Fixing sticky button (GW-5000)
Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By idkfa
  • 2 Post By sodamonkey
  • 1 Post By gaijin
  • 1 Post By gaijin

Thread: Fixing sticky button (GW-5000)

Fixing sticky button (GW-5000)

I noticed that the light button on my GW-5000 was sticking a bit which was making it hard to consistently get it to activate. I know the GW-5000 is widely thought to have hard to press buttons but this was unusually difficult. I figured it was probably dirt or grime as I wear the GW-5000 frequently, including at the gym and in the shower.

So I removed the bezel and had a look. Once the bezel was off I could clearly see that the button was sticking; it would not readily return to the rest position. I started by using a soft toothbrush around the button to try to clean any dirt or debris away from the crevice. This helped a bit. I then put a drop of air tool oil on the button and let it sit for a while. Once it "soaked in" I started pressing the button repeatedly (a couple hundred times) and then spun the button back and forth for 10-15 minutes. Success! It completely cleared up the sticking issue.

I repeated this with the other buttons and had similar results. I am not claiming that this is a fix for the stiff buttons, but I think lubricating and wearing-in the seals would logically help button movement if it is starting to degrade.

My ideal method would be to remove the buttons from the inside and clean/lubricate them directly, and I have done this on other watches, but I don't want to open my GW-5000 unless I absolutely have to (no need for trimming or battery changes, at least not in the foreseeable future).

Re: Fixing sticky button (GW-5000)

I've done the same on old watches I've picked up that have had stuck buttons, I don't have any tool oil, but have found a small dab of silicone oil applied with the point of my tweezers works well.
    idkfa and GaryK30 like this.
    A watch is for life, not just for the WRUW thread!

That "tool oil", if petroleum based, will most likely destroy the seals on your buttons. Silicone oil would have been a much wiser choice ...
    Mike K likes this.
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    That "tool oil", if petroleum based, will most likely destroy the seals on your buttons. Silicone oil would have been a much wiser choice ...
    I don't think that is the case. I believe these o-rings are made of Buna-N, which is incredibly resistant to petroleum lubricants.

Buna-N ...

idkfa likes this.
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

I would be more concerned about where the "dirt" went to. With a petroleum based oil, chances are that the dirt has worked its way along the button shaft & into the watch case. The only way to really clean these up properly is to remove the buttons, clean the holes, re-lube the gaskets with silicon & re-install the button. Definitely more work, but worth it in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowback View Post
    I would be more concerned about where the "dirt" went to. With a petroleum based oil, chances are that the dirt has worked its way along the button shaft & into the watch case. The only way to really clean these up properly is to remove the buttons, clean the holes, re-lube the gaskets with silicon & re-install the button. Definitely more work, but worth it in the end.
    It is entirely possible, though I am not really concerned. I blew out as much dirt as I could before starting with the toothbrush. In either case, it helped fix the sticky button, at least for another few years. I will eventually open the case, but not any time soon.
    Last edited by idkfa; March 3rd, 2016 at 04:46.

Thread Information