Flea Market Jackpot - Vintage DW-5600C!!!

Thread: Flea Market Jackpot - Vintage DW-5600C!!!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Flea Market Jackpot - Vintage DW-5600C!!!

Went to the local flea market (Sungei Road Thieves Market here in Singapore) and was just browsing around when I found this beauty under a heap of old, discarded dirty watches. It was sunny, and what caught my attention was the caseback glittering in the sun. At first I thought it was a DW-5700 but on closer inspection, it was actually a rare DW-5600C, module 691, fitted with a 5700 bezel.

OMG, me heart nearly popped when the old stall keeper asked for SG$35 (USD$24) bucks. I payed and didn't even bother to bargain. The watch was dirty and grimmy but everything worked, still I went to a watch shop and had the battery changed and the watch checked. The guy in the watch shop said it was in great condition, except for scratches on the caseback and minor scuff marks on the face. Anyway, I brought it home and cleaned it up, and luckily, I had an extra set of band and bezel for an original 5600C which I bought off the bay some time ago.

Enough of my blabbering, here are some pictures of his fantastic vintage and it's journey of re-birth.

1. The 5600 fitted with a 5700 band and bezel. Strange, huh??? The bezel was already rotting and had a deep crack as you can see.

2. Cool. One of the earlier 5600s with the 691 module that took the larger battery. Caseback is a beautiful smooth finish except for over 20 years of scratches.

3. After removing the bezel and straps, I got the yucky, icky module full of gunk and dirt and probably 22 year old bacteria.

4. After a real good cleaning and scrubbing and fitting the original bezel and strap, the baby is now ready to face the world as he was 22 years ago, yippee

More pictures to drool over.

And finally, a hairy wrist shot!!!

This is the best week of my life so far, finding a gem among a heap of rubbish. I've never owned a 5600c before, and this baby is SOLID with a capital S. Imagine, so many years, and still as good as new. Now, my goal is to get a bezel for my DW-5700 that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, ha ha ha.

Thanks for looking all and sorry for the many pics

TTT

Re: Flea Market Jackpot - Vintage DW-5600C!!!

Nice find, Gameboy!
    I can't believe you didn't try to bargain with the guy though - that would have been awesome if you'd picked it up for $5 or something

What a great find, you lucky man!
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wink Re: Flea Market Jackpot - Vintage DW-5600C!!!

Hi GB2G,

That's a great find. I never find G-Shock's at flea markets... My DW-5600C fell apart last week. A new bezel is on the way.

The last picture I took of it....

and suddenly it fell apart...

Cheers,

Sjors

There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

WOW nice find

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    Nice find, Gameboy!
    I can't believe you didn't try to bargain with the guy though - that would have been awesome if you'd picked it up for $5 or something
    Thanks TTT, but I was so excited I forgot to bargain, in all my years I've never found a vintage and I have been going to that flea market for years. I think I was too grateful

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors View Post
    Hi GB2G,

That's a great find. I never find G-Shock's at flea markets... My DW-5600C fell apart last week. A new bezel is on the way.
    Sjors
    Oh no Sjors, that is sad. Resin rot is funny, you don't know and then when you touch it, poof!!! it all crumbles. We are lucky that this bezel is still available and cheap, 5700 bezel is rare and expensive

That is awesome! I wish something like that would happen to me. I have a regular DW-5600e which I like but you always hear stories about the older DW-5600's lasting years and years without even needing a battery change. I read a review on Amazon.com about a man who had gotten the watch in basic training and 18 years later it was still running on its original battery! Of course, that was before they used the EL lighting. Pretty amazing.
    It's always sunny in Boise!!

Ouch Sjors. Just exactly what kind of flash did you use in your camera to cause that?!

What exactly causes resin rot? Is it caused by too much UV causes the plastic to become brittle?

I have a GW002 where the resin band near the buckle sort of started peeling off slightly. A thin matt layer of stuff peels off and underneath is the higher gloss plastic. The area was rubbed by the strap when wearing and seemed to be growing. i.e. peeling off area grew. I used a spot of super glue (Gorilla glue) and a toothpick to apply the glue on the peeling area to "lock" it down so to speak. The glue dries to a gloss finish though, but at least the peeling stopped. Hooray.

Gotta be careful with the Gorilla glue though. It's designed to react with water and it turns white, expand and becomes and rock hard. But I kept it dry and let it dry naturally and this kept the transparent aspect of the glue. It was the only glue I had at the time.

Ghobbit.

Sweet job!!

Big thumbs up!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information