

So far, I am very pleased with it. I will be even happier when the indicator hand will point to Y one of these days when I check the signal grab.
    Los Angeles, CA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information