Frog case backs - would you open them?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Frog case backs - would you open them?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I have always admired the Frogs from afar and I know that they are ISO certified for 200M WR and it's etched on the back that they should be opened by authorized Casio service centers only.

Nevertheless I am curious...are there folks on this board who have ventured to open them up (for whatever reason)?

I only do my own battery changes now after terrible experiences with Casio UK for battery changes. That includes Frogmen.

If the case back is too tight for me to open then I take it to a local watch repairer who opens it for me but still do the rest myself. I wouldn't recommend starting to learn on a Frogman but they are all pretty similar once the back is off.

Re: Frog case backs - would you open them?

The only trick is to be able to re-assure water resistance once its reassembled. That takes some practice. You would, of course, defeat the ISO rating, but that is meaningless in actual use anyway. Maybe practice on a $50 G? Are you planning on diving with it?
    " Don't trust anyone who says they're too good for an SKX007 and claims to be a WIS" - A Pine Tree

Watches: Rolex GMT Master II 16760,
    Rolex Submariner 14060M, Doxa 750T Sharkhunter, Doxa 1200T Professional, Marathon SS Navigator (1992 Kuwait), Seiko SRP777, Seiko SKA427P1, Seiko SKX007, Garmin Fenix 5, Suunto Core and countless G-Shocks

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't own a Frogman, but I have gone diving with other Gs that I've opened for modding and doing battery changes. I've never had a leak problem.

If I had a Frog, I wouldn't be at all hesitant to open it up with the correct tool. If you are careful, and have reasonable dexterity, you can assure that quality work is done on your watch.

You can read horror stories here about damage done by purported professionals. With screw back watches, the main issue is getting the threads started correctly and not overtightening the back which can damage the gasket.

With the standard 4 screws, the main issue is making sure that the o-ring gasket is in the correct channel and that each of the four screws is properly started so you don't strip out the plastic. I've opened up used watches and found pinched gaskets due to incompetence. Those watches would have immediately flooded.

I don't own a Frogman either though I have always done watch battery changes myself (and yes with the right tools and taken necessary precautions).

Thanks to those who have responded so far and if anyone has pics of the exposed movements feel free to post.

I definitely wouldn't do that on my Frogs as I've no experience in opening up watch casebacks, especially screwbacks.

I've opened many Frogmans. No different than any other screwback, although the old 8200's are often sealed REALLY tight by Casio. GW-200 series seems easier to open. I have not opened any of the atomic frogs

lvt

Perosnally I would do it if needed.

For this type of watch, you must have a proper caseback opener, a new gasket and gasket lubricant (nerver re-use the old gasket on a professional dive watch once you opened its caseback).
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Having servicing performed by professionals is important if you don't do it yourself. One purported professional watch guy scratched the begeezus out of my old Seiko quartz piece with a screw-back; I could have done a better job with a pair of pliers and have never returned. By comparison, Swiss Fine Timing in Chicago took beautiful care of my grandmother's watch and performs water resistance testing with all battery changes. When the time comes, I'd probably be inclined to do battery service on lower-end Gs but would seek out an accredited professional for pieces like the Frogman and the GW-5000.

LUW

With the right tools, no problem. Been there, done that.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information