Is fogging going to hurt my watch?

Thread: Is fogging going to hurt my watch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is fogging going to hurt my watch?

I was riding to work today, and it's not very cold - 10C, when I looked at my GW-1300 and saw that the inside of the crystal had some fog on it. I was a little stunned. It's going to get a lot colder than this - -5 days are typical in winter here, and -10 happens at least a few days a year. The watch is almost brand new, and I'm not worried about the WR, just guessing that the Thai air in there is a little humid. I can read the time through the fog just fine.

But my question is - will this condensation ruin the module? If so, I'm going to need to call Casio about this. Any thoughts? I've read all of the threads in the WUS archive about fogging and I don't think anyone has answered this question.

Re: Is fogging going to hurt my watch?

Fogging is evidence of water ingress. If it's under warranty and not been opened, return it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    Fogging is evidence of water ingress. If it's under warranty and not been opened, return it.
    Like I said, I don't believe this to be water ingress. I think it's humid air inside the watch being cooled that's fogging it. I may end up trying to get it fixed under warranty, but I'd rather not if I don't have to. I've heard of lots of instances of watches with good, functional WR being fogged by humid air, which is what I think is happening. But it seems to me that there's still a possibility of damage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Pinespree,

-10C not cold??? We hardly have those temperatures (maybe once in three or four years). I had a similar fogging in my Raysman at about the same temperatures. The saturation of water vapor is much lower at those temperatures than the temperatures the watch is manufactured, but it's not a good sign though. If you have a local jeweller that can test dive watches, you can ask him to open the watch and check it for you. The air in your region is probaly cork dry at the moment, so if the watch is properly opened and closed after a while, all water vapor should be away... Just a thought.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Sorry that didn't look clear - it is +10C today. But it will be -10 in a few months. Anyway, thank you for the advice. I called casio service and they said I could send it back for warranty repair, and if they determine in their opinion that nothing is wrong, it will only cost me $8 to get it back. So I'll probably do that.

Confused Re: Is fogging going to hurt my watch?

Hi Pinespree, where is that casio service centre? It's not the NJ centre I hope?

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

You could always use the old trick of putting it in a sealed jar full of uncooked rice for a few days — does the same job as silica gel and absorbs the moisture out of the watch. Worth a try before sending it for service.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    You could always use the old trick of putting it in a sealed jar full of uncooked rice for a few days — does the same job as silica gel and absorbs the moisture out of the watch. Worth a try before sending it for service.
    hi seamaster,

I'm not sure I understand you correctly. when you put the watch in a jar - sealed and filled with rice - how exactly is the moisture forced coming out of the watch which is of course also sealed by it's gaskets? or did you mean to open up the watch and put it then into a ricefilled jar?

regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45
    I'm not sure I understand you correctly. when you put the watch in a jar - sealed and filled with rice - how exactly is the moisture forced coming out of the watch which is of course also sealed by it's gaskets? or did you mean to open up the watch and put it then into a ricefilled jar?
    That seems quite correct - if I put it in the rice-filled jar and it did stop fogging, that would mean that my seals were definitely bad, and then I would definitely need to send it in for service.

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors
    where is that casio service centre? It's not the NJ centre I hope?
    It is - is that one notoriously bad? I get the impression that it is the only warranty service center for Casio in the US...and I don't really want to send this out and pay for it, since it's brand new, under warranty, and was a gift to me besides.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information