French Foreign Legion
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: French Foreign Legion

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

French Foreign Legion

Looks like a DW-9052? on a Legionaires wrist on jungle warfare training in French Guyana

A Legionaires Captain's LCD watch with compass bezel used for timing individual performances.

Re: French Foreign Legion

Might be a DW-9000. I know those were French military issue.

Here's a pic of Laurent's that shows them in action...

Stuck in landlocked Atlanta.
    My divers:
    Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon White "Mad Cow"
    Doxa Sub750T Caribbean
    Stowa Seatime ProDiver (Black)
    Seikos: 6105, 6309, 7002, 7S26, and 6R15 Divers
    G Shocks: DW5600, DW6100, DW6600, DW9000, G9000 Mudman, G9100 Gulfman, MTG900, GW200 Frogman, GS1000 Giez and a dozen more!

The French military using Smith & Wesson revolvers??!

They appear to be S&W model 686's in .357 Magnum...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Schuey2002 View Post
    They appear to be S&W model 686's in .357 Magnum...
    I'm no expert, but they do indeed. I have a Co2 S&W 586 which looks very similar.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

@ schuey2002,

I'm not quite sure but I would presume the picture is rather a photo of the police special force GIGN than of soldiers....

but besides that, yes the french are known for more trusting in revolvers than semi automatic pistols, rather uncommon these days but effective

regards, holger

effective is the right word...
    greetz and take care!
    alex

Sorry to degrade off topic, but the revolver is Manuhrin--a VERY good one.
    And the unit pictured is the GIGN indeed--the one used in counter terror operations and capturing extremely dangerous criminals. In the legion only automatic pistols are used as sidearms.
    In the Legion Etrangere they DO NOT issue watches to troops. In fact this is one of the small number of items a candidate is allowed to keep when entering selection (together with shaving kit, a french dictionary, underwear, pocket money..) so most recruits enter with their own ones. And if you do not have one, the siren in Aubagne will serve as one But a watch is a necessity when in the service, so most guys end buying one anyway. I do not remember the foyer in Aubagne selling watches
    Maybe the DINOPS are issued some..I do not know. The REI units (infantry) do not get issued watches for sure, and such is the case with the REP (paras). I do not know abut the REG, but doubt it.
    Believe me, I know as it went in one movie with DeNiro I KNOW what color the boathouse is in Hereford (and if there is a boathouse)
    Last edited by sntangerbg; August 25th, 2007 at 21:21.

Someone on another forum also thought they were Manuhrins. MR-73's to be exact..

Quote Originally Posted by sntangerbg View Post
    Believe me, I know as it went in one movie with DeNiro I KNOW what color the boathouse is in Hereford (and if there is a boathouse)
    So, are you implying that you have some real-world experience in the armed forces or law enforcement? That DeNiro quote from "Ronin" caught my attention.

I find all of this very interesting, especially the pic of the officers using revolvers rather than semi-autos...when I saw that I thought the pic was staged by someone who wasn't familiar with the usual equipment issued to most law enforcement and military agencies. Very interesting.
    It's always sunny in Boise!!

Bear in mind that we usually allow guns in pictures of a documentary nature which illustrate the use of watches, but we're not a gun forum.

You could say that we're not a bicycle forum either , but Moderators might use their discretion and limit discussion if a thread turns out to be more about weapons than watches.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information