Foxfire

Thread: Foxfire

Foxfire

I remember a post a while ago about the name foxfire, with lots of different theories coming up, such as the film firefox etc.

Just found this link on foxfire, a type of bioluminescence that ive never heard of before. Maybe thats what they were thinking about when naming it. sounds a bit more logical to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxfire_(bioluminescence)

Foxfire is the term for the bioluminescence created in the right conditions by a few species of fungi that decay wood. The luminescence is often attributed to members of the genus Armillaria, the Honey mushroom, though others are reported, and as many as 40 individual species have been identified. On the suggestion of Benjamin Franklin it was used for light in the Turtle, an early submarine. In the novel The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain, the characters of Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer use foxfire as a source of light in order to dig a tunnel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Foxfire

Ah, that's the good one, I think.

Good find!

nice find - and is that your 6600? i love that model

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wink Re: Foxfire

Hi Bridger,

That''s a cool find. Something tells me maybe this might inspired the makers of the movie Fire Fox. Chemoluminiscence and bio luminiscence is a very interesting sience. I had some students experimenting on it recently.

Well, I'm more the guy of explosions...

and flames:

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

sjors,

are you a chem prof? i got my b.s. in chem a year ago, and we've never had students perform such dangerous (but uber awesome nonetheless) experiments by themselves due to the school's fear of getting sued.

Just an aside comment.

During the old times of the Cold War, NATO countries used a report name system for all Soviet and Warsaw Pact-made equipment. The first letter always came from the function of the equipment, in this case fighter aircrafts. So it was nicknames starting with F for fighters.

For example, Soviet aircraft designed by Mikoyan-Gurevich, better known for their MiG prefix, were:

MiG-15 Fagot
    MiG-17 Fresco
    MiG-19 Farmer
    MiG-21 Fishbed
    MiG-23 Flogger
    MiG-25 Foxbat

...and so on. So when a NATO aircraft encountered in the sky, let's say 2 MiG-25s, the pilot reported by radio 2 Foxbats. It was easier and quicker.

Looking for a touch of realism, the fictional aircraft of Clint Eastwood's movie was named Foxfire*.

MiG-25 Foxbat:

Last edited by Vintage; February 17th, 2008 at 08:10. Reason: * Oooops, I meant Firefox.

that purple DW-6600 is beautiful, i have the yellow one, but would like all three of them!

Quote Originally Posted by enishi1983 View Post
    sjors,

are you a chem prof? i got my b.s. in chem a year ago, and we've never had students perform such dangerous (but uber awesome nonetheless) experiments by themselves due to the school's fear of getting sued.
    Are you a teacher? There's a pretty simple experiment that we call "methane bubbles" and it's nearly always safe and lots of fun.

PM me for details.

Neil

Thread Information