Fixin' to buy a G-Shock but need some help choosing!

Thread: Fixin' to buy a G-Shock but need some help choosing!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fixin' to buy a G-Shock but need some help choosing!

Hello guys,

I am relatively new here at watchuseek. I am very grateful for all of you that are here to help noobs like me . So here I am again, a lowly padawan looking for some sage advice from the jedi masters of watches. I have 2 models in mind the 6900 series and the 5600 series. My purpose in buying a digital is to use as a beater for when I lift weights and as a second alarm (I tend to oversleep and miss class).

Anyways, I love the look of the 6900, but I am afraid to buy it because I only have a 6" wrist and it might be uncomfortable and too large for my tiny wrist. The biggest watch I have atm is my seiko BFK and that is around 45mm i think. A wrist-shot on a smaller wrist may change my mind though!

I do like the square case of the 5600 and it seems like my wrist could pull that off, but I don't know if I like it more than the 6900.

So here are the watches I am looking at

DW6900-1V

GLX5600-7

DW5600E-1V

I am also considering solar models, but are they worth the higher prices?
    Also, where do you guys buy your g-shocks from? I've been mainly looking at the ones in Amazon but their selection seems limited.

May the force be with you!
    "One of my life goals was to die right here in this desk chair. And today that dream was shattered."
    - Dwight Schrute

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Re: Fixin' to buy a G-Shock but need some help choosing!

I dont think that there is any problem wearing any of these Gs on a 6" wrist.

So you can choose the one you like the most.
    regarding toughness:
    The only weaker point of the 5600s compared to the 6900 is the less recessed crystal.
    Shock resistance is the same.

If you need futher reading about pro and con solar:
    Read the zillion of controversal threads about this topic.
    But try to keep this thread clean from this topic.

I ordered several watches via Amazon Germany, Ebay and overseas (US, Japan) without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by d2mac View Post
    I dont think that there is any problem wearing any of these Gs on a 6" wrist.

So you can choose the one you like the most.
    regarding toughness:
    The only weaker point of the 5600s compared to the 6900 is the less recessed crystal.
    Shock resistance is the same.

If you need futher reading about pro and con solar:
    Read the zillion of controversal threads about this topic.
    But try to keep this thread clean from this topic.

I ordered several watches via Amazon Germany, Ebay and overseas (US, Japan) without any problems.
    Thanks!
    "One of my life goals was to die right here in this desk chair. And today that dream was shattered."
    - Dwight Schrute

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

On the size question - metal watches wear bigger than plastic watches. If you can wear a BFK, I think you can wear most G-Shocks, including the 6900. Some of the new 'super-sized' models might be stretching it a bit though.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Any one of these would be great.

For smaller wrist sizes I would suggest a square. I'd recommend the dw5600e - every G enthusiast should have this one!
    Ghobbit

Thanks for all of the comments so far. I've been looking more at watches and I am leaning towards the GW/DW-5600 series or GLX5600 series. I hear that the glossy finish of the the glx series has better stain resistance compared to the matte finished g-shocks. If I were to get one of the lighter color g-shocks in a matte finish would they easily be stained from sweat, clothing, etc... when I work out?
    - Dwight Schrute

I haven't measured my wrists but they are pretty thin. Because of that I stuck to the 5600 series, Recently I gave in and bought a 6900 and I have to admit I'm liking it better than most of my 5600s and it doesn't feel too big at all. I actually am liking the additional heft of it. But you really can't go wrong with either. I have both a GLX5600 and now a GLX6900 and I love them both. My GLX5600 has stood up really well. It still looks new and I've worn it to the beach numerous times. My GLX6900 is brand new so I can't speak for it yet but it feels extremely sturdy.

Quote Originally Posted by wmt029 View Post
    I haven't measured my wrists but they are pretty thin. Because of that I stuck to the 5600 series, Recently I gave in and bought a 6900 and I have to admit I'm liking it better than most of my 5600s and it doesn't feel too big at all. I actually am liking the additional heft of it. But you really can't go wrong with either. I have both a GLX5600 and now a GLX6900 and I love them both. My GLX5600 has stood up really well. It still looks new and I've worn it to the beach numerous times. My GLX6900 is brand new so I can't speak for it yet but it feels extremely sturdy.
    Sweet! What color GLX5600 did you get?
    - Dwight Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by yhoopeyk View Post
    Sweet! What color GLX5600 did you get?
    I have the green model - I love it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you're interested here is the GLX6900 for comparison:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information