A friend of mine wants to do a silicone oil immersion mod for kicks, any good sources?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: A friend of mine wants to do a silicone oil immersion mod for kicks, any good sources?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A friend of mine wants to do a silicone oil immersion mod for kicks, any good sources?

We both saw that someone had did a Sinn UXesque type mod and wanted to know where we can get the oil. Thanks (also, what else is involved?)

Re: A friend of mine wants to do a silicone oil immersion mod for kicks, any good sources?

Brad
    Have a great day.

Re: A friend of mine wants to do a silicone oil immersion mod for kicks, any good sources?

or maybe "Hr" forum Hablemos de relojes a spanish forum...
    they made a lot of projects like the one you are telling about....
    watches are meant to tell times..

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by brad15470 View Post

So, I just read this thread. Very interesting stuff but WHAT IS THE HYDRO FOR? Pardon my ignorance on this probably common watch mod.

Is it for practicing your ability to stay perfectly still while not disturbing the bubble?

Is it for levelling your bookshelf?

What is it for?
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by 1540 View Post
    So, I just read this thread. Very interesting stuff but WHAT IS THE HYDRO FOR? Pardon my ignorance on this probably common watch mod.

Is it for practicing your ability to stay perfectly still while not disturbing the bubble?

Is it for levelling your bookshelf?

What is it for?
    Pressure; the watch can go well passed the 20Bar level, the fluid inside the watch handles the outer pressure, not in module.
    Brad
    Have a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by brad15470 View Post
    Pressure; the watch can go well passed the 20Bar level, the fluid inside the watch handles the outer pressure, not in module.
    Brad, thanks for the answer. A diver's thing I guess?
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Lao Tzu

Well it's official! Finally got the old DW-6600 fixed up. I bought a perfectly good 6900 on Craigslist and used it for its bezel and band, then proceeded to use valve oil (for trumpets and such) and filled the sucker up! Zero bubbles, zero issues, gasket looked good, etc. no leaks! It really helps to take the module completely out, fill it, submerge it, etc. and have a very bright light overhead so you can see what you are doing!!

Also, being able to shake the bubbles out quickly is key...I used my wife's bullet vibe against the side of the cut down red solo cup I used for the job. No bubbles and good vibrations! (OK yeah I admitted that...but anyone here married knows our girls all got one).

One other tip...take it totally apart first! Take the band off, take the bezel off...way easier cleanup later, and to watch (pun intended) for leaks out button holes/use low air pressure to blow oil out/etc).

Oh, I also stealthed the bezel while I was here. ;)

Salute!

Sam
    mt1tdi likes this.

By the by...my original band was toast, the bezel was in a million pieces. No I don't feel bad about turning a 6900 into a parts piece. Paid $20 for the watch in practically brand new shape. Cheaper than after market bezels on eBay. Next is my now 25 year old 5200. Still on its second battery (barely functioning), but I don't have the tool to remove the back. It also needs a bezel. PS-my 6600 is as old as the day they came out. Has to be 18-20 years now? Pretty cool that 5 years after joining this forum I finally fixed something! LOL!!!
    Last edited by yosemitesamiam; March 14th, 2013 at 23:52. Reason: Mis-info memory issues (mine)

We. need. pictures.
    Life is short. Drink good beer.

"Never try to outstubborn a cat.” -- Robert A. Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Quote Originally Posted by yosemitesamiam View Post
    Well it's official! Finally got the old DW-6600 fixed up. I bought a perfectly good 6900 on Craigslist and used it for its bezel and band, then proceeded to use valve oil (for trumpets and such) and filled the sucker up! Zero bubbles, zero issues, gasket looked good, etc. no leaks! It really helps to take the module completely out, fill it, submerge it, etc. and have a very bright light overhead so you can see what you are doing!!

Also, being able to shake the bubbles out quickly is key...I used my wife's bullet vibe against the side of the cut down red solo cup I used for the job. No bubbles and good vibrations! (OK yeah I admitted that...but anyone here married knows our girls all got one).

One other tip...take it totally apart first! Take the band off, take the bezel off...way easier cleanup later, and to watch (pun intended) for leaks out button holes/use low air pressure to blow oil out/etc).

Oh, I also stealthed the bezel while I was here. ;)

Salute!

Sam
    Quote Originally Posted by riffraff View Post
    We. need. pictures.

OK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information