Follow up to my last GW-5600J Post

Thread: Follow up to my last GW-5600J Post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Follow up to my last GW-5600J Post

Well Gang,
    It is offical, JC Penny's has the GW-5600J and the instructions are in only English. But it is the same exact version from the Japan market down to the 20BAR instead of 200m

The sales lady says on Sunday they watches are on sale via scratch and discount thing. If i can get them for $60+ I will buy up the lot for gifts

As was stated the watch is now on casio.com

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepi...ock/GW5600J-1/

Looks like Casio be listening to us now.

Cheers
    Leon
    P.S the 1500 be on its way to down under any day now

Re: Follow up to my last GW-5600J Post

I wonder if you have to buy the watch first before you do the scratch and win. Or can you do the scratch and win and decide to buy or not to buy.

Specifics on the scratch & save? I thought those only go up to 20% off.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Eckell
    Well Gang,
    It is offical, JC Penny's has the GW-5600J and the instructions are in only English. But it is the same exact version from the Japan market down to the 20BAR instead of 200m

The sales lady says on Sunday they watches are on sale via scratch and discount thing. If i can get them for $60+ I will buy up the lot for gifts

As was stated the watch is now on casio.com

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepi...ock/GW5600J-1/

Looks like Casio be listening to us now.

Cheers
    Leon
    P.S the 1500 be on its way to down under any day now

Do you sell one?

For 60 $ I certainly would like one, but here in Europe the are not being sold...

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzemannetje
    For 60 $ I certainly would like one, but here in Europe the are not being sold...
    With a waveceptor feature that wouldn't work? That would rule it out for me, as would the inability to show day+date.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

What I would realy want is the G-5600. But that would set me back about 130 us dollars, as I would have to order that from Japan (not sold here in Europe).

So if I could buy a GW-5600 that also has the full auto and the solar for about 60 us dollars it would be a nice buy I think, even if the wave ceptor function would not function here in Europe. Makes it basicly the same watch as the G-5600 right?

And, I think the new GW-5600 has less of the battery problems of the G-5600 too, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzemannetje
    And, I think the new GW-5600 has less of the battery problems of the G-5600 too, right?
    Identical problems or lack of problems, to the best of my knowledge - but we've been here before, and I'll try not to bang on about it!

Personally, I find the G-5600 more attractive. Atomic time is great, but you lose so many functions to get it...
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125
    Identical problems or lack of problems, to the best of my knowledge - but we've been here before, and I'll try not to bang on about it!

Personally, I find the G-5600 more attractive. Atomic time is great, but you lose so many functions to get it...
    Flesh that out a bit more please? WHat is the trade off? Both use a 2016 battery? What about timing functions, and date/time display in other functions?

Not a fan of atomic time. I don't have a problem with it, but I wouldn't want it at the expense of any function downgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by jlh2600
    Flesh that out a bit more please? WHat is the trade off? Both use a 2016 battery? What about timing functions, and date/time display in other functions?

Not a fan of atomic time. I don't have a problem with it, but I wouldn't want it at the expense of any function downgrade.
    The G-5600 uses a CTL1616 battery. It was my belief that the GW-5600 also used this battery, but I see that the manual doesn't actually state which battery is used, so perhaps I should be more cautious on that one...

My remark about trade-off was a general reference to waveceptor models, but in the case of the G-5600 and GW-5600 -
    • The G-5600 shows day+date, the GW-5600 doesn't
    • The G-5600 has a 24hr countdown timer, the GW-5600 has a 60 minute countdown timer
    • The G-5600 shows the time in countdown mode, the GW-5600 doesn't (neither show the time in stopwatch mode)
    For me, this makes the G-5600 a more useful watch - in fact it means I wouldn't buy the GW model, even though my ideal G would be a solar atomic model. Other people may not need the G models functions, in which case the GW model might be more attractive.

EDIT

Just to complete my blatherings on this subject...

In addition to the G-5600 functions, the DW-5600 adds alarm setting by date, and date shown in stopwatch mode. It doesn't have dual time (and solar, obviously). I wouldn't want to be without my G-5600, and I don't (yet!) own a DW-5600, but objectively, the DW model is a more practical proposition for me than the G-5600. Do Casio do this on purpose!
    Last edited by tribe125; August 3rd, 2006 at 14:06.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125
    • The G-5600 has a 24hr countdown timer, the GW-5600 has a 60 minute countdown timer
    Actually, it's a 100-hour countdown timer...but I know you know that. It also has a 100-hour stopwatch (vs 24) - I can't say I've ever used either function to anywhere near the limit.

I went back and did the detailed comparison again yesterday, just because of this thread - I'd forgotten what you give up for the atomic sync. My G-5600 has always run +-2 seconds a month at most - maybe I just got lucky - so the sync isn't a great gain for me there.

Beyond that, you get the dual display of time in the other modes beside the stopwatch - that's the only one where they didn't do it. In fact, that is the one shortcoming of the watch - I would've gladly taken the current time vs the hundredths of a second in the box, or, better yet, let me toggle it. I'm sure I'm not the first one to say that...

There was a time I actually considered trying to get every Shock that has a 2597 in it - you'll see there are quite a few if you start looking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information